Horse Trainers / Breakers for re-training

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Sublime, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Sublime

Sublime New Member

Hi All

Can someone please give me some recommendations for horse trainers/breakers?

I want to send my OTTB to learn to tie solid, leg yield and remouthing.

Watkins are all booked up til July! :( If no one measures up to Watkins, i will just have to wait.

Has anyone had any experience with Trevor Jennings for re-habbing the OTTB?

Thanks in advance
    :)

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Have PMd you

3. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Hi there I have spaces next month for training.......please contact me for a chat if you are interested pc_stud@bigpond.com

bye for now

anna:0)

4. primrosecourt

(im not bad either!! LOL);)

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Do you ride them primrose or someone else and you just do the training?

Watkins are great. If you are really keen and keep in contact with them they may slot you in if someone cancels as they did me. I only wanted my mare to be taught to solid tie as I had nowhere safe here at home.

6. primrosecourt

I do everything (hence why I advertise for breaking schooling training etc ;))........you are welcome to have a look at what I do and where Ive done it via my website............its just little ole me on my ownsume but it works well like that and the horses seem happy enough.....
    I may not be one of the big names but I am here!!@)
    I have two in at the moment as I cant take anymore at any one time but I have spaces next month.....

7. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I asked because I had only seen you put up pics of other people riding your horses lol and you didn't ride yours in competition....my misunderstanding sorry! :eek:

Nothing against the smaller trainer, it is after all, word of mouth that sells reputation.

8. primrosecourt

?? not sure what you mean..........I have one photo of my german friend riding a mare over xmas........and I used this photo in the mares sale advert as it was a good photo......Deon Stokes competed Digger for me (eventing)......previous to this I rode him//competed him here for 1.5 yrs before I had my first child....Im not sure who else you have seen riding my horses but there is noone else LOL ( I cant afford to pay anyone else!!)

Nope I havent competed since having my two children 4.5 yrs ago (but I wasnt a where trainers/breakers were required to??......)
    I have had plenty of horses to school and ride at home for various ppl since having them its just timing for me as any working mother will know

Yep you cant beat word of mouth you are correct, but then advertising isnt a bad way of getting business to and the best of us need to advertisee on occasions .I dont expect the person on this post to use me at all but I thought id answer her question re any other trainers to help school her TB and I answered with yes..me!........Watkinare indeed good at what they do but they cant always fit ppl in and there are other ppl who can do a good job aswell........sorry have I upset you somewhere along the line??

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. primrosecourt

yep just like I recommended Adam Sutton when he is in WA as I have had a few of his 'breaker's in for furthering their schooling (read other post on Training!!)....and yes it was me schooling them LOL

10. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I know personally of one TB that Trevor Jennings did. It was bred to race but when sent to the trainers they said he was crazy and dangerous and he came back home and sat in the paddock until he was about 7yo. I taught the horse some ground manners and how to lunge etc just for fun (my horse was just a yearling then so it was something to do), but he was extremely cold-backed and had a hell of a buck on him - I was def not interested in backing that thing! After I moved agistment, his owner left him in the paddock again for over a year, then finally coughed up some money to get Trevor in. He did a nice job on that boy in I think it was a couple of weeks and the owner was finally able to sell him to a lovely young lady who adores him.

Trevor uses the O'Leary mouthing system and leg restraint, and I believe many other of his techniques would be the same as Fred Watkins. He was one of the local trainers featured at the John O'Leary clinic in 2010.

11. primrosecourt

yes I have heard great things about Trevor Jennings aswell.......theres a guy fairly near me in Helena Valley ...........Graham Dick how is also very very good too
    Theres another bloke up here (Morangup) who I used for a very sharp TB mare I had that needed breaking and I had just had my second baby!! (wasnt game enough for that quite then!) .......and I sent her to him and he did a very good job too.........Mirawee will tell you his name as I cant remember

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

13. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I used Clint Spencer at Narbethong to break in both of mine and couldn't be happier. He also did some work with Noddi for me (OTTB) so I can highly recommend him.

I have also heard great things about Trevor Jennings who has helped a friends naughty mare turn the corner and is now going great.

Good luck with whoever you chose!

14. Shenalar

Shenalar Well-known Member

Keith Murray?

15. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Anna (Primrose).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Just remember each trainer will have a bad story or two. Not everyone will be totally 100% happy with the service and things can happen.

You are better off making a list of trainers and going and meeting them in person, watching them work with a horse and talk with them in depth and go with the one you are most comfortable with.

17. beau

beau Well-known Member

Must say cant be happier with my breaker Jayden Lyall, he has done my wb babies plus my racehorse babies. He is also training my racies, and with the wbs I send them off to Dion Stokes for a month to fine tune - could not be happier :) I am lucky that they all live close to me, which is an added bonus I can go and see them whenever I like.

18. NumidianHorse

NumidianHorse Active Member

Agree with Arnie's comment about collating your info and then making your own decision (personal rapport with a person and your horse is important).

Personally, I'd wait for Watkins - always.

... Just proved it again last night when Princess Star Sticky Beak got her leg (up to shoulder) stuck in a hay net :rolleyes: The leg restraint training that Fred Watkins did (and I saw it from day 1) simply worked! ... (and no-one died ;) )

You're doing a great thing by asking questions and taking time to gather info - I'm sure you'll be happy with whoever you go to - best of luck :))

19. sil

sil Gold Member

Anna (Primrose) is competent and dressage oriented.

I've had great results from Watkins, he has broken in one of ours and we've sent others for training as well.

20. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I think I just worded my post akwardly and you have misunderstood what I was trying to say.

You are quite correct, trainers dont need to compete on thier horses of course. I think I was confusing myself. lol