Horse loves/hates jumping?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by suga1624, Jan 11, 2012.

1. suga1624

suga1624 Well-known Member

Hey guys just though I would ask on here, for a friend.
    She has a 9 year old gelding, he was gelded at 6 years old. He is a purebred arab.
    He was very green, fat and a bit unhealthy when she purchased him about a month or so ago. She has had him drenched, wormed, teech done, back done, and all health checked and everything. Saddle fitted, bridle/bit fit. All is perfect to go.. She has been riding him almost everyday in the arena, out on the trails, at the beach, etc. We set up some cavallettis recently and hes not a huge fan. He will jump once, and then never again. And now were noticing it everywhere (out on Xcountry course, on the trails, at home, etc) He is happy to jump the log once, but if she tries it again he will stop as soon as he faces it.. he can be 5 meters away and he refuses to do it, or go near it again.. Even a pole he had to step over to get into the property.. he did it happily once, and wont do it again (even days after). She is a confident, experienced rider.. She has tried gently, and also tried strongly with whip etc.. In the end she has been walking him over (IF he will) if not, she physically puts his foot over herself. Any ideas would be appreciated as she is getting very frustrated with him. I know not all horses are made to jump, but he jumps beautifully when he does!! Runs towards it, ears pricked, excited etc.. once hes over it you can aim him at another and he will jump and another and hes will jump, but try and go back to ones you have already done and hes so naughty!!
    Thanks in advance!!

2. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Could be unsure or bored.

Depends on his jumping history has he done much at all? If not she will need to work getting him used to the different types of jumps at a low level first and he could refuse from doing it once and feeling uncomfortable cos he is not feeling confident.

If he does have jumping history he could one that gets bored easily and question why he has to do the same jumps in the same areas (arena/trail) everytime you ride/go out etc. Mix it up a bit, different types and even turn it into an excercise rather than jumps eg set up a grid or cavallettis on a circle and canter on the circle over them.

Unfortunately I had one of these easily bored ones and to be able to compete her successfully, at home I would do 5 days a week of flatwork and bush riding and only jump when we were out and she would fly... as soon as Id io any jumping at home the issues would re-surface and more so at shows as in her brain it wasnt exciting at shows anymore cos we did it at home (purebred arab mare lol).

3. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

You don't mention feet ?? Horses with sore feet can do this. If the horse was very fat then there could be big problems with feet/legs.
    The behaviour you describe is odd but Arabs in general are often odd and quirky to teach to jump although they often come out good. Rider error can cause issues EG If the rider moves around a lot during the jump this can upset the horse. Arabs are sensetive little darlings and need greater care than most other breeds. They are often more fun too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Sounds like a character :) Hope you manage to sort it out!

I have nothing useful to add :eek:

5. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

Lol Leanne, sounds like fun.
    My best advice: Get Deon on him haha ;p He'll sort the problem out. I don't care what anyone else thinks - that man is a genius!

In all seriousness - it tends to more often than not be a rider problem, even if you don't realise it. Take Naarah for instance. She started out her jumping and she went over everything, then one day she just starting refusing everything. But the problem was me, not her. You need a certain seat, you need your hands and your everything to stay still, and you need your legs on. It's always hard to say when you haven't seen them in action, but rather than face the problem at home, take the horse to a trainer that focuses on jumping. Like Deon, Sue Poole, Les Bunnings, etc. They'll fix the problem quick smart, I'm sure. Once you know what the problem is, it will be much easier to deal with. Saves the fuss.

6. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-known Member

If he does the jump once, but doesn't want to do it again, that suggests that there was something about the first time he didn't much like!

Could be sore somewhere (feet/back), rider accidentally catching him in the mouth or back over the jump etc. A good instructor can rule out the second option, and if that's all good, a vet can rule out the first option :)

Also, you say that he "Runs towards it, ears pricked, excited". That doesn't mean he likes jumping. Increasing speed towards the jump, tensing up etc usually means they're unsure, and just want to get it over with. A horse who likes jumping, and is happy to jump, will come into the jump calmly, waiting for direction from his rider.

Good luck!

7. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

Whilst true in some cases, it isn't always. My girl will speed up coming into the jump if I don't control the pace. And she loves it, no ifs or buts about it. I certainly wouldn't say she would approach the jump "calmly, waiting for direction". She's more like 'yeehaa! Let's go!!'

They are all different. Better off to get instructors/trainers to sort it out, as many of them have 'seen it all'.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. smash

smash Well-known Member

Sorry, horses rushing at a jump does not mean they like jumping, just the opposite.

9. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

There is a differnce between "rushing" & being "excited" to jump...smaller horses jumping bigger jumps will need the momentum of their pace to get themself over the jump too...

Going to a trainer that can help you would be your best bet, once you learn the difference between rushing & excitment jumping can be great fun!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Come on guys - how many jumps do you see in the desert???? Really!';'

Seriously, I'd be putting poles around his dinner to start with, and just watching how long he takes out to work out that he actually has to step over these foreign objects to get his dinner. If he walks over them without any fuss then I'd be setting up a couple of scenarios where he walks, trots and canters over obstacles without a rider, then with a rider and see if there is a difference.

That will tell you whether he is sore, scared, or just being a smart a**e arabian...why go over when you can go around!;)

11. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Right. I'm putting poles/jumps around where Dave gets to his feed. *#) It's ridiculous - he doesn't even like branches on the ground in the paddock - he'll do a huge leap over them ';'

12. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

I'm with brew, this sort of behaviour is very typical of soreness. As said feet would be the first thing to look at due to previous weight issues but stifle and hock problems often cause pain jumping. Get a vet or someone to give the horse a proper lameness assessment before trying these training suggestions.

13. DNDKatherine

DNDKatherine New Member

Did I say 'rush'? I believe I said 'speeds up'. Not the same. She picks up the pace in an excited manner. I know the difference between a horse that rushes a jump because they're anxious and a horse that speeds up when jumps are involved because they're having fun.
    Plus I have jumping lessons on her and never has my instructor even implied that she is a nervous jumper. Let me assure you, she isn't!
    I can appreciate that you probably have had certain experiences to lead you to think that in this case you know better, But I would like to RE-state that my girl likes jumping, no ifs or buts about it. I am sorry if I seem blunt, but I don't appreciate somebody implying that I don't know my horse.

Let us know the outcome, Leanne!

14. suga1624

Thanks for the ideas and advice. He has had his feet done and I think he had vet check on his legs, but that will be something I'll tell her. He does have obsticles in his every day life, and he's lunged plenty over trot poles and small jumps etc. I think it will be a confidence issue, the owner is a great rider and owner, but has had some bad experiences and has given a scare, so I think he will get more confidence as she does :) thanks again for the ideas! Appreciate it :)

15. suga1624

i knew i forgot something, feet! lol yes hes had his feet done regularly. I love my arabs, and they are awesome jumpers, but I agree.. training them to jump can be interesting :) thanks for comments :)

16. suga1624

Thanks for the advice :)

When i said runs toward etc, I have lots of experience jumping and i can tell hes really happy to do it the first time. He doesnt increase speed so much, more just looks happy going towards it.. hard to explain.. but you know what i mean, looks happy to be jumping. lol

Thanks again :)

17. suga1624

thanks ag, yeah we know all that lol. been jumping since i could walk, but i think its mainly a confidence issue now. thanks though.

18. Midas

Midas Well-known Member

Defiantly see an instructor then! some arabs are more sensitive than others! it's taken months for Midas to really enjoy it! Now he hunts the fences! I couldn't of got him to where he is without help from people who have a great tool box of exercises & techniques :) Hope he comes good & your friend is jumping again soon!

19. suga1624

awww go midas :) love the fb photos..

thanks heaps :) PS go to naval base beach sunday morning? lol

20. Brew

Brew Well-known Member