Horse Colour.. Breeding for??

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by FDPH, Nov 10, 2009.

1. FDPH

FDPH Guest

I have noticed that colour in horse seems to make a big impact on peoples lives, do people forsake genetics and conformatuion for colour or does the colour cloud all other vision!!? Perhaps more importantly do people want to make a buck and know they can do that by breeding colour!!? Maybe people just love horses and have no idea.. so they see a coloured horse and buy it without homework to its genetics, overlooking conformation and not thinking to what breeding aim they are trying to achieve... food for thought certainly contraversial and I'm sure the guilty will either not reply or come in 6 guns blazing.:))

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I admit it - I LOVE a pretty colour!!

So I seek out webs and pics of coloured horses. But I am also the ultimate cynic and I have not seen a breeder yet that states anything besides "the horse must tick all the boxes and the colour is a bonus."

yer right.

If the stalllion only holds a coloured registration or is unregistered geez they are talking a load of tripe.
    I feel the same way about the mares they use.

Having said that, there are some stunning studs out there, I could name several off the tip of my tongue. But you know by the registrations, the performance records, the dna testing, the stud fees they command, that they truly are not breeding for colour.

3. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

Whateva blows your hair back I reckon..... I dont reckon any breeder/buyer is foolish enough to do what you have suggested, but its a free world and people will do waht they will, and some others need to take a chill pill...! (or a nice glass of champagne!)*#):))

4. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I get confused with all these different colours, one day we will have a pink and purple spotted one I'm sure. I wonder if playing with all these colour genes is going to come back and bite us on the arse. Who knows... time will tell.

I believe a functional horse is more important then a pretty or colourful one.

5. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Well said nannygoat. It is so like parents wanting a particular sex - wishing for a girl or a boy but saying "so long as it's healthy!"

Although shouldn't matter we humans are visual creatures and easily lead astray by colour.
    I've seen some palominos and nicely marked coloured horses that would have been very ordinary in straight chestnut, bay or brown.
    I've met some that would be pet meat but for their pretty colours.
    Now when I see a pretty colour I try to visualise the same horse in monochrome - its pretty hard to do!
    I reckon the outstanding horses in boring colours are extra good because their performance and confirmation must stand alone.
    Its like plain people with great personalities.:)

6. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Gawd this could become quite a controversial thread.
    Anyway I have told this story before so here goes.

When I went looking for my next young un...I had a few prerequisites..I wanted temperament, height and movement.....colour did NOT come into it at all:D Look what I got! (in my avatar)
    I dont consider myself to be a fanatical coloured horse person...I think a good horse is a good horse. And yes I did the trick of pretending he was a bay when I went to see him...and he still stood out above all the other 2 year olds I looked at**)

I agree there are some breeders out there only breeding for colour...but I think there are quite a few that have bred and are breeding good quality coloured horses.
    My boy is 7th generation dilute....and is the nicest horse that I have owned...so they must be doing somthing right

7. Tojane:p
    what a good comparisson!*#)
    FDPH:)
    great topic!
    For the life of me I can't comprehend breeding for color only.
    Color is an icing on the cake, no more no less. For a quick return it might be viable, but when you start breeding inferior stock for color revenue only, sooner or later you'd run out of silly buyers.
    Nanny:)
    We love color too! But we will never compromise color for the sake of genetics or conformation.
    All our imported mares(except ONE) are RED. My fave stallion is RED, my fave foal this year is RED!
    We will never compromise quality for color, not disputing that color sells though.
    When buying a colored breeding prospect, one should've asked themselves would they'd bought it if it was RED?????;)
    lena

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  8. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Actually I concur.....I have found a bit of prejudice against coloured horses in dressage and have found that they need to be going better then the normal more acceptable colours like bay, chestnut, brown and bay

9. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Coliban, you have indeed extraordinary horses...buuuuuut....my fav is the blue one LOL

10. Thanks heaps Nanny:p
    you see , we were after genetics in our blue roan stallion not his color,
    We couldn't help the fact that Blue Valentines predominantely come in blue roan color though! Lol!

11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Its a bit like fluffy dogs....the coat can cover a multitude of faults but the fluff has the eye appeal.

For some breeders it is paramount for them to use specific mare and stallion colours to produce the colours of foals that they favour....like dilutes or Paints. I see nothing wrong with this, provided the breeder has a good eye for a good horse whatever its colour!
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a particular colour horse either.....just like buying a car. Again, provided nothing is over-looked.

For breeders in general flash colours make selling progeny easier.......if given the choice between two nice horses, one a chestnut and the other a black...the black will sell twice as quickly.

I love coloured horses.......they catch the eye, and they usually catch the judges eye also.....just like a pretty girl will.....lolol

If breeders are breeding with integrity....the 'getting of colour' is a great marketing tool and one that can give a selling edge......

12. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

LOL I googled Blue Valentine when you first got your boy (chasing the pretty colours see!) but the progeny I found didn't quite have the same appeal as your lad.

13. Trojane

Thanks Coliban - and RED is of course my favourite colour.:))

Yes EVP - there's no doubt about the eye appeal, but it is relative. When the world is flooded with paints and palis, a chestnut will be the desirable one!

Babe - re prejudice against coloured horses in dressage - probably true. Wasn't it considered "wrong" to do dressage in a broken colour - can't make out the outline of the horse as easily?
    And palominos were too pretty to be taken seriously :)

Marianne - when genetic manipulation gets into horse colours I'll be the first for rainbow.:D

14. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Apparently it was considered wrong....sure sometimes a pinto coloured horse may throw your eye a bit...but isnt it the same if you have a chestnut witha crooked blaze trotting towards you up the centreline?
    pallies arent a broken colour...a dapple grey would throw the eye more then a pallie i feel;)

ooo have to add...I hate my boy being called pretty...snort!

15. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

haha! six guns come in a blazin'!! *#)

no, not really. While i was looking for a horse i said to myself in the beginning "i want a palomino quarterhorse" but when i got looking around, i tended more towards the "red" ones (as you so aptly put it coliban!) i had 5 of them in my shortlist! But none of them clicked with me. :( So i got my palli quarterhorse!!
    But back to the original topic, i've seen an upsurge in the stud market of stallions that are homozygous tobiano/sabino/whatever, or are double dilutes.

I imagine that since our eyes our our primary sense, and that our society is tending towards the later years of the roman empire (things have to be aesthetically pleasing, especially those that show off how well we've done; trophy wives, houses etc) why wouldn't it spill over into other aspects of our lives?

Everyone likes to have nice things. But i don't think the stallion owners in WA have gone for the "he's a pretty colour/he's homozygous whatever. Ergo we must breed from him" track. Or not that i've seen anyway. All the ones i've seen like that have had if not outstanding, at least fairly good bloodlines, in them.

Sorry for the long post :)
    And i hope i actually stayed on subject. *#)

16. Trojane

Haha - it is your cross to bear. I once had a pallie too.;)

keridwyn - I like your decadence theory. Perhaps the pretty-colour dressage prejudice came out of the Protestant mindset of the English riding tradition? No-nonsense browns were best!

17. Thanks again, Nanny!
    Blu is not a colored show pony:p, he is a 4x4 version of a quarter horse.
    He does the job what he was bred for, to give bone and soundness into his off spring. Their good looks and color are just a bonus!:)
    lena

18. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Rofl....so you know what Im up against then :D*#)

19. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

haha! if you've ever seen an english rider at a western show, you know how much everyone hates the "stuffy-ness" and "ridgidity" of their rules!!

20. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

LOL never been to a western show :eek: but maybe I should go now that i half fit in with my pallie wb x tb! rofl*#)