High Level Testerone Gelding ?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Zegger, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Im a wondering if my gelding has a higher testerone level the the average gelding as.

• When a mare is in season he got all "man bits" and very excited he has the arched neck, and constantly nickering and doing low mumbling sounds

• If i walk him past another horse as he is walking past he arches his neck and lifts his leg really high and (not all the time )

• Today he stopped for grass on his way back to paddock and the gelding in the paddock which we stopped outside of came over and we were about 5 metres away from the fence and he instantly stood tall arched his neck and was pawing the air and nickering

• He is a very dominant with horses and humans nothing nasty though

• He is very pushy on ground but thats more of me taking his b******t and not telling him off well he had a shock today and first time in 3 years i made him do what i want ( i know way to long)

• He is neck is also quite big with muscle considering he is not in work

So yeah is there any type of blood tests or something i can get done on him to maybe pin point if he has got a high level of testerone?

Also any ideas **)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Get him a blood test to see if he is a rig :)

3. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

If he is a rig he is a old rig as he is 19 :rolleyes:

4. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

yep you can get his testosterone levels tested.

I had my boy done earlier this year as he has alot of stallion behaviours. He actually came in well below the norm for geldings so be prepared it may just be him.

5. marinochkawe

marinochkawe Guest

thanks for the info guys. it'll really help me.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

My guy does this. Will still mount and penetrate a mare in season also so he can't go in with mares when cycling.

However he isn't naughty to handle. I kept him as a stallion until four and is extremely well trained in manners. What he wasn't a loud to do as a stallion he isn't a loud to do as a gelding! No erections while being handled, no over excitement around other horses (he loves those grey ones!).

Otherwise I love it! Love his spunk!

7. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

keep in mind that this time of year is bad for micotoxins in the grass and that can also cause riggy type behaviours....try upping salt and magnesium in the diet and limiting grass time as their potassium and mag levels get out of whack