Horse Wrestling.. opinions?

Discussion in 'News Items' started by Marz, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Marz

Marz Well-known Member

2. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

As sad as it is.. We in Australia don't have problems with this sort of stuff happening to cows? So IMHO we shouldn't have a problem with it happening to horses.

It's an ancient festival and not going to stop any time soon, I'd say.

3. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I would be interested to know how many people have had serious injuries doing this....

lucky they are spanish bred and not thoroughbreds or i think there would be a high fatality rate lol

4. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Is that because TBs are too smart to tollerate it *#)

5. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

hahahahha *#)

6. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

What is it with Spanish people torturing animals for 'entertainment'?

Running of the bulls, horse wrestling ... ';'#(

Don't they have TV? Or sex?

7. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

nah its because they panic and wonder WTF????????????!!!

Spanish horses are so intelligent that they work out that it is in their best interest to be nice and then kick the bastard in the balls when he least expects it

8. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I often wonder the same thing... I think they have too much Bravado hen... the Iberian people love being the centre of attention and like to show off doing stupid things.

9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

sounds like you think thats a good thing :O

10. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

nah I think its a bit stupid, just like the running of the bulls.

But it is one of these long standing traditions that probably wont change for another 400 years... :(

11. Pseudoname

Pseudoname New Member

i have actualy been in spain and witnesed it first hand.

its not nice to watch but i loved seeing the men get injured, sometimes really badly.

on the whole their quick with the horses, its sad how terified the gg's are, but its not any diferent to anything we do to cows in aust!

the pics they show in that article are nowhere near as bad as it actualy is tho :(

12. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

i to would think that the men were in more danger than the horses at least they are released back to the hills after not dead in a pet food can
    ive seen horses here that do the scared look if you aproach them with a lead rope
    live and let live we are a bit like the pot calling the kettle black we should sort out our own backyard before we poke our noses into other countrys

13. sil

sil Gold Member

Horse wrestling... isn't that what I do when changing rugs? :p

14. carol51

well said and i agree and could the farrier be said to wrestle with horses and even vets

15. I hate it being done to horses and I hate it being done to cattle. Another reason I don't like rodeos, not my cup of tea and unfair on the animals :(

16. carol51

so is breaking and riding them or putting them in front of a plough and all the other things we do with them wake up and smell the horse poo .
    does your cat or dog eat meat where do you think it comes from i dont like cruelty either but wise up humans are a barbaric race

17. Marz

Marz Well-known Member

well if breaking in is done right, it's nothing like a rodeo. I don't know how you imagine horse breaking to be...

And just because it is being done here, doesn't matter we should put up with it anywhere.

And just because meat is eaten, doesn't mean the meat was taken in a cruel manner.

Some things are necessary if we wish to continue with our life style and traditions. Sometimes we just have to weigh up what we value more.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  18. carol51

i didnt say breaking a horse is cruel although some peoples way of doing it can be.i have worked in export abs and i have seen my fair share of cruelty there mind you ive seen cruelty around the show ring to a horse getting the whip taken to his penis becouse he hung it out i deem to be cruel but everyone there seemed to accept i was glad that day to be spectater i went home and no we dont have to accept it if i sold a horse would the new owner let me tell them what to do with it NO i guess thats how the people feel who buy the beef

19. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

I dunno guys, that didn't sound as bad has horse fighting in south asia. Is it an ideal way to handle horses, no, is it really cruel and needing immediate outrage, not in my view. Horse fighting, hells yes it is an immediate and urgent problem. So some somewhat dumb and testosterone filled blokes in spain trim and tag some spanish brumbies then release them in an annual fesitval...Does that compare to years of abuse, and i mean abuse, with poorly used bits and spurs forcing horses in unnatural frames to perform risky tasks, ridden and in pain. Not in the books of this little black duck.

Great article to bring up for discussion, cheers **)