horny pregnant mare

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by shyloh, Jan 1, 2010.

1. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

recently i purchased a beautiful welsh section C in foal but i have never had this happen she gets very horny over my other mares is this normal pregnant mare behaviour as i never noticed it in my other girls whilst carrying their bubs
    any advise greatly appreciated.
    cheers shyloh :}
    ps Happy New Year I hope you all have a wonderful 2010 :))

2. lucas and brad

lucas and brad Well-known Member

There is a horse at the place where i work, she is in foal but still acts very much so in season around the geldings?!?!?! I find it quite bizzare, shes been preg tested a few times just to make sure and she is definitely in foal, other then that ive never seen a pregnant mare act like this:confused: What is your new mares name and breeding? I hae a welsh C colt:D

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I am a bit confused by what you mean about acting "horny". Is she showing in season, mounting the other mares, or what?

I had a mare who would still show in season even when pregnant. She only did it to geldings though not mares.

However

4. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

My mare when last in foal was mounting my other mare. It was quite awkward and interesting to watch. If we let them in the same paddock she would chase the other mare around ripping at her rug and eventually jumping on her
    The vet just it was hormones acting differently on this mare.

5. Fire n gold1

Fire n gold1 Active Member

thats the samee with fire!
    bit strange

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I currently have Toonome the OH's hunka chunka Pinto mare acting exactly like a stallion & teasing up including mounting Gypsy the Pt Arab whom is in season.
    As they are all in with the stallion Mooney, Toonome was challenging him as another stallion would, including chasing him away from Gypsy. So Toonome is yarded now by herself. She too is in foal.
    Never saw her do that before & she's always been yarded with empty, in season or preg mares & on & off with a stallion. She's the largest horse i own (only 15hh but wider than she is tall) & it's quite dominating watching her behave like that so hence why she's currently by herself - which she hates! ;)