Horse Colour.. Breeding for??

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by FDPH, Nov 10, 2009.

1. heheheFDPH:p:)*
    For a person who doesn't like dilutes in ASH breeding game:} to end up with a pally filly and a buckskin colt in one breeding season is disasterous!*#)
    How unlucky could you possibly be! You'll never get rid of them quick enough! hahaha!:}
    Congratulations on healthy babies!**)
    lena

2. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Oh I couldn't agree more... don't I look like the ding a ling... I spose the difference is I didn't plan it. What is the percentages of getting a pally bya pally horse out of a black mare and a bucky by a bay and out of a pally mare?!! 25% for the pally and approx 30% for the bucky! Oh well at least if I want to sell them they will have been bred for genetics not colour... the serious rider will get added bonuses!!

3. PPH

PPH Guest

ahh, but will they choose for the pretty colour or for the genetics? ;) lol

But yes, definatley an added bonus to have both in the same package.

4. I bet ya it will be a lady!*#)
    Females are usually very partial to palominos and buckskins, guys usually stay clear of them.:D

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

You actually had 50% chance of a dilute from either mating so as good an odds as getting a non-dilute :D

6. EVP

EVP Gold Member

You know the drum....."a great cake is a good cake with the right icing"!

I think this description fits very well here.

Look at all the "true" horsemen riding grey Omega horses....they don't care do they. Until they have to wash them that is. I'm with Lena, its a man thing...they don't like anything that requires a bit of extra effort. Heck they'd wear their underpants 3 days in a row if they thought we would'nt notice!

Go the "colours".........and go faster the good ones with colour!....ahahaha

7. PPH

PPH Guest

I thought red ones went faster?

You can tell I breed for colour with 3 red mares and one grey :D................NOT!!! lol

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

ahahahah thats why they make red ride on mowers!

I must say as a 'red horse' owner, I do like those other colours......and can't wait to get my grey mare home in the New Year.....will be nice having an 'exotic' coloured mare! I do have a flashy roan baby that always has people asking me about "the stripey one in my big paddock"........yep you can tell they arn't horsey around my way....stripey?.........yeah zebra! :D

9. FDPH

FDPH Guest

We are breeding a chestnut mare to Chisum this season and my OH wants a roan!!! Lord love a duck and we talk about women!! I'm thinking healthy good looking filly hes thinking roan....mmmm

10. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

Haha, You might not have much worry there FDPH, the foals in the advert all look normal bay or chestnut except for one I think! Thats all I'm going on though, haven't seen any others.

11. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Oh no Jacko the guy that owns Chisum has 50/50, he obviously just chose to advertise the chestnuts and bays!! Roan is fine, we don't have one of those so it would be OK to add to our colour "distortment". I think we now have 2 pallys, 2 buckskins and 2 overos, so a roan won't go astray! Mm why did I start this thread???
    Ah well a good horse is never a bad colour... he he thinking about women (and I am one!) we were at a draft early in the yr and I had just done a nice run on Goldfinger (buckskin) and this lady ran up and said " oh is he for sale he is such a beautiful colour" NOT "oh is he for sale what a good horse!!"... buyer selection could be the key to pretty colours huh!!

12. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

Sorry, but isn't a good example of what people were arguing about before.

This colt is by a sire that has done very little, and out of a mare that is only first cross. He only has first cross AQHA rego so his foals will be A2 at best.

Now if someone wants to tell me that the same horse would've been bought as a future sire if he was bay or chestnut then I'll be buggered.