Horse Colour.. Breeding for??

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by FDPH, Nov 10, 2009.

1. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

l can think of a few winning race horses with crooked legs. And one breeding stallion with a parrot mouth.

and wasnt there a horse in the kentucky or another major race that snapped a foreleg due to the bone being so fine. There was an article about it in one of the newspapers.
    A well known elderly TB breeder was searching for well boned old fashioned mares to put some bone back into his TB stud. His search took him to Russia and South America He felt with all the line breeding TBs were getting too fine

l love flashy coloured racehorses, fav is starspangledbanner.

2. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Of course there are, Saintly has the funky action for example. And there are plenty of cases of horses going down with broken legs etc, it all goes back to the probability. (I personally think the age in which racehorses are put under so much physical pressure has alot to answer for) There are less than perfect conformed horses in every discipline,that succeed. As for the breeding stallion with parrotmouth, that is just really giving the industry a bad name, but is not the norm, I cant understand how the governing bodies would allow this?
    With the breeder going back to avoid linebreeding, this could be due to the fact that TB's were linebreeding way before anyone else, maybe the others are just waiting for their turn at the problems. I will ad my own opinion of QH's and paints and the halter scene, some of those horses are bred way too heavy IMO. Their problems are just around the corner :}

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

A perfect horse hasn't been born. But plenty perform with less than perfection.....its called "heart".
    Fuddles who is to say that a "crooked leg" is not the result of bad management on the part of an owner or trainer. Not every yearling that goes through top sales ends up with reputable and knowledgeable race trainers.
    As for a breeding stallion with a parrot mouth......I wonder what his service fee is......?

Snapped legs you betcha......some die on the track with their gigs on too. Over jumps or in an endurance race.......horses die doing their jobs.
    Some might call it an "occupational hazard".......lololol Tragic but a reality.

If someone is searching for more sturdy genetics in the TB lines I wish him well.......he has the largest knot to unravel of any horse breed going back to time beginning. I hope he has plenty of time.

4. FDPH

FDPH Guest

The TB's that the ASH originated from were sturdy.... take photos of radium a pure TB and built like a rock, big feet, terrific bone, short coupled, deep girth but yes the TB is different now.

5. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

tho back then horse were reg with the ajc my horses father a pally was ajc reg also stockhorse

l was talking to a very elderly jockey who did some work on the snowy river scheme he said a quite a few tbs were put to welsh cobs and ended up on the race course. So who knows what some of the very old thought to be TBs have in the pedigree.

and the stockhorse, kilof mckol a WB was reg as stockhorse as was chippenham jaguar. Also my mare with unproven breeding by a RP out of a xbreed about 1985 when the book was open.

the parrot mouth stallion stands in WA its danehill bred either by him or a son. front teeth have been removed.

6. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

wouldnt it be great if every single horse person could have THE PERFECT horse ;)

7. belambi

belambi Active Member

Theres a HUGE difference between AJC and ASB. ;)

8. Nae Nae

Nae Nae Well-known Member

Ok so i havent read all of the pages but thought i'd add my 2bobs worth...
    I brought my Pally QH filly, because for the last 5 yrs of 'studying' linage and everything i had picked a few lines that i had liked, and she happens to have some of those lines. I organised to go view her, and Found a beautiful sweet filly, who had character, and ticked all my conformation boxes. Had she been a bay, a chestnut, grey or green i still would have purchased her. Personally the white main an tail drives me mad haha, but the colour is a bonus. When i decide to breed her, the stallion i choose, will 1- be chosen to suit her and suit what i want from her 2- If the stalion that ticks all the boxes for conformation and linage is coloured than i will choose him and lastly at the end of the day EVERY ONE who breeds horses would give anything in the world to have a healthy strong mare an foal with a complication free pregnancy and birth, over having a coloured foal. I mean at the end of the day we get as much choice in the colour as we do in the sex :)

9. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

wrong post whoops

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. PPH

PPH Guest

A good horse is never a bad colour but a bad horse can be a good colour.;)

11. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Whats a good colour BM??!!!!:D

12. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

smarty pants ;)

13. PPH

PPH Guest

lol maybe I should've said "pretty" colour then :)* :p

14. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Perhaps...!!:p

15. PPH

PPH Guest

But I guess your roans are a "good colour" if your a cutter, black if your a campdrafter and palomimo if it's western pleasure. ;)

But personaly I'm loving the bays at the moment, hehehe

16. the best WP horses are actually RED!:D

17. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

haha, well I think the best WP horses are BLACK!! ner ner ner ;)

18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

His name is RV Full Moon...can't wait to see his babies:)*

19. delta

delta New Member

I have an Andalusian stallion who is grey and I'm wrapped that he holds the bay gene as I still find it exciting when he has a new foal and its coloured, so far a red bay colt, a strawberry roan, colt and a more plain bay colt , my mare is due this month and I cant wait!So far no greys but I do think the strawberry will go grey.

20. sandalwoodpark

sandalwoodpark Active Member

hi delta have you had your boy out at any shows of late?