Himalayan Salt Rock

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Mad on Horses, Dec 30, 2008.

1. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Active Member

Also, apparently, sodiumferropotassomagnesium salt?

2. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Thanks Ziggy but can you please quote the author of the book?

Despite my pro-iodine stance I wouldn't go feeding horses "equine sushi" as understand iodine deficiency unusual in Australian horses, except in Tasmania.

A horse's daily requirements are tiny and toxicity from overloading is more likely.
    For example, too much iodine-rich feed (ie seaweed) causing enlarged joints and contracted tendons in foals.
    There's a good online nutrition guide available which covers this in some detail.

Seems if you want to add iodine, safer to use a good brand vit & min supplement.

3. Trojane

And sometimes a salt is just a salt.

Am off to google my lamp...:)

4. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

You are quite right SomeoneElse....ofcourse you can ignore her (Pat Coleby), but I'm surprised by the tone of your post (self-appointed 'expert')???? And I didnt forget to mention her name...I did'nt think that was an issue or compulsory. Be nice please, and happy New Year.:D:))

5. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

To answer your question Trojane, the author of the book that I quoted is Pat Coleby.:D

6. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Apologies Ziggy, it is just that PC recommendations can bring out extreme bouts of wickedness in many of us. If you ever want to see a horse nutritionist turn purple and look really nasty ask them about adding PC quantities of copper sulfate to your horses feed. *#)

7. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

Or kelp :p These are both "common" topics - try the google search up the top. There was a good article about feeding kelp on the old Equalize Horse Nutrition webpage.

Would the Himalayan rope swab if eaten before a show? Can you get a therapeutic exemption for that?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  8. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Would sulphur do the purple trick too lol? :) :p

Admired your lamp Trojane. **)

9. retroremedy

yes yes I will confirm I have seen similar purple furious reactions from the mentions of kelp and sulfur as well....in fact just the name PC alone will produce an instant "evil eye" from an animal nutritionist *#)

10. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

actually i'm sure potassium permanganate would also hahaha!
    my "herbal" sister loves her lamp - cost a few bucks for something you could nick out of a cave in Margaret River!!!
    Not my cup of tea.
    Wormwatch : maybe the hemp ropes could be the start of a new trend to "sweep" out sand!! Hahahaha.:)

11. retroremedy

Snigger *#)

12. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

I don't think it would, because the hemp that is grown to make clothing, ropes etc. is different from marijuana (dosen't have the 'effect':)) It probably wouldn't show in a test because the amount of marijuana is alot less in hemp than the marijuana plant, and the horse probably wouldn't eat the whole rope (just nibble it and bite it).

Although I may be wrong. I'm not an expert in this matter*#):)!!!

13. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

i think that was just a joke Clerrt....:):)

14. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

..............oh.......embarassed..........:)

15. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Well I still like the pink rock salt, not in a lamp but for the critters. Each to our own :)

Danni

16. pso

pso Gold Member

well, since my horses dont like their rock salt...how do I make a lamp out of it?:))

17. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

question : how many Stockies does it take to make a salt lamp?...!!!
    best answer judged will receive a GOLD STAR --- then build on them so you too can be Admin!!! HaHahaha.....oh dear.....hahaha

18. Trojane

Answer: 22

Mad on Horses to mount the expedition
    Eoroe to decipher the map
    Ziggy to read the manual
    Horsegirl Jess to roll the rock
    Sherreem to salinate the salt
    Horsetalk to colour it purple
    Webby to perform the lick test
    Caroline to watch for contamination
    Beagle to sniff out substitutes
    Lin to google and groove
    Mylittlepony to follow along
    Kintara to look pretty in pink
    Talking Shell to franchise for Qld
    SomeoneElse for expert advice
    Troppo to put Dr Karl on standby
    Nanny Goat to watch the kids
    Retroremedy to ward of the evil eye
    Wormwatch to collect glowworms
    Trojane to carry the bowl of fire
    Clerrt to trim the wick
    pso (aka priceless saltlamp official) to light the lamp

and Smash (where are you???@)) to beat off the Abominable Batchooks

Gee did I get you all? HAPPY NEW YEAR Stockie folk – I'm back to the bubbly!!!:)):)):))

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  19. painter

painter Well-known Member

ROFL I think Trojane just won that gold star!

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

LOL trojane, was hoping some common sense would come to those that need it LOL
    we have just developed a sulphurkelppotassiumpermanganate icypole to help equine nutritions from around the world ,from turning purple after reading a PC book.
    we have also developed a insertcommonsense icypole for those that try to read a PC book.
    and finally for all those that follow PC, we have developed a needabrainthatworks icypole.
    cheers