Horses With People Problems?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by FDPH, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

This is a fantastic read guys! Lots to think about and question yourself on. Can we keep it going pleeessseeee :D

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Thanks, there not all on there, nor is it 100% up to date, to busy with Secret Santa pmsl.

3. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

I have a bit of a question...
    (sorry i have not read the whole thread)

But do some horses actually prefer having a male/woman owner?
    I have never 'met' a horse like that..?

4. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

ALL of my horses except one prefer Wayne over me, because Wayne gives loves, and cuddles and carrots and never asks them to no anything other than look lovingly into his eyes and fall asleep in his arms at shows etc.

Wayne is good cop, I am forced to play bad cop, when Wayne gets trodden on its not HIS horse that behaves bad its MY horse, and can I please give His horse back once I have "fixed" my horses problems.

Tayla prefers me over anyone else, she is "special", run forest run.

I have met horses, seems to be a Stallion thing to that really prefer woman over men, usually because they work more with woman than men. Women have softer tones and tend to ask more than tell, but I am generalizing here.

There can be preferences due to past mistreatment also.

And Flick I am real good and digging holes for myself lol, but I do need the exercise *#)

5. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

Makes sense :)
    Thanks Sharaway

6. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Glad I do to someone :)*

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

What you said about good cop / bad cop....same thing happens here : )

and it's interesting what you say about the stallions, ive found that I get more response from them, and they arch up more with my OH - most likely as you say, they do more with me, and I put them in their place.
    The geldings love the OH - he's the nice guy, and they are chilled out / lazy so it works well : )

8. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Eoroe, I am sick of fighting it around here, I used to get all upset when the horse I wanted to ride would not let me catch it and would walk up to Wayne like a puppy, I hated that Mare, and she new it to lol. Mongrel to ride lol great horse to drive in harness but a lumpy cow to ride lol.

In the end I just handed Wayne the lead rope and halter and told him to go fetch, these days its not so dynamically differant lol. Thank god, seems I have matured and project far less than I used to pmsl.

Now we see it as a strength, we are a very effective tag team, and together we get the best result for our horses.

9. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

: ) Ive had to learn that one over the last couple of months as well : ) I figured he was more likely to not help if I didnt let him do it his way, he's not really into training all that much : ) - and I really needed the help.
    LOL : )Yes - ive gotten used to not feeling so guilty telling him what to do - re. Go fetch : ) Keepin it simple : )
    I'ts lovely though, as you say, an efffective tag team, when it all meshes : )
    Ive really enjoyed it lately with him so involved - their has been no involvement in the past : )

(Do you reckon we are still being entertaining ;) ....LOL!)

10. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Sorry I should have explained a little better, it’s just when people say you have a fear when you use restraints such as Hobbles, if you don’t know the reasons you should never judge.

I don’t like collar ropes but if people use them well that’s there choice.

I have seen more horses restrained worse in rugs LOL and all I want to do is rip them of LOL.

We should never judge others, our horses don’t have a people problem and they are happy free moving horses.

Why do we have to have Americans telling us how to train our horses when Australia has some of the best in the world, but a lot of these are just quiet achievers.

Enjoy your horse as a horse, they will take you to the end of the world and back if you understand them without all the complications.

Cheers Janet:)

11. saltriver

saltriver Guest

....but do the horses have a choice ........

12. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Does a goldfish trapped in a bowl have a choice?
    Does a dog dragged on a lead have a choice?
    Does a young fat tailed lamb on the truck have a choice?

Of course the horse doesnt have a choice, what sort of question was that?

Would a horse choose to be a show hack, a dressage diva or a wild brumby, I really dont think that horses think that much about it. But you know what Saltriver, I will ask mine tonight when I feed them, the only answer I will get in the contented sounds of a horse being fed **)

13. FDPH

FDPH Guest

the point of it all was that people are quick to say my horse does this my horse does that and there is a thread on stockies about destroying problem horses, what, evertime a horse goes bad you destroy it so that person can buy another one wait for it to turn bad and destroy it, i was putting up the thought that maybe humans rather than blame the horse they should look at what they have done to cause the problem, a horse has no problems untill the human gets into his life the "horse is a reflection of the riders ability"

and as for the americans i agree especially in cutting and reining!!!!

thats right people make horses very complicated........

feel timing and balance comes from riding alot of horses all the time (25 a day perhaps!!!) the horse is the teacher but we forget to listen and he spends his life telling us!

14. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Nah, reads like we are bonding now, that will bore them to tears lol.

I do hear you, I have to keep it simple for the OH, I am not allowed to move gear around so that he knows where to find it lol.

But you know when you have them hooked, when the OH starts giving you training advice and questions why you feed certain horses differant to others lol.

And gone from hooked to SOLD when they start telling you what shows you should be doing next ROFLMAO.

15. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Yep my horses have a choice.....do it the easy way or do it the hard way but you WILL do it!!

16. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

17. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

hahahah Love your work Pockets, **)

18. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Im going to dare to object that. I had a bombproof horse complete and utterly. Owned her for 4 yrs re-educated her from bushhack to competition mount, NEVER spooked at anything in the time i had her, kangaroos would leap out of bushes, trucks/trains/motorbikes would roar past, dogs would come barking at her heels and nothing, not a falter in stride. We did the Awesome Arts Festival 05 in the city, had us in next to a 10ft stack of speakers. Circue Du Soleil (sp) promo came on CLASH, BANG went the speakers into the cymbal etc music they have. The 4 ponies scattered, people nearby visibly jumped... she didnt even flinch.

But anyway back to what i was going to say, this is a very interesting read of a thread. I agree horses have people problems and i know many people who just will not take on advice. I personally dont believe there is one way to do something or that one way is better then another or that NH is best. I personally use a lot of it i prefer my own methods which have worked far successfully will all types of horses including gaining trust after mistreatment or entire letdowns by humans.

I believe too many people have horses which have developed problems due to their handlement or lack of towards them or the fear they do have of them. Im very outright, what you see is what you get and my horses know it. We also know eachothers boundaries and we all work successfully together as a team. I prefer to listen to what my horse WANTS to do rather then FORCE them to be a "dressage horse" or a "hack" or a "show jumper". Some horses are good at those things but dont enjoy it, i try them until i find what they love and thats what i do with them.

19. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Ok them...how about if a car exploded 20 metres away from you...would your horse react to that? How about if a dog latched its teeth onto its leg...would the horse react to that?? If no and your horse would stand there and not move and ignore it then your horse is bombproof!

20. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Was she deaf? ;) :)

I'm not entering the labyrinth of training methods. My solution to "horses with people problems" is matching the horse and rider. There's nothing like a well suited couple to make it all look easy.