Horse acting strangely to saddle

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Brumbygirl1919, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Brumbygirl1919

Brumbygirl1919 New Member

I have a brumby who is about 20 years old. She was brought in from the wild when she was 2 and she has been in work the past 18 years just as a pleasure horse. She is trained really well, but lately has been acting really strangely to her saddle. I brought her a new saddle 4 months ago and has been ridden in that ever since and has been fine. Before I put it on she is calm, cuddly and relaxed, when it's on she won't walk properly, if leading her she will stop suddenly and look back. When i ride her she will just flat out gallop and not stop until she is almost physically exhausted. When I walk to her side she will follow me and we will walk around in circles, the second it comes off she stops and becomes calm again. I don't know what it is, i've checked the saddle blanket is on properly, washed it so nothing is on it that is bothering her. She has only been behaving like this the past 4 times i have gone to ride her. Her back doesn't appear to be sore, the saddle is extremely light and she freaks out when it is put on her without my extra weight

If anyone knows any suggestions or what is happening I'd be very appreciative

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

I would say if she is having such an extreme reaction then their is either something seriously wrong with her back or your saddle.

have you tried a different saddle on her to see if the reactions the same?

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

a few things to think about.

Sometimes it takes a few rides for the soreness to come out from a saddle that doesn't fit.

Being an oldie it is possible she has lumps and bumps inside that are getting squished by the saddle and impinging on nerves.

I had a mare that at around the age of 20 developed a melanoma with invasive nervous tissue. It was initially a lump that only appeared after being ridden.

The galloping sounds like she is trying to run away from pain.

Think it is time to get a vet or experienced bodyworker out to see what is going on.

4. Brumbygirl1919

I think I will but I've put pressure on her back in all places and she seems fine so I don't know what it could be and I'll try her with another saddle hope it works out

5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I recently had an Osteopath out to my horse. i found it interesting that the spots he found painful were triggerpoints that set up in a completely different part of the body to the origin of the problem.

Vets are not trained in trigger point or bodywork so sometimes the experienced body workers can find the solution that the vets cant because they dont have training in that area.

Just a thought to keep in mind as you try to find the solution.
    Hope you find it asap.

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Got a pendulum?! *#)

7. Brumbygirl1919

how much did the osteopath cost? and no i dont have a pendulum?

8. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

the osteopath cost $75 for the session. It was interesting watching him as I have done some massage training and basically it was just a different form of bodywork. I haven't been trained in it but learnt a lot from it.

The pendulum comment is in reference to a discussion in the open forum about a woman using chrystal healing complete with pendulum. It is a bit of a joke i guess.

9. Brumbygirl1919

ill have a look at it. thanks :)

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Has her saddle been fitted?

11. Macchiato

Macchiato Well-known Member

Given the horses age and previous good record I would be getting the vet out. Something does not seem right and would need further investigation.

12. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

Read back what youve written??? You brought a new saddle, the horse was fine until you brought that saddle, horse freaks out when saddle is on or your in the saddle..
    Do you think it could have to do with the saddle? Has the saddle even been fitted to her or did you just put it on ? Pain can take a while to show up when riding in a new saddle. Think you need to have her back checked and saddle fitted? Unless you are qualified i doubt your "checking" her back would have brought up anything...

13. NumidianHorse

NumidianHorse Active Member

As well as checking saddle - are you using same girth? ... if girth is different (to suit saddle leather lengths ??), then she could be feeling that too.

But I'm with the others - horse is trying to tell you that the "new anything" doesn't sit well with existing "somethings" (back / bumps / shoulders / withers etc).

I wouldn't subject her to the new saddle until / unless everything is checked.

... has she got a pendulum?! haha - that's not a joke at your expense - we're taking the mickey out of the woman in the yellow hoodie - go check it out! :p

Good luck with your sweet mare **)

14. Jacky Y

Jacky Y New Member

Saddle fit

I'd be having a very close look at the saddle. It may have a cracked tree or something that is not very obvious and when you sit on it it may open and pinch the horse.

15. luckyboy22

luckyboy22 Well-known Member

Recently we got a new saddle, our greenish horse was great with the old one, but with the new one she bucked! Th saddle was blocking her shoulders from moving! Its the saddle! Saddling is a real burdon!