Hobbles

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Nikiwink, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

hi,
    i am interested to know if anyone here uses hobbles at all and how people have trained their horses to get used to them.

i am currently getting my mare used to them mainly in case i ever have to use them or if a future owner does (at least if i train her i know it's been hopefully done right and she won't get frightened in the future)

:) Nikiwink :)

2. Mel

Mel New Member

My husband uses them occassionally, unfortunately his mare has learnt that if you canter, you can still go anywhere you want! LORL

~Mel~

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hello Nikiwink,

Some of the top western trainers use hobbles as part of their training program. For example, a standard training session will consist of a 20 minute ride and then the horse being hobbled and tired up for another 20 mins. During this time the horse might be hosed down or brushed also.

Regards...Murray

4. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

basically i have been training her like that - short work then hobbled while cooling down or as 'quiet' time - the other times i've been hobbling her is at feed time.
    the only problem i have found is that the hobbles i have are knee hobbles so she can't move much at all.

a friends horse is hobbled at all times while out in the paddock - they can't catch him.i wonder though if they tried to train him a bit he could be caught easily.

:) Nikiwink :)