Horses going feral

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Daxter, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Daxter

Daxter Active Member

We have always agisted in the past but recently moved to a big property and have the 4 horses with us. They have become extremely clingy and cannot cope if one or two of them are split up, we recently went for a walk with two of them just down the road and the other two went mad, whinnying, rearing and running up and down, we have tried riding in plain site of the others and the same result, we have tried riding out of sight and the same result. We are now paddocking them separately to see if that helps but they were always together at the last place in a big paddock. It is like they have all experienced this big move along with us and are now frightened of being separated in case they never see each other again, we occasionally attend the odd show and now fear that we will not be able to as the horse we take will just freak out being removed from the others. Any tips on how to make them comfortable to be ridden on their own?

2. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Persevearance......bascially that is it at this stage.

How often have you tried taking them away from each other?

And at the last place did they have other horses around that were not in the paddock with them when being seperated? Nearby paddocks for example?

The horse you take will be a challenge over your ability to retain its focus - the only way to do this is make yourself the ultimate leader, and establish this, remind this at all times, with all the horses.

For the horses you leave behind - it will make you worry, but all you can do is risk mangement. You cannot control their every movement. So safe fencing, and safe paddocks minimises the danger.

It is going to be a challenge, and they are now living under you constant guidance, and your rules, and your leadership. The will settle with time as they realise you are boss, and that you will make sure everything is A-OK.

As a herd, things are amplified...if someone has a great Idea - they all jump on the bandwagon. I find that removal of on horse from the heard and riding it up the road is often more cause for lunacy than removing tem all together.....2 out of 6 times the remaining herd will act like a bunch of lunatics for the hell of it...

And lets face it.....its a new exciting home for you - they are probably picking up on it ;)

God luck!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

ours are the same, carry on like pork chops if you so much as shift one to another paddock 2 ft further on ,but none of them give a rats bum once they are out- could not care less, well behaved and focused on what they are doing.
    I find if we take one away in the float the others calm down pretty quickly, its only if we are still within their communication distance that they continue with the carry on.

4. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I ignore whoever is left in the paddock being an idiot:D. All I care about is who I am working. As long as the horse I am working stays focussed then I am happy. I find that the one's left behind will occasionally feed off each other as far as anxiety goes and seem to like to get themselves in a state. Then there are other times when you take a few away and no one left in the paddock bats an eyelid';'.

If I yard up I usually don't seperate one horse on its own I always have two or three yarded side by side as this attends to thier herd issue. I think having a horse yarded away from the mob on its own too much is unfair as they are a herd animal. The way I look at it is they either have me with them or they have a mate with them.

5. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I think everyone has this problem at some stage, im lucky because i have horses in reasonable numbers at my place, i am always changing the paddocking system around. If i get one that is an attached type i will make sure i put it with or next to the horses who dont call back and who are disinterested in him/her.

i dont allow the horses to call out when im handling them, and certainly never allow them to swing their heads all over the place. I cringe when i see people allowing their horses to swing their heads around, many times i have seen a horse clean up a persons face from bad manners and being obsessed with calling out swinging their heads all over the place as they please.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I have this issue.

The horse taken away is fine, the horse left behind not so much.

So mine are in a steel yard and I simply leave and do as I wish with the other horse. Their not going to hurt themselves, just get a little worked up, but can't get out.

I basically lock them up and leave them to it! One has come to her senses and just calls out slightly. The other was gelded in May (as a four year old) and thinks my filly is his girl so can get a little worked up when I take her away.
    I make it a weekly habit to take either horse away for a walk (or ride) and leave one behind to get used to it. Seized the opportunity to try this routine at a friends place in Perth to practice else where when not in a show environment.

I prefer to have my horses yarded when taking another way rather then in a paddock.

Like Scorpio when handling I don't allow calling out / prancing etc. So mine are fine when handled in-hand or ridden and can be taken away with absolutely no fuss or wanting to return to the calling horse.

7. Silhouette

Silhouette Well-known Member

How do you deal with the ones that call out? I know my mare has become attached to another little mare, now they both call to each other when taken away, other pony doesnt care when shes being ridden, but mine will call, be ignorant etc when im riding her, i try to engage her mind by doing some shoulder in transistions etc but she still calls out..