Here lies Phar Lap...

Discussion in 'News Items' started by dirtbug, Oct 6, 2010.

1. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

2. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Thats americans for you. We had one visiting our office from our head office in the US a few years back at Melbourne Cup time.

He had never heard of Phar Lap. Couldnt believe that the whole of Australia stopped for a horse race.

And to top it off, the bastard won the sweep LOL.

3. Rachy

Rachy Active Member

:( I Hate How A Horse Like That Can Be Forgotten, it will probably happen to other horses like Makybe Diva or Barbaro in the future

4. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

that's shocking that a true australian champion could be trashed like that:(
    shame on you america and even more australia :mad:
    cheers shyloh :):}
    forever gallop free aussie hero

5. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Certainly a legend who will never be forgotten in my household. My altime favourite horse and IMO Makybe Diva cant even compare... but then Im super biased to him, I think it was his story that completely got me into horses to begin with.

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Ditto- my Hero is the Red Boy Bobby

Chers
    Lee

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Gosh that is very sad indeed.

I don't however see this as Australia's fault. We hardly have any say of what happens over there and no doubt someone at some point would of pushed to perserve the stables. Something to look into maybe to see if its been tried??

However although as much as it would be nice to perserve the stables, I don't blame any American for not knowing who Pharlap is. He would be of no significants to them really?

8. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Such a sad thing that has happened, but as Arnie said cant really blame the Americans. How many everday Aussies would be able to name any of their champion thoroughbreds?? I know proabbly no one in my family- except maybe Seabiscuit but they made a movie about him recently!

As much as a like the fact that you can go visit parts of Phar Lap I still find it a bit disturbing that so much of him is on display, is any part of the horse resting peacefully?

9. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Your right Ace, I didnt know about Sea Biscuit until the movie came out.

Though you can be assured I educated our American visitor about how the mob tried to kill Phar Lap cause they were scared of what he could do on the race track and because that failed they poisoned him. I pointed out that the Americans were responsible for the death of our most famous horse.

OK, so it may not have been based on fact, but that didnt deter me from a little emotional blackmail *#)LOL

10. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

at least his heart is here with us as australias was and will always be with him

11. brumby_78

brumby_78 Guest

did you know that seabiscuit was ridden in the same aussie made saddle that pharlap won the Agua Caliente Handicap..

George "the iceman" Woolf brought the saddle after pharlap died and rode seabiscuit in it :)

Secretariat - is another famouse yankee horse :) first triple crown winner and had the BIGGEST heart for a TB even bigger than pharlap's

and PharLap is in everyway a better horse than Makybe Diva ever will be...

12. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Id like to think he does live on in Timaru. A beautiful lady Joanne Sullivan Goessler who is herself a horse lover and race horse owner was commissioned to do a life size sculpture of Bobby and spent years putting her heart into doing the big fella justice. Joannes heart and soul are in this peice, the attention to detail is amazing. She used pics of Willy Pike (Jims grandson) to get his face right and photographed and measured every detail from the saddle to the bridle to his hooves. He stands on one leg - a tonne of bronze that just withstood the Christchurch Earthquake - surrounded by a fountain timed to emulate the sound of hoofbeats and he is ringed by roses. Joanne put every inch of her love for the big boy and horses into her sculpture. She even went to see where he was born and spent time with the people who knew him to get it right. Id rather think of him like this, proud and strong in his birthplace than chucked out in bits.

Phar Lap - Timaru. A Timaru Bred Champion - :: Timaru South Canterbury, South Island New Zealand nz