Horse Riding Safety - Hi Vis Vests

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by wattle6180, May 23, 2012.

1. Celestial Park

Celestial Park Active Member

My heart goes out to you Wendy and the riders and I wish for a full and speedy recovery for you all. This is a tragedy that maybe could have been avoided by common sense!!!
    NO amount of reflective vests will acount for the stupidity of people driving and not giving a S##T about horses and rider safety!
    It will help people see the horse and rider but wont make them slow down! People seem to think it's fun to see the horse play up or just dont care! Can't recall the amount of times PEOPLE WITH HORSE FLOATS go almost up our horses backsides and do not slow down at all!!! These people are horse people...do they not care????????????
    We ride inthe Swan Valley and take our lives in our own hands....only last weekend we got screamed at by a bunch of youths in a BMW 4x4 hanging out the car windows "to put our horses on a lead" when one shyed at a bird and they swearved into us as all this was happening and almost was very nasty accident!
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO SLOW DOWN AND GIVE HORSES A WIDE BIRTH!!!! We all know accidents can happen, these are flight animals and horse people especially need to remember to treat others like they would like to be treated themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RIP horses and again condolences to you Wendy xox

2. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Not all but a lot of truck drivers do think they own the road.. The drivers with that attitude are the ones that cause the problems. That driver made a choice whether to drive at a sensible speed or not, anything could run out of a propety it's a rural area..let alone people riding their horses. Geez it could have been a mum walking a child in a pram would he have slowed down then?! and if he is a local he should know that, so disappointing beyond belief..:mad: But I suppose driving a truck they think well they won't be the ones that get hurt anyway. :( so sorry to hear this happened Wendy, condolences to you on the loss of your horses and the stress of the whole situation, really hope the ladies injured are going to make a full recovery.

I live on Mundijong Rd and would never and never have ridden a horse out of my property as the road is just too dangerous, we campaigned for years to have the limit reduced but of course they only dropped it 10klms/hr which no one adheres to anyway... but if I lived on another other Baldivis road I probably would. This area has huge road and traffic issues and hazards that main roads and the council do nothing about, don't get me started...

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I am so sorry Wendy, and please send my thoughts to the injured riders.

Such a sad situation.

4. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

And the roads around there are only going to get busier once the extention road is put through that will join up with Dixon rd. :(
    Up until 9 years ago I used to agist near the area and we would all ride out around Mundijong rd, telephone lane, millar rd and St Albans and it was realitively quiet apart from the sheep trucks from the depo down there. Now a days I hate even just driving around there, there is NO WAY I would ride a horse along any of those roads now.
    So sorry for your loss Wendy and I wish the riders involved a speedy recovery.

5. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Wattle, I found a hi-vis vest in the shed, so about to wash it and will wear it on the road from now on!**)

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

This is a terrible situation and I do hope that horse people realise that while they may have rights to the road they also have responsibilities.

Wendy, you have acknowledged that the road is dangerous. Too narrow and frequented by disrespectful drivers.

And these riders, by going on this road at this time of evening with insufficient visibility, knowing the local situation being highly undesirable for safety, have not taken sufficient care.

I was out last night at 5.45pm on a country road with no lighting. I can tell you, I could not make out anything on the side of the road.

7. Macchiato

Macchiato Well-known Member

Well then common sense would tell you that if you are driving with limited visibility then you should slow down and drive with extreme caution. Sorry but people need to be responsible when they get behind the wheel of a car. I was picking my daughter up from work at 6.30 yesterday and passed a cyclist with no lights etc. I did not hit him as I was paying careful attention to the road and driving with due care and attention to the road.

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I agree totally. On both parties. But as riders of horses and cyclists are the more vunerable ones, I cannot reason why they would not take even MORE personal care.

No help pointing the finger when you are squashed no matter how in the right you are?

9. Macchiato

Macchiato Well-known Member

The roads around Baldivis are littered with the graves of innocent people victims of idiotic drivers. The corner of my street has the cross of a motorcyclist who lost his life at 3 in the afternoon, someone was in a hurry to get home, so they took a short cut. St Albans Rd by the water ski park saw the tragic death of two young boys with their whole life ahead of them. I think this is a terrible case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I feel so bad for the horses, the ladies involved and Wendy, but the same thing could have happened in broad daylight. If drivers don't pay attention then hanging a neon sign around your neck won't make a difference. Perhaps now that there has been multiple tragedies on this road the residents would have a good case to go to the council and get some traffic calming measures put in place. At least this way these poor horses have not died for nothing.

10. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

we rode out yesty eve, decked out in out reflective wear... several cars actually swerved over to our side of the road at us! couldnt beleive it!

11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

How much are the leg band thingo's...a set of four. I think they are a good idea. I have a hi-vis vest. I wonder if I should perhaps get a band to go around my helmet too?

12. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

My daughter who is a P plater and also grown up with horses and is very respectful when passing them on the road was one day abused by a lady on a horse for not going slow enough she was going very slow but the ladies horse was playing up. I know for a fact what speed she was doing because I was following her home in my car and it is a shame because she was upset that she was doing the right thing and still got told off. Its a shame. We all need to take responsibility riders drivers everyone.

13. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

This is what I had Bo in this afternoon for our ride. We only ride up a road for a short distance, but the difference it hi vis made was amazing. All but 1 driver slowed down to go past us... Oh and I was also wearing a matching vest...

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Looks good, I think some people would slow down too to admire your horse :) I have a hi viz vest, horse leg wraps and also the reflective breast plate and reflective strips that I can put on the cheek pieces or noseband or reins on my bridle.

15. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Hmmmm, I put a post straight after Naenae's commenting on her flash pink look....I wonder where it went?

Love the pink Naenae.**)

16. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

niceee! is that excercise blanket waterproof?

17. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Yes it is abb77. It is slightly lighter then the blue weatherbeeta one that you can buy from horse shops too, so I don't mind schooling in it either as neither Bo nor GK seem to sweat excessively under it :)

18. Exposure02

Exposure02 New Member

Oooh love your pink Naenae! The sheet is next on my list and I have a flashing head band and chest plate on the way!

This is us on Saturday going for a stroll! Still wore all our gear we have so far.

(My poor Johnno wearing the pink haha tooooooo bad my boy)
    [​IMG]

19. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Love the look Exposure....Horse looks impressed too.