Horse Is Dropping Alot of Feed

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Jessica0368, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Jessica0368

Jessica0368 Well-known Member

I got Taz's teeth done about a month ago, as he was dropping quite a bit of his feed. Within a week he wasn't dropping much if any at all. I rode him today and gave him a feed and i noticed that he was dropping alot of feed again. I will feed him again tomorrow and see weather he still is dropping that much. Should i get his teeth checked again? and also should i use a different person or the same one?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I would have his teeth checked again by a different person. :)
    After only one month he should not have this problem. I always have a feel myself, before and after the teeth have been done. :)

3. Jessica0368

That's what im going to do, he might have one thats sharp in there or something.

4. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Yep get them looked at again, bummer hey!

5. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

yeah i agree guys,
    deffinately get them checked out again. they might not of been done to the extent that makes him comfortable.

good luck

6. PPH

PPH Guest

Could also be that he stuffs to much in at once. I have a mare and she drops food everwhere (quidding it's called). When I first got her I had a 3 sperate equine dentist come out to see her over a 7 month period to no avale, she still dropped food everwhere. It seems that whoever owned her prior to me fed her in with other horses and she learnt to shovel as much as she can into her mouth before she got chased off by the other horses higher on the pecking order. So I now put a brick or several LARGE stones in her feed bin so that she has to work around them and can't take those massive big gobfuls that waste the feed.
    I also bought her a feed bin with a large rubber mat underneath so that any feed that she does drop, she can pick back up off a dirt free surface, further reducing feed losses.

Just something to think about if the teeth aren't the issue.
    Cheers
    Bucking Mad

7. rmwgirl4eva

rmwgirl4eva Well-known Member

I would certainly get his teeth checked again. :)* :)* :)*

I have had similar in the past. And it came down to a sharp tooth. The dentist had only been there about 2 months before. rrrgggghhh:mad: :mad:

8. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I would get his teeth checked again, only because Im speaking (due to being his previous owner! LOL). He only ever shared a paddock (for the last 6 years) with another mare and he was the boss. He wasnt ever a real food shoveller! Although is he sharing a paddock now Jess??:)*

9. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

I agree with Bucking Mad my boy did this as well...........I still find little balls of grass and he is such a guts he ends up dropping alot of feed had his teeth checked over and over with nothing there.

10. Jessica0368

ha we have a few at work that sound like this! You put it in their bins and just about half of it goes in one mouthful! I have thought of this he does shove a bit in but after a couple of mouthfuls he slows down.

11. Jessica0368

Yes he is in a paddock with 3 other big horses and 1 shetland (his girlfriend). He's not the boss but isn't down the bottom either. He just walks away from them when they put their ears back its quite funny to watch!

12. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Get Rachel Stone out, she is also a vet and will be able to tell you exactly whats going on in his mouth.

Maybe the last dentist rasped a bit much off last time, that's just as painful apparently as not taking enough off. Maybe he cut his gum and he now has an infection in his gum, that's very easy to do with hand tools. OR if the dentist used power tools did he/she give the horse a break between rasps and squirt water in their mouths to cool them down? If not could be a dead/cooked tooth. Could be a missed sharp edge.

What is he like when he has the bit in his mouth? Watch his behaviour closely, is he opening his mouth, throwing his head up or leaning on the bit pushing his head right down. What's he like when you take up contact etc?

Good luck....

13. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

When I had him, Rachel Stone is who did his teeth.:)*

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007