Horse shot! 9WIN late news NOW!

Discussion in 'News Items' started by Tinkerbell Rose, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Tinkerbell Rose

Tinkerbell Rose Active Member

Head lines- horse shot for wandering off owners property...story hasn't been on yet! tune in and watch

2. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Are you SERIOUS!!!! *#)*#)
    What the hell is the world coming to:mad::mad:

3. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Yes...I believe that story is of my deaf friend's sister who owns the stallion, unfortunately he wandered off and got into a policeman's property! I just the hell don't know why he shot the stallion, for what reason.

I honestly thought that police officers don't own the gun on the property but at work?!!!

The owner of the stallion is very, very upset about it and is seeking the lawyer about it. The council has come and taken the body away, unfortunately for the owner not being able to see her stallion to see why he shot without any evidence I believe #(

It only happened just few days ago, not far from where I live, approx 30 mins away.

4. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

holy hell.... that so called "police officer" should be shot for his actions towards a poor horse.

5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

you know there are always 2 sides to every story.

What if you walked out of your house to find a stallion in your yard threatening your child, animals ????

I could understand someone shooting such a stallion.

Not enough is posted on this thread to know if the policeman had a fair reason or not.

I know there have been stallions I have met that would terrify me.

And stallions who might be gorgeous for their owners but terrifying to strangers.

Comes down to the horse should never have been off his property.

Heart breaking for his owner whatever the reason.

6. Tinkerbell Rose

I'm not sure this is the same horse. The horse that was on the news was stated as being located on the 'Mid West'. It was a 15yo QH that had wandered onto the neighbours property with another horses. The neighbour discharged a shot gun (not many police are issued these- but a land owner can certainly get a licence for one) at the horses to scare them away but hit one of the horses. Its didn't die straight away (shot guns have tiny pellets rather then a large bullet) the owner was called and had to get a vet out to PTS the horse. There was photos/footage of the owner with the horse when it was being tended to by the vet....Ladies name was Wendy something...I'm trying to find a link on the news website for it.

Um also I'm not sure that if the neighbor was a 'policeman' that it makes any difference

7. capnjack

capnjack Well-known Member

Nearly anyone can get a gun lisence - I have one, and I live in the city, not just landowners. although, I will admit, sure makes it easier to!

8. croft

croft Well-known Member

That was in America
    PDA
    View Full Version : Cop shoots horse on his land

Question
    11-20-06, 04:10 PM

Brazos County sheriff's investigators are expected to meet with prosecutors Monday to decide if the fatal shooting of a miniature horse over the weekend by an off-duty policeman constitutes cruelty to animals.

The stallion, which stood 30 1/2 inches tall, was shot once Friday evening by College Station Police Officer Damian Anderson, according to Sheriff's Office reports.
    Enlarge photo
    Special to The Eagle
    Santi, a miniature horse, was shot and killed Friday evening.

The horse had gotten loose from a residence down the road from the officer's Rosier Road property, Anderson is reported to have told the agency.

"Apparently, it injured some of his other [full-sized] horses," Sheriff Chris Kirk said Sunday of the officer's reasoning for the shooting. "He says that he was protecting his livestock."

Investigators with the Sheriff's Office have compiled statements and taken photographs of the incident, Kirk said, noting that it is now a matter of figuring out whether a crime was committed.

"The law does provide for you to protect your livestock," he said, explaining that he will leave it to the district attorney's office to decide whether the incident amounted to protection of property or cruelty to animals. "We'll just present it all to them Monday."

Cruelty to animals is a state jail felony punishable by up to two years incarceration.

Anderson, who has been with the College Station Police Department for eight years, could not be reached for comment Sunday.

The horse - named Santi - had wandered onto Anderson's property twice before in the past 4 1/2 years, but loose animals are not unusual for the rural north Brazos County neighborhood, Santi's owner, Brandi Hamlin, said Sunday.

On previous occasions, she said, the officer had penned the animal and notified her that it was loose.

But this time, she said, she didn't find out anything was wrong until Saturday morning - when a sheriff's deputy knocked on her door to tell her that her pet was dead.

"It was quite possibly one of the most gruesome sights I had ever seen," Hamlin said of retrieving her pet Saturday. "I just don't understand why somebody else would do this - especially somebody who has animals."

She described the shooting as "shocking."

"He was a pet," she said, noting that the horse never attempted "so much as a nip" while in her presence. "We fed him carrots and grain out of our hands and he would follow us around the pasture. He was like a big dog. He could have been easily subdued."

Hamlin said the miniature horse had last escaped about eight months ago, leading Anderson to complain his animals had been injured then. Hamlin said she offered to pay any necessary vet bills, but never heard back from the neighbor.

This time, he took matters into his own hands, she said.

"I find this to be very disturbing and disheartening," Hamlin said. "I just can't understand why it had to come to that."

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

well from what I read in the link I think the police officer had every reason to shoot the darn thing. It had escaped multiple times, it had previously injured his animals in the past and he had tried to sort the issue.

I think the owner is at fault here. Not the poor cop.

10. croft

croft Well-known Member

I agree with you Sugar'sMum

11. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

As the lady of the horse said she's never had problems with the neighbour before this and she wanted to know how come the neighbour can make a call at 2am to advise the horse had been shot but couldn't make the call earlier so she could go and fetch them back??

I'd like to know how come the horse had to wait for a vet to put it to sleep, when the shooter could of atleast done this? Shot and mamed the poor thing once but couldn't put it out of it's misery ????? very strange

although could be the horse owner didn't want the neighbour any where near the horse after what had happened.... who knows, poor lady and horse anyway

12. Jordy D

Jordy D Active Member

It was a Greenough horse, our vet came out today and had treated that horse. Didnt know that had happened untill we were told today. Has it been in the paper TR?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  13. WildandFree

WildandFree Well-known Member

well i just was browsing and found this from her

all i can do i shake me head in horror n send her hugs

14. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

The neighbours not a very good shot because it said on GWN that he was just trying to scare the horses off.

Firearms and fools don't mix
    I feel for this poor woman.

15. Tinkerbell Rose

I haven't looked. Will get a copy of todays paper.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  16. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Well thats not exactly fair. There's no hard evidence that the mini horse actually caused any injury. The owner of the mini offered to pay any expenses and he didn't bring her any. All hearsay really. AND the escapes were 8 months apart. I'm sorry BUT to me that DOES NOT constitute shooting and killing it. It's a god damn mini horse for christs sake. It's not like it was an 18hh ferocious stallion?!

IN REPLY TO SUGAR'S MUM'S COMMENT ABOUT MINI HORSE

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  17. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

agree with you sheriden sugers mum i think you are a bit harsh nothings ever black or white i just hope you dont live near me in case any of mine ever get out becouse accidents can and do happen

18. rg_angel

rg_angel New Member

Not exactly sure what the law, but shouldn't he at least have his gun license suspended or cancelled as a result of irresponsible use? It's pretty obvious he meant to hit the horses anyway, as he would have HAD to have been aiming at them. There are plenty of other places to aim. If he'd wanted to just scare them (which could've driven them into a fence and resulted in fatal injury anyway), wouldn't he have fired at the ground or even into the air?

*In relation to thread topic*

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  19. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Perhaps he did fire into the air? Still could have got the horse.

Carol I think that's unfair - SM would just phone you, and look after your horses in the mean time. NO ONE knows the full story - so let's not make judgements on it.

Terribly sad, shouldn't have happened, I feel for the owner.

20. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

How is it irresponsible though? He shot an animal that he believed to be a danger to his stock. It is also unfair to judge him, the full truthful story is not there.

The stallion shouldn't have been able to bust into the neighbours property considering what measures are suppose to be in place to keep a stallion locked up.