horse wont walk any furthuer then his paddock gate

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by lozza987, Dec 11, 2013.

1. lozza987

lozza987 New Member

I am having trouble getting my horse to walk out of his paddock. He is fine to catch but as soon as we get out of the gate he wont walk any furthuer. He doesnt look scared nor does he move backwards he just wont move forward. I've tried bribing, circling him, getting behind him. After circling him for 20 mins he usually moves but that cuts into our riding time and I feel like he may start to feel more dominat over me if he gets away with it. Everyday its starting to get longer and longer to get him to move. His past story is that before I bought him he hadnt been ridden in 9 months and he always seemed to be slow walking from the paddock to the barn. Once he is all tacked up he is fine and we usually have a great ride. But if I don't fix this problem his ridding time will be cut into and he might start to think he is the boss in our relationship. Please help!!!!

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I would enlist the help of a professional to give you some skills to deal with this problem.

Forget about it cutting into your riding time - pretty soon you won't be able to even do that!

There are some very easy and effective people out there, my first recommendation would be Horsewest.

3. kp

kp Well-known Member

Easy and effective. A second person with a whip! One good hard smack gets them out of this crap in a hurry!

He is dominating you. Don't be concerned he may start to, as the bird as flown on that one. Don't be scared of upsetting him. Sounds like about time you rock the boat a bit with him.

4. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

A good hard stinging slap on the bum with a deep growley voice works wonders.

5. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

If your horse has been doing this a while he will think he is the boss and may get defensive if you start pushing him too hard. If you can't enlist the help of a professional either because of budget constraints or where you are situated etc then I would suggest circling him whilst moving in the direction you want to go. It keeps his feet moving and you at a safe distance so he can't back up if he's moving forward neither can her rear, etc. After you have done this a few times get him in on a tighter circle and then walk with him as if you were circling him but in fact you will be walking in a straight line. Not sure if you will understand the last bit, it's much easier to demonstrate. He would also benefit from some HQ yielding then FQ yield etc then back up so he knows that you can move his feet where and when you want to. This will immediately make him less dominant but the exercises must be done right (i.e. full HQ yield with the back feet crossing and the front end stationary etc.) If the horse yields the hind without crossing his back feet he's not yielding at all he's just moving his HQ. same goes if he still moves forward with the HQ yield. same goes for FQ and back up. Ensure he's putting in an effort not just shuffling his feet. Do this in the paddock prior to even taking him out the gate if you can.

6. cobmum

cobmum Active Member

Are you riding him every time you are taking him out of the paddock? My mare used to do the same so I started bringing her to the stable block for cuddles and a treat not just for riding, she stopped planting after a while but on the occasion she still did I would ask her to move forward ensuring I wasn't blocking her with my body language after three times of 'asking' she would get a tap on the bum and immediate release.

When you are walking try no try to think 'I bet he stops again' imagine your horse striking actively beside you, raise your energy levels and if in doubt sing 'keep rolling rolling rolling' out loud :)

7. duel_jetty

duel_jetty New Member

Even easier...

Hitting your horse will make him less willing to approach the gate. Think about it from his perspective- every time he approaches the gate he gets hit or pulled, so it makes more sense to hold back.

The easiest way to fix this is to start feeding him outside the paddock! Set up a hay net or feed bin in the normal place you tack up. If you take him out and tie him up for meals he will pretty soon learn that leaving the paddock= good things.

If feeding him outside isn't an option, set aside an entire afternoon to just lead him in and out. Lead him out, do a circle, back in, out again... The first time it will takes ages, as you are finding now, but after a while it will get boring for him and he will be habituated to walking in and out. Once he is walking well, give him a pat and put him back in the paddock without going riding, as a reward for good behaviour.

8. old_mate

Tip toe around your horses if you want. BUT really a stinging slap on the arse and a good growling voice will nip many a problem in the bud. The horse will take you seriously.
    Your horse does not need to love you it needs to respect you as the leader who needs to be followed/ obeyed.
    Watch the Alpha Mare in a herd. The Alpha Mare is not nice, if a herd member steps out of line she is not going to be nice about it.
    If you are too nice to your horse YOU are going to become the bottom herd member increasing your chances of being bitten and kicked and ignored by your horse.
    Horses are a large dangerous animal when they get out of hand and by pandering to your horse you are doing no favours to it or yourself.
    A disrespectful horse is a dangerous horse.

9. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

I agree Old Mate. Don't know that you need the stinging slap on the arse lol. It's more a case of ask nicely, tell firmly then make it uncomfortable if they won't do it. This may be where the slap on the arse comes into play but build up to that point rather than just slap on the arse. That way the horse anticipates what will happen before it happens and will move off lighter pressure and therefore will become more respectful in the future. It's more like you are training them to do the right thing rather than just making them do the right thing. A bit like kids and men, if you make it their idea they are more likely to do it consistently.

10. old_mate

A slap on the arse from me using my hand is a love tap compared to the amount of force that one horse will use on another.
    My husband's horse was refusing to load onto the float, my husband was talking to the horse in a nice tone of voice trying to get it on the float.
    I came up in behind the off to one side, said "up you go" in a deep voice and gave him(the horse not my husband, but I wanted to give my husband a slap on the bum too for being too soft on his horse) a good slap on the bum.
    The horse was up the ramp and on the float in a second. Every now and then the horse will think about playing up on my husband on the ramp BUT all I need to do is start walking around towards the horse and the horse tucks his tail down and loads quick smart.
    I have slapped my husband's horse twice in seven years, once for going to bite me and once when loading onto the float. I am not suggesting that people beat their horses up, but you do need to be VERY firm with them.

One of the suggestions made was that the OP horse did not want to go past the gate because it was going to get ridden. My response to that was so ? That is what most people have horses for?
    I used to ride everyday, so my horse used to know what it was going to happen when it saw me...work followed by food lol...he used to wait for me at the gate to get out and put his head down for the bridal.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  11. lebonstern

lebonstern New Member

From my experience it could just be that the horse is getting bored from doing the same thing all the time. Eg flat work day in day out.
    I am a dressage rider and have 4 horses in work currently everyone of them has totally different work ethics.
    1 loves the arena he feels safe and in his little bubble he hates change. The other a stallion he only works 2-3 days a week in arena as he gets sour we work out 2-3 days a week and a lunge in just mixing it up.
    The problem with working your horse 20 mins then riding him you are making him fitter also...
    Try backing him through the gate and all the way to the barn. You may need a whip the first time to encourage him back if he doesnt know how but sometimes doing this confuses them and doesnt cause an argument before work. Tap him just above the front leg till he moves it back tell him he is good when he does it if this is new to him so he understands what you want. And say back that way he learns the word back as the cue without the whip.
    Or it could be that you as the owner needs to be a bit firmer with what you are asking but I dont know you so thats a little hard to judge.
    But remember for them to respect you u need to respect them so what ever approach you take start by asking nicely then get a little firmer till you get a response, and remember to praise him when he responds.
    Even if this means taking him out of the paddock backing him to the barn giving him a brush and putting him away.remember they have off days also.
    Good luck with him im sure u will sort it out.

12. krayzee

krayzee New Member

From what I've read over the past few years, horses who only worked in arenas suffer a kind f restrictive,contained exercise regime. Mostly overbent and frustrated and fed to the nines . Poor buggers. No wonder they arc up. take them for a long slow walk on the beach or in the bush. Sheesh.