Himalayan Salt Rock

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Mad on Horses, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

Can horses eat too much of the Salt Rock - I recently purchases several of the 3 - 4 kg blocks, 2 weeks ago I put one in each stable, my old tb has gone absolutely crazy for it, reckon he may have about 1.5kg left, should I remove it for a while, I am a bit worried about him loading up his system with so much salt.
    :confused:

2. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

Excess sodium can cause colic and if the horse does not then drink lots of water, it may get diarhea (sp?). Some times they don't know how much to consume, so eating excess doesn't always mean that they are deficient. I'm not sure what the daily dose should be with your product (did it come with any feeding information on the side?). Maybe it would be a better option to control his intake by crushing it up and feeding him portions each day.

3. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Id have a look at the packet too - I think their may be more than just 'salt' in the fancy sounding himalayan rock salt (sorry - couldnt help that )
    .......I wonder if it DOES actualy come from the himilayas too.... he he :)

4. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Yep, this thread has got me pondering how much salt is up in the Himalayas!

It's a slow day in the office, so I'm off to Google the mineral composition of Mt Everest. :)

PS. Did you know you can buy a Himalayan Rock Salt LAMP?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. pso

pso Gold Member

LOL

mine arent overly keen on them...I've had the same one between 2 horses for 4 months now...The lovely hessian rope that came with it however, was devoured in 2 hours...*#):D

reckon he'll settle down after a while MoH....just make sure he has water at all times (silly thing to say- doesnt everyone do that anyhow?...believe it or not...they dont...grrrrr)

6. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

we have it for sale where work and i have just read the leaflet with it and it has iron (hence the colour) potassium and magnesium naturally in it.

they recon they are the purest form of salt available.

7. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I seemed to be interested in it...is there one in Qld?

8. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

My foals love to have the odd lick but enjoy playing with it more, i have had one between 2 or more, and noone of them are even half way through most have had about 2 months. But they do lick them a bit

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Using a good quality min/vit supp daily is probably safer and minerally balanced. Salt blocks should only be good for salt!:D:))

10. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

I bought two of these a couple of months ago, and the horses have the odd slurp when they feel the need.....their other minerals needs are met via their feed, so they dont seem to punish the salt block.

Out of the three horses/pony, the one that licks it the most is my riding gelding, who is the only one who works up a sweat (during work), the other two are pretty idle therefore less need for salt.

My horse who drinks the most water is also the same gelding, and I queried this on his last visit to the vet and had bloods done to rule out any kidney issues, but all okay there, so according to my vet the reason he drinks more, licks salt more, and sweets more is just work related....and ofcourse they are all individuals!

I tryed the block myself (just curious) and they just taste nice and salty, as you would expect....pretty pink colour...and I love the fact that they are as hard as the hobs of hell, as previously Ziggy would just stand and eat those horrible rectangle ones that have the aniseed in them....at least these ones slow him down to a slurp!:rolleyes:

11. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Haha - like the fabulous air purifying "BOWL OF FIRE"?

Himalayan salt is just old sea salt. Trouble is it lacks iodine as this leaches out in time, particularly under wet conditions.

I don't know how much requirement horses have for iodine but currently almost 30% of the world's human population suffers some degree of iodine deficiency - making it the commonest preventable cause of impaired intellectual development.

So don't be a cretin - eat only iodised salt and save the Himalayan variety for your lamps!!:)

12. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Also - if you live in an old house - the copper water pipes can encourage people to have an iodine deficiency, so another reason for iodised salt :) **)

13. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

As quoted from one of my books.....

......It seems that the whole of Australia is Iodine deficient, surprisingly even in coastal areas.......it seems that extended use of high analysis artificial fertilisers has affected iodine availability everywhere......Iodine is not truly a mineral and thus cannot figure on an analysis......It is essential however for the health of the thyroid gland, which controls the health of all the glands in the whole body. No thyroid, no life. Therefore, if an animal is iodine deficient, no matter what feed or minerals or vitamins are given, they will not be assimilated properly until the iodine requirements are met. Fortunately, the requirements is not very high, and access to.....seaweed meal on demand is usually quite enough to meet it.

Hope that helps someone.:D

14. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

have them hanging on all the gates with baling twine.

Likewise the goats gobbled the hemp rope first.

In the summer the goats hoe into the salt licks in the colder times they chow down on the mineral blocks.
    They have access to both all the time so it is interesting to see what they prefer.

15. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Oh I love these, so much harder than just crushed salt stuck back together blocks. They seem to last so much longer, the horses actually lick them instead of chew on them LOL! I wouldn't worry about your horse eating lots, but I would make sure he's got a good mineral supplement, he might be looking for something he's not getting in his present diet?
    Cheers

Danni

16. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Dammit. I want a Bowl of Fire.

Sooo groovy. Yeah baby. *cue Austen Powers music*

17. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Active Member

LOL! How can they be purer than straight salt, when they're contaminated with iron, potassium and magnesium! :confused:

Which would be by self-appointed 'expert' Pat Coleby. Which you forgot to mention. I, of course, can also assert my right as yet another self-appointed expert to ignore her.

18. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Interesting....I think I would stick to iodised salt, much safer!

19. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

20. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

:confused::confused::confused: i want one now lol, im going googling too!:p