horse turning aggresive

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by BundyGal, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BundyGal

BundyGal Active Member

ive had my horse for around 7yrs now and love him to bits. He is 18yr old STB geld, now fully retired..problem is he is turning aggresive towards everyone.

He has never previously shown aggresion towards me until recently (nothing major just biting, threatening and ears pinned back). He HATES men with a passion.

I went away recently and had horsey friends fill my horses waters up etc. He knows these people and they have only ever been nice and friendly to him however everyday the visited he would charge full pelt at them chasing the from the paddock and spinning to kick them. Luckily he didnt manage to get them but im at a loss with his attitude. :( He is very bossy to other horses too.

He was a bucker under saddle and had chiros etc to see him but they said he was fine.

Where to go from here? Sadly the thought of having him PTS has crossed my mind but id like to hear some suggestions that may help first. Rehoming him is out of the question as he will hurt someone.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

A few years ago, I had a standy gelding who went from being totally bombproof, to trying to kill people in a matter of days. He ended up having a brain tumour and I had to have him put down.
    Speak to a vet about it.

3. painter

painter Well-known Member

Definitely get a vet to see him to rule out medical problems.

If there isn't any medical reason for the behaviour, then its a psychological, respect and dominance problem that he has been allowed to develop over the years. Impossible to fix without alot of time and effort (and money if you send him to someone else to fix, but you'd still need to learn how to manage him so that the agression did not return).

You have no choice with behaviour like this - it is way too dangerous and will continue to escalate each time he gets away with it, or as his medical condition deteriorates if that is the cause. It may well be a combination of both, so even if its a medical problem than *can* be fixed, you may still need to deal with the learned agressive behaviours.

4. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

yes this is my thoughts too

Sadly you may have to make that decision, but it would be for the best

Cheers
    Lee

5. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

agreed with everyone to get a vet to check him out and sudden agression can also be pain ie back, joints etc so a vet can give him a check and see whats going on :( fingers crossed its something simple

6. BundyGal

BundyGal Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I really dont think he has anything medically wrong- tumors etc i think its more phsycological? Just my guess as he has been grumpy and mildly aggresive for the entire 7years i have had him, he went from the track to a horse hire place and then to me so hasnt had the most loving of homes until i got him. However if i was to get a vet out to assess him, out of curiosity how do they generally test for brain tumors etc?

7. katelol

katelol Guest

My lovely placid tb had a nasal tumor that totally changed his personality. They found his with a nasal scope. If your horse has always been a grump then hopefully his problem isn't pain related. I had to have poor Grebo put down as there was nothing that could be done for him :(

8. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

If you are sure there is no medicial reason then it is most likely the fact that he sees himself as the alpha who will dictate his 'herd' with an iron will - and to him humans fall under that 'herd' group.

I have a galloway who was fine when I had other horses to keep him in line, however I now only have him and he started to test the boundaries - nothing nasty as he is not so assertive, but just by been pushy and forgetting his manners. He soon got taught that I am the boss and is now once again a nice well behave boy.

Your boy needs to start been disciplined whenever he so much as looks as a human in an agressive way - and I don't mean by beating him up, he needs to be only allowed to come to you when he is nice. If you do not know how then get a good trainer to come out (or take him to one) and work with both of you.

9. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

so you reckon you don't think it's pathological? hmmm, well best you rethink.
    vets are trained for that. most contributors on here are not vets.
    simple.
    detecting brain tumours is a process of rule outs, but holy guacamole, a dangerous horse is a can of PAL ,not matter what the reason.
    b safe.

10. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

It sounds like your horse has had a history of behaviour issues eg. bucking under saddle, aggressive to men (so he has obviously been aggressive previously) etc. Most horse behaviour issues are not pathological, they are training issues so why don't you start here :) If you had noticed a complete change in character such as mylittlepony's horse or other neurological symptoms then maybe you would be unwise to think of a pathological cause straight away.

It is hard to make any judgements on an internet forum without knowing the horse or the handler so I think a sensible first port of call would be a good horse handler/trainer to assess the horse, they may be able to help you put him back in his place or at least advise you on what would be best for your own plus other's safety.

Good luck and I hope all goes safely.

11. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

have you changed feed recently? I only ask as i had a horse that was 'allergic' (i use that term loosely!) to copra! he went from placid and easy going to charging at people that where on the other side of the fence line!. Took him off the copra and within a week he was back to normal. Did a trial and put him back on the copra about 2 weeks later and again he became dangerous! So he never got copra again!