Horse float what types are best?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Horseagilitywa, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Well, my other half has demanded I get rid of my poxy old float and not fix it up.
    He wants me to get a new or near new float, as neither of us are handy and have to pay someone to fix things.

My horse prefers an open sided with no frills lol, lots of head room.

What do people recommend?

I keep looking at all the sites. I have a FG 1 tonner, so a Millsy and explorers sound too heavy for my ute.

Umm... any ideas?

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I have an olympic royal. I had it custom made and got them to do the open sides, no barn doors etc.

Mine is still VERY open plan at the moment, as I had a horse go through the front window about two years ago, and I still have not replaced the perspecs. I just put a flyveil on Shilo, incase a bug blows in the front window, to save her eyes...she seems fine in there and comes out with a new 'blow wave' after each trip.:D

3. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I have a Lockyer. Very open on the sides and it has canvas/vinyl curtains which you can put on if you like.

My big girl loves it (now *#) ). It was built in the late 80s, we bought it in 1998 and it's still going strong. With a new paint job it looked like new!!

[​IMG]

4. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have to agree with Cadabby.
    For a no frills, open sided but sturdy, durable and go to tow float, go for an Edward float. (Formerly Lockyer) **)
    If you google them it'll come up with a link to the forbidden site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  5. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

Yep we had a Lockyer for 16 years we paid 3000 to build it and sold it 16 years later after a paint job and tune up for 8000 Hell of a good investment if you ask me. They are the best no frills float and awsome for towing. IMHO. Kinda of regret selling it but we had a 4 horse gooseneck so use that instead otherwise that just sits in the shed.

6. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Thanks everyone :))

I got hold of Allen. Answered straight away. And will do the modifications I want. What a star!

Other companies have replied or not in some cases, but obviously aren't engineers as you can only have it how it comes. Never mind, I will get the float I want. Cadabby, that's excactly what i want, but with windows and the sides and a couple of other things.

Now I have to be patient lol.

7. realalvin

realalvin New Member

so cool!