Horse Trainers / Breakers for re-training

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Sublime, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Wobbles

Wobbles Active Member

Put it this way. There are some good trainers and some not so good trainers here in WA.
    Best bet in choosing the right trainer is to go and watch them work, and talk to others that may have used them before and their opinions, you will quickly narrow down the 'true' trainers from the wannabee trainers.
    Like CDA has said earlier in the thread choose your discipline, then choose your trainer.

Never be to quick to choose :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  2. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

No blurring here........you obviously have never worked in a professional Dressage/jumping yard then??........these are the discplines I breed for/break in for/train for and I know how a young horse 'needs' to be taught to achieve this regardless of the level his owner intends to compete him in...the basics are al lthe same for jumping and dressage training......

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

No I havent but wife knows a little about dressage. After numerous state and national titles and being on the 2000 training/development squad for the olympics would think she knows a thing or too :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

PC, I find these comments very misleading to the amateur Owner :( And again, blurring the labels of Breaker and Trainer. One of my favourite Breakers is in South Australia (which is why I didn't mention him earlier). He breaks everything from Shetlands to Clydesdales, from cow horses to Olympic disciplined hopefuls. He is also a Trainer, as his wife. His wife has competed in their State Squad and ridden at Olympic Level on a horse that was being sent to the knackery. She, herself, is trained by Adelinde Cornelissen (Dutch Olympic Team). But he, as their Breaker, starts them all at the Breaking Level :) I'm happy to PM you their website if you wish :D

Also, I know a very good Western Australian Dressage rider who sent a few of her horses to a Western Trainer and got much more lightness out of them :) I'm thinking of doing this with my boy around 7/8 years of age :)

5. luffy

luffy Active Member

I agree wattle, a good breaker does not have to be experienced in the discipline you might want your horse to eventually end up in. A lot of people on here recommend Watkins and I am pretty sure Fred doesn't ride dressage (or jump, at least he is not out competing
    in these disciplines), but he knows how to start a horse so it can walk, trot, canter, leg yield, one rein stop (for emergency), go forward, bush ride, tie up, pick up feet etc... Whereas if you want your horse further educated, e.g. to start flying changes, then you are more likely to send them to someone who 'trains' dressage horses (or maybe as wattle says a Western Trainer).

Wattle do you have a particular Western trainer in mind that you could PM me as I would also be interested in sending my boy to one.

When you are choosing a breaker/trainer then you have to know what it is you want to achieve before you can make an informed decision about who is the right person.

6. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Fred may not be a 'dressage rider', but he can work a young horse more correctly than a lot of 'dressage riders' :)

[​IMG]

My coaches (past and present - two level 3's and a national A level judge) have all recommended that I use a trainer who can train/refresh the basics (go, stop and turning) for starting and bringing back into work and then train myself.

Everybody has different ideas of what is best, but after a professional showjumper/breaker (ES) 'broke' my horse, I would only ever use someone who is capable of dealing with every problem any horse can throw at them. You only get one chance at starting a horse - every experience has to be positive.

7. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I would like to put my thoughts in here....

Regardless of who (unless it is a person only using a halter), I have found in hundreds of horses I have dealt with 'straight from the breaker' all have one issue in common....

They are unwilling to 'take' the bit - as soon as you touch the bit, they want to go behind it.... is this lightness? I dont think so.

I believe that the system of mouthing that most horse breakers use is actually detrimental to the whole concept of lightness, which is a horse willingly seeking the bit with a light and relaxed mouth.

just my thoughts :)

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Good comments CDA :) They had me thinking ;)

IMO that is where there could be miscommunication in expectations??. Straight from the Breaker I wouldn't be asking a horse to "take" the bit, nor to have "lightness" of feel. When I mentioned lightness earlier, I meant in general techniques of breaking. No heavy hands, or heavy restrictive methods. No loud voices or harsh movements. From a Trainer, I'd expect a degree of lightness in a horse's mouth. But then, it would be up to me to maintain and enhance that lightness. I love, personally, to test my horses with how light a touch I need to see which degree of reaction I'm going to get - whether groundwork or undersaddle.

Sorry OP if we're starting to go off topic of who to use lol ;)

9. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

CDA, I think that is a training issue, not a breaking in/starting issue ;) Yes, for dressage you need the horse to take a contact, but that lightness is your emergency brakes in the early days. It allowed me to ride out on the bridle paths and through the bush in confidence. My horse was taught the one rein stop and so that was her safety/comfort zone when she lost confidence (mine too lol). The more confident she got, the more she stretched into the bit.

I certainly don't see a responsive light mouth as being detrimental - quite the opposite. A mouth that is not as responsive could be very dangerous on a green broken horse that doesn't know enough to give the rider a safe ride.

10. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

I should have added that the above photo was taken after approximately 10 short rides in an arena and a few more trail rides. Fred rides with a light contact and the horse is stretching into a contact; certainly not sucking back ;)

11. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

You can see that in his wrists and the gentle position of his fingers :D**) I've never seen him ride - but that's a good photo to show the point!!

12. That's an awefull lot of horses, how old are you CDA?:)))
    Sorry for being completely off topic.:eek:

13. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Im 26 - and teach approx 50 lessons per week, for the last 8 years

14. are you saying you give 7 lessons a day every day?';' Are they all on different horses? How long are you lessons?
    I remember you starting on SY not long ago, may be 2-3 years max (if that):}

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Your post said 'hundreds of horses, straight from the breakers'.

I think maybe a little bit stretched for the truth lol

16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Breakers must be run off their feet :D

17. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Clubignite, I wondered what your intention was by posting another photo. I see you are wanting to advertise your services - I hope you're not trying to discredit the competition?!

The riding position is irrelevant. The rider is not claiming to be anything but a breaker and yet he is able to ride sensitively and lightly. If he so much as banged down in that saddle, that horse would have had him off without hesitation. Same thing if his legs were unstable, too much sudden pressure, the slightest jab in the mouth etc.

I don't care if someone doesn't look pretty in the saddle as long as they are effective.

ETA: I gather you read O'Leary's site as that photo is from there, in which case you would know how much respect O'Leary has for Fred (and would have read O'Leary's comments regarding Fred's ability ;) )

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I was going to say almost exactly the same with regard to Position being irrelevant. He's a Breaker, not hiring out his time as an Instructor in refined riding ';'

19. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Actually, you have things a little wrong.
    I was personally sent that photo. I wasnt trying to discredit anyone. The photo is from the same day, different angle. I am not trying to advertise my services here as in fact I dont have any room!

20. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

If you provide services for horse breaking/training/educating please don't post in this thread if you are not a "paid advertiser". You certainly wouldn't provide your services for free, nor do we!

admin