Himalayan Salt Rock

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Mad on Horses, Dec 30, 2008.

1. smash

smash Well-known Member

he he so do i nannygoat LOL
    that is why i slapped you with the fish and not myself LOL LOL

2. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

slapping oneself with a wet fish (as adverse to a dry one of course) could be likened to a self-disciplining action as per the albino monk in DaVinci Code.Could be quite a cleansing & spiritual thing.or one could always insert fish where sun does not shine...watch for scales upon extraction hehehehe

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

yor norty beagle

4. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

So I just like this stuff because it's harder than the crushed salt stuck back together as a lick. Lasts longer with horses. I just figured it as plain ol' salt. So why shouldn't I be using it, I'm confused :confused:

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I think if you just accept that it is salt without any miraculous healing or nutritional properties and are happy to pay heaps more for it, then nothing wrong at all!

It is handy to hang on the fence after all and it is such a pretty colour....

and yes, I have four of these atm combined with as many mineral blocks.

6. sil

sil Gold Member

Well for example the iodine content is 80mg/kg and daily requirement is 1-2 mg and toxicity is at about 50mg.

So OP's horse ate 1 1/2kg in the last 2 weeks, that is about 8.5mg a day just from the block.

7. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

But if it has all those extra minerals then it can't be very pure right?

8. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Hi Horse girl Jess, there is a post earlier which kinda explains this, common salt is typically sodium chloride - but there are such things as potassium salts, iron salts etc etc

But yes I use it as just plain salt, I wouldn't assume it has any healing properties, but they are handy to hang on the fence and in more of a solid form.

In our tropic conditions, my horses salt requirements are a lot higher than normal so they get these so they can have it ad lib.

9. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

I'm with you on this one Kintara, as it's so hard, it lasts my horses alot longer than those rectangle blocks that smell like aniseed. One of my horses just chewed his way through one of those aniseed ones, and I am sure he was just going after all the flavour added....also think it was too crumbly.

These hard ones last for ages, and I dont know how any animal could 'over do' the salt intake with one of them as they are just so hard!

10. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

i wonder Ziggy if they can be habit forming? the licking i mean? you know,they're comfy,relaxed,licking away,i wonder if they develop a habit of it hence lick too much? just a thought as i don't know the answer!!

11. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

LOL, I've had two horses have it nearly 2 months now and they haven't even had half. So I think they'll be ok on the iodine. :)

As for the OP horse, from what I understand then. If it ate one every second day for the next month she should be getting worried!!

Otherwise I'll just treat it like any other normal salt. That's how it was sold to me anyway, just as a handy rock salt. Doesn't cost much different to any other salt block they end up chewing on.

I'm not dedicated enough to give them another straight after they finish this one anyway!

12. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

Thats a good, thought provoking question Beagle....I've not heard of a horse being that obsessive about salt, however, as I said before, my gelding really chewed though the aniseed flavoured salt blocks. Since changing to the Himalayan salt lick, my gelding still licks more than the other two, but then he is the only one ridden, therefore the only one working up a sweat.

Interestingly, since hurting my back, and therefore not riding for a week or so, I've noticed my guy has'nt touched the salt for some days....so, in my horses case, I think I can rule out ' compulsory licking' behaviour, and put it down to 'lick by need'.

He would, however, eat at a compulsory level, if not monitored by me!:rolleyes:

Not called Ziggy the Piggy for nothing!