Horse Insurance (and what does it cover)

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Cheeki, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

G'day,

I'm looking to insure Hon .. but I dunno who to go with. Petplan looks FAB (got a great quote too!). Who are you all with?

Also .. what does the insurance do? I dont get it :p LoL. Never used it before on an animal, only on my car. When I had to pay for it, I had to pay upto a certin price BEFORE they paid the rest. Is this the same for horses?

Also what does it cover when it says "death"? Does it pay for everything (should one need to be PTS)? Does it cover cost for the horse to be cremated (Sp?) (I doubt it .. but worth asking)? Burried (or what ever).

Should I claim on a vet bill, does the insurance monthly price go up (same as it would if you crashed your car)? And what can you claim? (I am not a claimcrazy person .. just wondering)

Sorry for all the q's :)

2. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I am with Pet Plan, i got cover for $10,000 worth vet bills per year with a $200 excess, and i insured Winnie for loss of use, death, straying etc. It costs $105 a month and it just saved me on a big vet bill...wouldn't be with out it.:))

3. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Thanks M for that :) sounds like the way to go!

4. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Your premium doesn't go up if you claim, i have a set amount covered for dealing with the after death part. I get paid out his value if i can never use him again etc etc.
    He had to have a vet check that is set out by pet plan and it lasts the life of the policy or horse. It cost $165 for the vet check. He passed with flying colours :D thank god.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Oh wow .. What do they check with the vet check ..

Honey has WLD .. eek would that alter it?

she'd also go under the 'seniors' part .. as she is classed as an older lady haha .. poor bub

6. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

They check all the obvious things, eyes, teeth, heart etc, they check to see if the horse is prone to founder/laminitis. They trot them out and check for soundness and a few other things too...

7. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

What is WLD? :confused: Maybe i'm having a blonde moment! hahahah

I'm with Petplan too, I only have the death, theft and straying. I pay $14 a month.

8. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

white line disease = WLD :D

9. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I just found out today that all the laser therapies i have had on Winnie are covered too as it was recommended by my vet. So on top of my vet bill being covered $550, i also am covered for treatments of nearly $400...not bad that makes me happy:D

10. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I've got my pali insured with Petplan and have found their rates to be very good. As with any insurance 'aways read the small print'. There are different levels of insurance ie; basic, covering death, theft etc, right up to loss of use which would cover if your horse could never be ridden again but doesn't have to be put to sleep.

11. pso

pso Gold Member

I have just been looking through some of the sites...
    (due to this years vet bills....)
    Petplan certainly looks good!:)*
    How hard is it to claim? Do you need to pay the bill, and then they reimburse you? Or just wait for the bill? And if so, how does this work with dogs/cats, where they expect you to pay on the day??

Is anybody insured with anyone else??:))

12. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Afew years ago I had two of mine insured with AIS in Melbourne, they are really good too. Not quite as competitive with pricing as what PetPlan are. Luckily I've never had to have an equine insurance claim so can't really say what either are like for paying out on claims.

13. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I kniow this is old but I am looking into insurance so who uses what and what do you get for your money.