*Horse calmer's*

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Totally andie and standie, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Totally andie and standie

Totally andie and standie Well-known Member

I was just wondering if anyone has tried any and if so which one they found worked best.? ';'

I have an ex game pony who can sometimes get a bit hyped up when it comes to jumping and nothing seem to do it except going around at 100 kilometres an hour :p

Many thanks TAAS

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have found a teaspoon of yeast in their feed a big help.
    Also a teaspoon of dolomite can help.

I think it sounds more like a training issue given he is a games pony. So training him that he has to go softly over jumps.

Set up a jump so you have a line into it and room for a circle before hte jump. If the pony is moving too fast the dont let him jump but make him circle. If he is approaching the jump calmly then jump.

Rinse and repeat.

3. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

TA&S, there are lots of effective calmers pastes and drugs to help really highly strung horses and I am a fan under the right circumstances but it does sound more like a training issue to me ';'
    If the pony has been trained to be a 'giddy-up games pony' then no amount of calmer paste is going to undo that - just mountains of contra-giddy-up training ';
    Take him right back to basics - walk a pole stop, walk another pole stop, etc and if you can walk a whole round of poles then take it up a notch and trot a pole, stop. Trot one more pole stop until you can trot a whole round.
    The pony will obviously need remouthing too but there is no point doing that unless the little rider has a very independent seat otherwise you'll just end up back where you started.
    Sorry if that is not very helpful, but that what I think ';'. My kids have had 'games-ponies' too. It usually describes a pony who has no mouth and only one gear - and it's such a lot of work to retrain them - you really need a small adult as it requires a lot of discipline, its repetitive and and boring and not much fun for a kid.
    Good luck.

4. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I have a horse that is a stress head. He never does anything, it's just all internal. I am feeding him chamomile, sootha nerves and stress and he also gets some b-have paste once a week. This is more to help wih his scouring then anything else. But the b-have seems to work pretty well. I have also used rescue remedy on my eventer with a lot of success. It does sound to be more a training issue wih yours though, with him being a games pony. No amount of calmers will help with that, just time :) good luck!!

5. Totally andie and standie

Sugar's mum iv tried that for over a year ';'
    I personally think training isnt the issue
    Iv had him for years now and tried everything under the sun #(

Its come down to his nature and how hes had going fast "drilled" into his head sadly.

I ride him so luckily its not a little child. Im quite light and not that tall
    Iv trained horses and broken in many myself including my youngin which makes me think i would hopefully be a competent rider who could retrain him if it was possible.

6. Totally andie and standie

I could easily list of thousands of ways i have tried over the past years to help him calm down and none have worked
    This is why iv chosen this as a last resort, ';'

He is a brillant hack pony and never fails to come home with placings and champion in the unofficial ring but he also has a lovely jump that has been commented on by various judges which is why im trying to pursue jumping with him as well but he is a slight hot head

7. Neats

Neats New Member

I am currently using Placid rein with good effects on a stress head mare also chamomile if she is really uppy

Just the other day I had her massaged by a different lady and the difference it made was amazing. She was the slowest she has ever been when ridden

8. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

I too had success with Placid Rein.

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Sorry TAAS I cant read minds lol. I had no idea you had been trying to retrain for so long.

When my girl got her anglo she had the same problem of him rushing over jumps.

Instructor (Who is fabulous) wanted her to do the retraining I described above.

Daughter found that way too scary.

Her solution was to put a kimblewick on him and it worked.

The reason for his rushing was she was frightened and then jamming his mouth and leaning forward from teh fear and he would take off trying to run away from her fear. The kimble wick allowed her to sit up and give him his mouth when he needed it knowing that she had control and could make him come back to the speed she wanted him to work.

Now she is no longer tense riding him she has far more success and far less fear.

That was the solution for her and her gelding. Not the answer the instructor wanted her to use but it worked for them.

By the way I love the instructor and with the right student I know his way would have worked beautifully. Just didn't work for my girls mindset.

10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Sorry sounds like a training issue to me too. If a horse is stressy to the extent that herbs will work then it will usually be stressy on the flat as well. have you been working with an instructor to try different methods to get the horse to concentrate when jumping?

Rushing fences can be a sign the horse dislikes or is scared of jumping. Or it can be a sign of them being an arrogant pain who thinks they know better than their rider LOL.

My boy tried this a few times... we started halting before the fence sometimes turning away and sometimes trotting on over the fence. That didn't work as well as we would have likes so then we tried as above but instructor stood a couple of strides the other side with a bucket of oats. That worked a treat after he realised he got fed when he stopped on the other side of the fence :D We also had placing rails both before and after the jump to get him thinking more :)

11. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

ONLY because it wasn't his training that was the problem!!

He is now back in a snaffle and going great guns, and is actually less strong in the snaffle now that I am no longer afraid.

12. Totally andie and standie

Iv had various instructors with their own various approaches as well.
    Because i thought there must be something i havent tried but obviously iv tried everything as all the instructors had no more ideas that i hadnt tried.

Hes fine and then a second before he jumps he will bite down on his bit and bolt then jump and after a few jumps hell get hot headed. If he was scared i would think he wouldnt jump at all ';'
    Iv tried just trot poles for agesssss and he will go over them no problem at all and wont rush. Its the jumps he rushes.

He wouldnt be an "arrogant pain" as hes a VERY honest horse and id never think of him being a pain as no matter what he always gives everything his best shot and hes never been naughty for the many years iv had him
    *touch wood*

13. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I know nadda about jumping - my idea of a jump would be to dig a long trench, lay the trot pole in it, cover the sides back up so only the very top of the trot pole was showing, and then 'jump' over that! *#)

However, you say he will trot over trot poles... will he happlily canter over the poles without jumping them or becoming hot, or does he want to jump them?

If you put out trot poles and just raised then (literally) 1cm, will he trot over them happily? Will he canter over them happily? Another 1cm - will he trot and canter over them without breaking stride? Keep raising them - at what height do they turn into 'jump' for him?

Then, when they turn into jumps, is this the point he becomes hot? Is it the jumping action itself that sets him off?

I guess my 'query' is - if he will trot over poles without becoming a hot head, will he also canter over trot poles without becoming a hot head? If he will, then is it the action of jumping that causes a problem?

Your answer might give a clue as to what might (or might not) be going on.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

well if you have tried all of the things suggested & had countless instructors help you & the horse is right in the hack ring & right the rest of the times & is happy to go over trot poles calmly but flogs it over jumps, it may be a pain issue??? even if the horse is regularly massaged & the saddle fits yada yada. he may have some beginning stages of arthritis in his knees or fetlocks or hocks & finds it painful with the form over jumps/impact on landing?

15. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

on the contrary. as an example, horses who overjump, rather than "showing exceptional ability and keenness to start their career straight onto 1.10m, are usually overfaced/scared in some way. but because they're honest & willing, they keep scrambling over fences because we ask them to. not that your horse has bad form, but i think it's related.

the bolting indicates pain or fear in some way? idk, that's what i'm getting out of this.';'

oh, and to answer your original question, i found brewer's yeast to be quite good, combined with Good as Gold when we went out.
    i also had my horse on rose cottage herbs' "CLM +" which was a daily feed & had tryptophan plus a variety of herbs. the BEST thing for him and i tho was regular instruction.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  16. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

to me honestly, it doesn't sound like pain at all.
    this pony is super keen & the way he knows is to fly at the jumps to get the height & impetus.
    I would advise getting some jumping lessons. Sure, you sound very experienced & have broken in ponies but this one may require a ground eye to help you. is that so bad?
    as for stronger bits : well, yes if you have good hands.
    there is life beyond a snaffle, but good feel & reflexes are super-important.
    hey, if everyone is into calmers, what about rakelin?????:p:p:p
    Nah, serious, I agree that this is drilled into this pony's brain & you will have to be creative to work with it.:)

17. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

alright, sorry, haven't read back properly, if you've had lots of instructors, then consider spelling pony from jumping?
    We all get quite hooked about what our horses are "good" at, we forget they may need a break.
    My Nuclear Mare has had a 10 month break from work just to allow her time to relax in her brain.....believe me it took that much time!!!!!

18. samgard

samgard New Member

As Im not sure what you have and havent tried, I thought I'd just let you know what I was taught by my instructor when I had issue with my SJ. She would start calmly and then get faster and faster round the course till the final jump was almost a flat out gallop (not much fun). What he had me do was to ride at canter into a small jump and then 2 strides after landing, halt and back up. At first it was pretty awful as I had to just about rip her head off to stop but it did work and she went on to do very well.

My other thought is to set up 4 bounces in a grid (but they need to be about 2ft high and quite tight to stop rushing and see if that slows you down a bit. From this you can then set up 2 bounces with a fence 2 short strides out to keep the horse together. Avoid riding long strides (opt for two short ones) whenever possible.

Hope some of this helps :)

19. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

i have been using the behave paste as a training aid, to give my girl some positive experiences, she gets it before we go to the arena for training and has done very well, i have never used it for competition, but since training with it she has improved heaps when out competeing, she just needed to have those few good experiences with the edge taken off