Highland For Sale

Discussion in 'Product & Service Promotions' started by RVP Horses, Aug 6, 2013.

1. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

I have come to the hard decision to sell Yirri as I'm retaining her last two calves to breed from and I can't keep collecting more cows :( . Yirri is the mother of Fudge and Icy the two cream calves on my website. She is in calf to Hamish the father of Icy and Fudgy and is due around January or February next year. Yirri is friendly although not halter broken or handled as well as the calves that are for sale. I have had 3 calves from her without any calving problems so if you would like a calf of your own then this is a good package for you. All the details and photos are available on the website.

2. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

She is lovely RVP, are your highlands registered?

3. cathnrob

cathnrob Well-known Member

How come there not in the Royal? Or have I missed something!:D

4. serendipity

Do you mean there's no section for them at the royal cath? If they arent in the schedule its because there havent been enough breeders supporting the section in past years. If there was enough interest and committed breeders they could ask for them to offer highland classes.

5. RVP Horses

No my highlands aren't registered. When I first wanted a highland as a pet we enquired of one of the only highland studs at the time and were told their calves started at $3000. That was just the calf, no training etc.

That is a lot of money to pay for a pet cow!!!. Because mine didn't cost me that much to buy because they aren't registered I can afford to sell their offspring at a price that is affordable to the average hobby farmer etc who just wants a cute lawnmower to keep the weeds down.

Your right there are no classes for them at the Ag shows and I don't recall there ever has in WA so again a good reason to avoid the costly registered stock because you can't show them anyway.

I'm currently looking for a Dun bull but haven't been able to find one that the owners want to sell (well one that looks good anyway) so may have to enquire after registered stock maybe over east.

6. cathnrob

RVP, Yirri is lovely, and her horns are impressive!! Dolly and I are jealous!!:lol:

7. RVP Horses

Ha ha. Maybe you can get some prosthetic horns for Dolly :lol: How's she going Cathnrob have you got her halter broken and friendly yet?

8. cathnrob

Hi mate, yep she's halter broke, and leading, loves a brush and scratches, but probably cos I've been spending more time with the bull she's still a bit suspicious! But I'm really chuffed with myself I broke her myself, my very first! I was hoping there may have been some horns under all that fluff, but Nup, nudding!!lol Oh by the way I have a dun bull!! Do a deal with you!! Lol...:D

9. RVP Horses

Ummmm don't think yours would pass as a Highland though lol. Isn't squirt Dexter?

10. cathnrob

I'm currently looking for a Dun bull but haven't been able to find one that the owners want to sell (well one that looks good anyway) so may have to enquire after registered stock maybe over east.

Oh Sorry, well I only read this bit!!:lol::stir:

11. serendipity

Why not try AI RVP? Bloody hard to get ruminants from eastern states

12. RVP Horses

Yeah sounds good but I don't have a crush yet. :( Finding a vet to AI a cow standing in the middle of a paddock, hmmmm I think not :lol:. My older cows aren't even halter broken.

13. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

mmm how well do they travel? Our Busselton vet have their own tranportable crush which is very very handy.

14. serendipity

Yeah you can get away with AI'ing without a crush if they are halter broken. Or if they are halter broken you can travel them to somewhere with a crush. Thats why my two need to be halter broken, cos I'll be AIing them in November/December.

15. RVP Horses

All the new heifers I'm keeping that are related to Hamish are halter broken so I guess I could AI them when they are old enough, but I do need to get a crush as it would make life easier. It has to be a walk through crush for highlands because of their horns.

16. serendipity

RVP have you considered a Medina Hinge for the Highlands instead of a conventional crush? They are used most often for Texas Longhorns and for the same reasons would work well for the Highlands.

Granger Cattle Co - Registered Texas Longhorns

Cheaper than a conventional crush too. Not quite as versatile as a vet crush perhaps and you dont have the ability to squeeze them for restrain and calming, but if your cattle are quiet, almost anything can be done in a Medina Hinge and if you use gates with vertical supports along the horizonal bars, you can insert a pole behind them to stop them backing up.

17. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

We bought a crush second hand. It is one that has the pivot point at the bottom and kind of opens in a V shape. The cows have worked out that they need to turn their heads to get their horns through, and we just give them plenty of time to sort themselves out. They're pretty smart really. Our bull just plain refuses to even try and get his fat head and horns through, so anything we do with him is just by getting someone to feed him while the other person does the vax/backline etc.
    We pregnancy test the cows ourselves with a blood test which is really simple and cheap ( Cattle Pregnancy Testing Website | Inexpensive convenient embryo safe accurate cattle pregnancy testing diagnosis alternative | Easiest pregnancy testing method for Cattle Sheep and Goats | Livestock Pregnancy Blood test in your own time ) and doesn't require a vet, but does need the crush.

Keep an eye out for a second hand crush, because they do come in handy.