Horse with Fractured Pelvis?????

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by leah, Nov 15, 2007.

1. leah

leah Well-known Member

Help does anyone have any info on fractured Pelvises in their horses..... Not one of ours thankfully.... but a very good friend....... We would love any experiances or advice on rehab.... good or Bad. not sure currently the extent of the fracture but all advise is welcomed....

2. samm

samm Gold Member

Rest and comfrey.
    Gypsies used to call comfrey "Knitbone" as it is full of allantoin and produces new cells quickly healing bone.
    It has been said it can cause liver damage but the gypsies have fed comfrey leaf to their horses for years with little ill effects.

3. HeidiBoo

HeidiBoo New Member

My arab mare fractured her pelvis last christmas, her prognosis was bleak though, as it seperated. She was ethanised, as there was such a slim chance of recovery, plus the box rest would have blown her mind as she was such an active horse and hated being in.

Good luck for the other one though.

4. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I have a good friend whose horse fractured its pelvis. The horse had to be retired from riding and can't be bred from. Took a while to diagnose too :(

5. leah

leah Well-known Member

Samm... How did teh Comfrey get fed to the horse. My friend has this plant but is unsure how to give it.

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i have a magazine article on it - Hoofbeats V28 No 3 from oct/nov 06

7. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

leah

If it is fractured and will get better in time I have a pamphlet,
    one put out by Dr. John Kohnke, that shows you how to do an exercise {walking and leading ]that strengthens all the top of the rear end etc. If you would like to have a look, send me your email in private messages I will email the pamphlet to you, Or better still when you get your results and the prognosis is good ,email Kohne your self as I have heard he is very helpful when you need advice. hope every thing is O.K.

8. samm

samm Gold Member

Horses will eat a comfrey leaf put in the feed or just offered to them.
    As with any herb moderation is the key so dont overdo it.Just one leaf every 2nd day will do.

Ps if she has any spare plants I'd be grateful to be able to buy some from her.......:)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  9. leah

leah Well-known Member

Thanks guys this is soooo helpful... I will mention about Konke ( sp ) and if she has spare plants too. Wont know for sure till tues but prognosis isnt tooo good. horse seems to be in a lot of pain when not on Bute. They are good people and will do what is right for the horse, even if it breaks their hearts...:( :(

10. Jewels'

Jewels' Well-known Member

Many years ago a friend's horse fractured his pelvis and the prognosis looked rasonable but unfortunately after 9 months, it still hadn't healed well enough for him to have a good quality of life so they made the hard decision to put him to sleep.

On a positive note, my partner had a pacer who fractured his pelvis and Happy went on to win 3 more races and was retired due to an unrelated injury.

I think it depends on the severity and how stable the fracture is initially.

I hope the outlook for your friend's horse is good and with time and treatment, he/she will recover.

Julie

11. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Spirit fractured hios pelvis at qaround 3 yrs of age, Prognosis was belak with the vet advising him to be PTS with little chanceof ever being sound or rideable again. I refused loved him too much so took on a mammoth task of healing him with months of box rest than months of yard only then slowly into a small paddock and then finally out into the big paddock.
    He hooned like an idiot the first day out in the big paddock and was immediately lame and sor so was restricted back to a yard for a fortnight. He was much quieter the next time he was let out and went on from there getting stronger and stronger. Spirit is 22 this year has done a 300km ride from Perth to harvey, many years of PC and even some eventing and the odd endurance ride and has never been lame since that day.
    Good luck with your friends horse.

12. Alih

Alih New Member

hi! My mare fractured her pelvis when she was 13mnths old. She did this by slipping on the frost and doing the splits in a paddock in Melbourne. She was boxed for three months and the vet gave us a 99% chance of full recovery with only sight muscle deteriation on the right hind quarter. That was 9yrs ago and since then she has sucessfully hacked, dressaged, jumped and last year foaled without any difficulties and no after affects. This is my success story and I believe she has many more years ahead of her in the show ring. I love my mare and I would have made the same decision all over again to buy her knowing her injury and taking the chance on her making a full recovery. Good luck with your friends horse.

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

We had a little mare that fractured hers foaling twins. She didn't show discomfort for quite a while (almost a year). It wasn't until we went to put her back under saddle that she would break into a sweat almost immediately she was ridden (no sign of lameness or anything else). The vet took quite a while to pinpoint what it was and traced it back to 99% sure it happened while foaling. Over time the fracture had widened and was progressively worsening. She was PTS:(