Horses eating Grapevines

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by OBHH, Dec 10, 2009.

1. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Has anyone done or know about any research into horses eating grapevines? My pony loves to eat them (the leaves and growing grape buds), are they detrimental in anyway.

2. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Question : Is your pony dead yet ? If not the probaly fine

Horses/ponies dont usually eat plants that will harm them so if you pony has sufferd no ill effect i would asume they would be ok.*#)

My boy loves grapes and he has been having them for years **)

Grape leaves are edible to humans, but they are usually steamed or cooked, this probably dissolves the crysolith hairs,(the furry bits, which are generally not that stout). So there could be a possible slight stomach reaction by Horses, if they gorge themselves on it

**)

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

grape seeds cause bleeding and gut problems in dogs. My mothers dog was put down because of what was assumed to be intestinal cancer. She used to pick teh grapes off the grape vine and Mum later read somethgn that said grape seed will cause intestinal bleeding :(
    Dont know if it does hte same in horses.

I wouldnt believe that horses rarely eat things poisonous. Have heard too many stories of poisoned horses to trust that one.

4. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Yeah in dogs they can prove fatal #(

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Horses do go well on grapevines! Grape seed extract is a very powerful anti-oxidant that has been proven with its benefits thru an Honours project at Muresk @ Curtin University.**):D

Also, a South Australian company are producing and selling a low GI , high fibre pellet based on grape seeds and skins for horses called Smart Feed. So yes, it is safe to feed! The feed product is under the ProVine label!:)*:))ProVine - Smart Feed - (Horse feed)

6. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Seems that some horses take a liking to widening their taste buds LOL. When I had my horses at home if I let them out to graze around the house block they used to stand and eat a huge bamboo plant that was growing there, they loved it. I was thinking of painting one of the horses black and white and selling them to Perth zoo as a panda!

7. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

My horses eat grevillea (sp????) which worries me because I think it contains the active ingredient of pyrethrum (sp again?????). Any ideas???

8. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Our pony Cecil we used to have when let out to roam would gorge himself on the apricot tree... he spent a majority of his time under it eating them off the tree.

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Ome of my paddocks has a huge palm looking thing but its not a palm. everytime I let them in there they eat it. They haven't died yet;)