horse vets

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by kt20, Nov 27, 2007.

1. kt20

kt20 Active Member

OK so I have decided I need to get some x-rays on my horse. He just isn't 100% on hard ground and I ahve been pretending its all fine but to be honest I need to at least check it out. I am newish to Perth though and haven't had much to do with vets so far (touch wood). Would Murdoch be best for something like this?- its a case of x-rays and maybe discussion if anyhting shows up. Opinions welcome - hope this is OK, mods.

2. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Chris Gales at Belvoir**)

3. I had my horse Xrayed no worries at Wattle Grove and also Donna at Serpentine does them too I believe.

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

I would find a really good farrier who could look at the feet first. (I recently aquired a nice galloper who had been sacked because a vet said he had arthritis, but when the farrier came to take his shoes off he showed me extensive bruising on 3 feet). You just might save some money.
    Why do you think it's a bone problem? What are the symptoms?
    Many horses, especially TB's, have underslung heels and hate working on hard ground.
    Some horses have been always kept on sand/grass and their feet never get the chance to toughen up enough.
    Have you considered boots to see if the problem improves?

5. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Hi kt20 :)

Alot of horses aren't 100% on hard ground. In fact alot of horses aren't even 100% on soft ground :)

Is he favouring one leg in particular or is he sore all around? Is he shod or barefoot? What sort of surfaces give him the most trouble?

6. Saiorse

Saiorse Well-known Member

X-rays are a great way of getting to the bottom of things, I had one of my intermittantly lame horses done at my local vet's - sure you can too.

The interpretation of the X-ray is the contentious bit. The vet I paid to take the X-rays gave me his opinion and his solution, my trimmer another...

So good luck with getting this simple procedure done, and best of luck working out what to do with the information!

XJ

Horsemanship with Jayne Lavender
    www.jaynelavender.com
    jayne@jaynelavender.com

7. kp

kp Well-known Member

My vote is for Murdoch. Firstly they will want to do a lameness exam to try and pinpoint the lameness and then x-ray. They have the best vets there, and are great to deal with.

8. Haulix

Haulix Well-known Member

Dr Trevor Lindsay at Larkhill Vets. He is brilliant, (my boss) :)*

9. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Yep I have heard that he is the best vet to see when it comes to lameness issues:)

10. Smiley n Me

Smiley n Me Gold Member

Where abouts are you located?

I will also vouch for Larkhill...

I would take him to the vets and just ask for a check and see what they say about x-rays as well

:)

11. rockon

rockon Active Member

A Murdoch fan here- great vets and great facilities.

12. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Murdoch is great....................but then I still have a lame horse:(

13. pso

pso Gold Member

Kim Rose is the best for leg problems...I believe he is back at his old surgery in ascot again...or Mike Davies, a bit further up the road...Or Belvoir if you're feeling rich!

14. Royal Amber

Royal Amber Active Member

Murdoch and Lark hill are both really good. The only difference I have found between them seems to be in price only.

15. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Hi Having used both Larkhill and Murdoch extensively i would reccomend either but I usually go to Larkhill for soundness issues as its a speciality of theres and Trevor is wonderful.

16. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I wish someone had told me about Larkhill being great with soundness issues:( Too late now. Mind you, still think Murdoch did all they could

17. Haulix

Haulix Well-known Member

trevor is great! we have the same facilities as murdoch! just thought i would let you all know!!!

18. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

For me it would really depend on were you are..as there are very good Vets North and South of the River.**)

Warrick Vale has a portable x-ray machine, he's in Bullsbrook.{far North }

Mike Davis, Kim Rose and Brian Hillbert are all fantastic they're all in Belmont area.

Larkhill, Baldivis, Murdoch & Micheal Proctor I've heard are very good { South }
    What someone else said..get a Farrier to look first might be the way to go.

Good luck

Cheers
    Lee

19. kt20

kt20 Active Member

What a great set of replies - I posted this this morning and went off and came back and voila, very helpful, thanks.

To answer questions, I have had this horse just over a year now, and didn't have him X-rayed when I bought him (prob. a mistake in hindsight, but first horse, in love with his dapples etc etc). He is barefoot, I trust my trimmer, he does have low heels and yucky flat feet and is half TB. Have seen a difference with boots. I would prefer to persist with barefoot if possible but would swap if it was clear that the horse required it.

His front feet are quite different sizes and he always puts more weight on one while eating.

He moves OK to well most of the time but I have had a niggling worry because sometimes he moves soooo well, but sometimes is just a bit short in front. Then my sister (very horsey) came over from the UK and said what I really knew which is that I am not really pushing him hard in case I see something I don't want to, and I need to at least look at it properly. And she is right.

So, I will get in touch with a couple of vets shortly. Thanks peeps.

20. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Hi again kt20 - my horses are barefoot too. It can take an awful lot of conditioning and time to toughen them up for hard ground. They basically have to grow a new foot! One of mine was never any good on hard (gravelly) surfaces, I just always put boots on him.

I too have a horse with thoroughbred feet I am going barefoot with. She's very young (and constantly injures herself in the paddock, so has long breaks!) and had absolutely horrible feet when I first got her in July. Already i can see an improvement now that she's living constantly on harder ground rather than sand. That said, I still don't expect to be able to ride her out without boots for quite some time.

Is Y your trimmer? If so, I agree, she's pretty good.