Horse is Gluten intolerant?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Beetle, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Beetle

Beetle New Member

Hi, I have a pony that seems to be gluten intolerant. I have only had him for 6 months and in that time I noticed that his droppings were never well formed, being a little softer and falling apart easily. However when I fed him a tri-mix of lucerne, oaten, wheaten chaff, his droppings became loose and unformed, with a small liquid portion that would run down and stain his back legs The droppings look more like a cow pat. I thought it may have been the green flush of grass and snail medic in the paddock after some rain but through a series of dietary exclusions found that it was the wheaten chaff that seemed to be the main culprit. Everything was going well until recently when he has started producing these runny unformed droppings again. He only gets let out in the paddock at night and the rest of the time he gets a small scoop of lucerne chaff in the mornings and grass hay through the day and I have avoided feeding him anything that contains gluten. So now I am at a loss as to what could be causing this problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

2. PlumpRump

PlumpRump New Member

I hope your pony has improved. I havent personally heard of a horse with celiac before but I guess anything is possible! Does he hold weight? Have you ruled out illness not related to food (worming, stress etc). How does he go on different hay? Has your supply changed? Goodluck, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

3. Beetle

Beetle New Member

Hi PlumpRump, I think that he has a hind gut problem. He is fine weight wise, not under weight or over weight. He just gets the scourers if he eats anything with wheat in it. He also seems to be slightly reactive to oaten hay as well and any new green flush of grass seems to set him off. However he does well on dry feed such as grass hay and is good in the paddock so long as the grass has hayed off. I am putting him through a worming program in case he has a heavy parasite load. Then if that doesn't improve things I will look at giving him psyllium husks in case he has sand in his hind gut. I will just keep looking and ruling things out.