Horse Conformation

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by JAFEICA, Jan 12, 2014.

1. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

Could you please critique my horses conformation. I would like to know your opinions on both his good and bad qualities please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post some more photos of him tomorrow from front on and behind.

TIA :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

Please keep in mind he is in paddock condition and hasn't been in work for 2 years.

3. kp

kp Well-known Member

Looks a nice type. Why hasn't he been in work for two years?

4. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

I bought him off a friend and two weeks later broke my ankle, got off crutches and fell pregnant and now I have a 3 1/2 month old baby. He was also on spell when I bought him.

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

He is quiet compact, but without seeing him move, there is a lot more to like about him than not. Get him in work! Lol:)

6. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please I would really like some opinions as this is not my strong point, I want to know the good and bad about him. I know he is a little upright in the shoulder and short through the neck. He has pretty straight legs. Would like some more knowledgeable opinions, I wouldn't have put him on here if I wasn't prepared to hear what people like and dislike about him. Thanks :)

I don't know how to upload a video...

7. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

I think he is stunning! Absolutely love most of him.
    Am definitely NOT any expert at conformation but I love his neck and hind end.. the only thing I can really pick is a short wither and his pasterns are too sloped for my liking.

But I work with standies so am probably wrong :p

8. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

I have to agree with myyky on the pasterns. There very sloped. Seeing that his feet are quiet flat, some good trims and try and get a nice heel on him would pick up those pasterns in time.

9. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

Thankyou to those of you that offered an opinion.

10. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

Thankyou for helping

11. PsoasPony

PsoasPony Guest

Do you have any other photos of him standing (from the side), ideally square in the hind as well?

12. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I think hes quite nice. There is nothing glaringly wrong. He looks a good sort. I just have a suspicion about his poll...there is something odd about the way he is holding his head in the 'standing' photo, and also in the 'moving' photo. I'd be getting a chiro. He also is turned out a little in the hind, I like to see their toes pointing forwards. But gosh that is nothing major. Good luck with him! :)

13. SueC

SueC New Member

Hi there, these are uncensored thoughts and only represent my opinion.

I agree he is a nice type overall, and if he has a kind nature then I don't see any reason not to put time into him.

The things I really like about him:

* Nice broad chest, and good muscle development, especially around the shoulders, considering he's not in work

* His legs are generally where they are supposed to be, viewed from front and rear; no major problems; maybe he has slightly offset front cannons, but that could be the photo. His slightly turned-out hind feet can be helped by lowering his hooves on the outside (and shortening the toes, they need it all around, he seems to be developing desert feet - oversized hooves - in the front and this is usually part genetic predisposition, part a hoof trimming issue). Yes, the pasterns are a little long, but pasterns act as shock absorbers and too-short pasterns make for uncomfortable riding and more hammering of the horse's legs when working. Just watch that you don't work a longer-pasterned horse at speed on hard-ish ground (such as a trotting track) without protecting the rear "bumper" as such horses can get skin abrasions there without exercise bandaging.

* I like his face, it looks kind; the head and neck look fine to me. Maybe the neck is slightly on the short side and his head carriage in the action photo looks a little uncomfortable (but it's just one photo) - doing basic dressage often does wonders for a horse's head and neck carriage, so nothing that would overly concern me.

Now for the critique part:

* He's leaning forward a bit on his shoulder in the standing photo, so his front legs are sloping back - hard to tell if that's usual for him from the photo, but it's a bit unbalanced.

* The horse's hindquarters aren't the shape I prefer. He drops off a bit too rapidly and gives the impression of being a "front wheel drive" - most of his power coming out of his shoulders. There's nothing wrong with having powerful action from the front of a horse, but it's ideally got to be matched from the rear. His hindquarters aren't engaged enough at the trot and his hind leg isn't stepping far enough under his centre of gravity. In my opinion this is a consequence of his hindquarter conformation. However: A lot can be done to improve the way such a horse carries itself with careful hoot trimming/shoeing and with dressage; and good old trotting up and down hill on your outings.

Lovely gloss and condition on the horse. Go work him :)

14. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

This is a video I took this morning, he is only girthed up as I haven't put one on him for 18 months and just wanted to see what he would do.

[​IMG]

Anyone know any good chiro's that head to the southwest?

15. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I know of a couple in Busselton :)

I like him.

16. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

Do you know if they will travel?

17. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

Jafeica, I do bowen amongst other things which can help release the muscles and set the body on a path to healing. It may be a muscle/ligament issue rather than purely skeletal. There is a discount for multiple services on the one day.

18. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

How far away from Busselton are you? :)

Even if I had a session here, you're more than welcome to bring the boy down. Will have to see when B is next available for a Busselton trip if you don't find anyone else :)