Horse terrified of Pony

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Yarraman, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

A new pony has arrived at our agistment and for some reason our 16.2 TB is terrified of him. He has seen other ponies before at PC rally and not had a problem.

It is hard to ask him what the problem is ;) However what can I do in terms of introduction without him cleaning me out. He nearly dumped the farrier tonight when the aforesaid pony was lead out of his paddock. Hid behind his owner and would only come out when the pony was removed.';'

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Flood him with exposure.

3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Should not have removed pony until big horse settled down. Now he will keep being a tizzy twit until pony is taken away.

Make him man up.:))

4. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Shame that in so many agistments, individual paddocking is the thing. If he was put in a big paddock with his mates and pony, wouldn't be a problem.

Could you and pony owner and others go do some groundwork all together in an arena, or hang out having a cuppa with pony owner while brushing your horses? Hard to know without knowing your agistment situation or training philososophy. It could be a great opportunity for you both, learning how to focus despite distraction. There will always be smaller ponies, blue-er platic bags, scarier alpacas, rustly-er bunting - it's how you reassure or refocus your horse that counts.

5. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

My big grey TB used to tremble with fear when he saw my daughters mini pony. We've had the mini for a year now but she is paddock down the back of the property so my boy only sees her if my daughter is riding her in the arena or we go up the driveway. He is slowly getting better. My other 2 that I've owned for many years don't bat an eyelid at her ;cos when we were on our own place I had (over time) a shetland pony and 2 minis and they were all paddocked together. I think you would be best (if poss) to yard or paddock your horse next to the pony for afew days to make him realise its not such a scary thing.

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

What happened with removing the pony to get him to settle wasn't that 'wrong'.....I would have done that myself if I had a farrier waiting to do his feet too.....

Slow gentle patient exposure is the way to go using approach and retreat. Black Bats ideas are great (as always). Do some fun stuff with them in proximity. The biggest thing is don't make it a power struggle or an issue. Just gently let it all happen....you may find they become best mates in the end and then you will have the opposite problem:D

7. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Will try putting him in the paddock next to the "terror pony" :rolleyes:for small amounts of time and see if this helps.

Just hope that he doesn't go through a fence to escape from him as I had heard of this happening to someone before.

Updates later.

8. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Good luck Yarraman. Reminds me of the day we shared our club grounds with a minis show. Big horses exploding all over!

The greatest freakout was seeing a couple of minis stepout from inside a car. :D

9. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Ha you should try being at the Quindanning picnic races the year they decided to have a Donkey Derby and one of them started braying just as all the OTTBs were going down to the track for the Quindanning Cup...*#)

10. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

My fella has seen mini's before......but for some reason - the day he saw tjem on his way out of the ring at Narrogin Ag show was not the day for him.

The funniest thing I ever saw......He did the whole 'shock horror' spread leg shake and bounce on the spot thingo......lol :p poor fella....

then spend the day looking over his shoulder for them ! :eek:

I think someone had told him about the mini mafia......

11. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I don't blame him NLEC....some mini's I have met are frightful little buggers...far more dangerous than a big horse!

12. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

The scariest thing Darcy has ever seen was a tiny yellow pony.
    Now he gets all gooey over all the other ponies at the agistment - but still eyes the yellow one with distrust. My OH's theory is that Darcy thinks the size might be contagious.
    My Welsh pony was always scared of ponies smaller than him - I think it was a low self esteem thing - he thought he was the smallest pony ever.

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Yep, i would move said scarey pony in next door:) Sheldon has a tiny wee friend were he lives and now he thinks they are his besties. We did have one pony on the property that came down to meet Sheldons wee neighbour and she just freaked...funny thing is she is about 10hh herself...lol.

and just cos I can:)*
    [​IMG]
    photo by wattle :)

14. norwest star

norwest star New Member

someone i knew had a thoroughbred once then they bought a pony. the horse was that terrified of it he went over a fence and killed himself

15. painter

painter Well-known Member

Yes thats why it pays to desensitise them in a controlled environment. A 16h TB that I had was initially terrified of a 9h shetland mare (with good reason I might add). Once he got over his fear of her by being paddocked next to each other, the first and only time they were put together he actually attacked her with clear intent to do some serious damage...lucky for her she was faster than he was.