Hendra virus outbreak taken from ninemsn

Discussion in 'News Items' started by Sugar's Mum, May 21, 2010.

1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hendra fears spread in Queensland
    08:29 AEST Fri May 21 2010

Biosecurity Queensland has hurried to a Sunshine Coast property amid fears of an outbreak of Hendra virus.

It was confirmed on Thursday night that a horse put down earlier this week at the Tewantin property had the virus.

Primary Industries Minister Tim Mulherin said officers from Biosecurity Queensland and Queensland Health would be at the property on Friday interview the owners and anyone else who may have had contact with the affected horse.

"Officers from Biosecurity Queensland will be on the ground in Tewantin tomorrow with information about the Hendra virus," Mr Mulherin said in a statement on Thursday.

"We are taking the situation very seriously and are working closely with the property owners, and the vet involved, and will be contacting neighbours as soon as possible."

Mr Mulherin said Biosecurity officers would quarantine the property as a precautionary measure as the virus could have affected another horse.

"There is one other horse on the property which will be tested but currently shows no sign of illness at this stage."

Up to seven people exposed to the infected horse will have to wait six weeks to find out if they are clear of the life-threatening virus.

Queensland Health is offering free testing and counselling for anyone concerned.

Four people have died from Hendra in the past 15 years.

It is the 41st horse to die from the illness since 1994.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I had heard of vets not wanting to treat horses with symptoms similar to Hendra. Who wants to loose their life or their business.

3. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

My vet is the one that put this horse down, and it was kept 15 minutes away from me and my horses :eek:

Trying not to panic lol

4. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

oh no MSF#(..scary stuff hey..and to think they already have a vaccine..its crazy!! i heard its because the bats are on the move..130 thousand are heading into victoria in search of food..damn things:(

5. MyShadowfax

Yeah yuck! My housemate wants to shoot them if we see them near the horse paddocks lol - slightly paranoid haha.

We don't have any fruit trees on the property but I'm taking care to not put feed & water troughs under trees and certainly am not leaving feedbins out overnight!!

6. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Hendra confirmed in qld

Horse dies from hendra virus
    Updated 8 hours 48 minutes ago

It has been confirmed a horse has been put down at Tewantin on the Sunshine Coast after falling ill on Monday.

Queensland Health (QH) says there is no indication any of the people on the property have contracted the virus.

Chief veterinary officer Dr Ron Glanville told reporters up to seven people could have been in contact with the horse before it died.

He said the property owner noticed the horse's condition on Monday morning and a vet, wearing protective equipment due to his suspicion of hendra virus, examined the horse.

Dr Glanville said there was a bat colony in the area.

The natural host for hendra virus in Australia is the flying fox, but it is not clear how horses become infected.

A horse lives on the adjoining property but is not believed to be under threat.

Queensland Horse Council (QHC) president Debbie Dekker said most people believed the misconception the hendra virus was seasonal, coinciding with the flying fox breeding season between June and August, because previous hendra outbreaks occurred during that time.

"We are fearful people get complacent because they think the hendra virus is seasonal, but this is proof that this is not the case," she said.

"The fact is we don't know what the stresses are to cause bats to shed the virus.

"It's circulating in bats at all times which means it can happen anytime."

To date, four people have died out of seven who contracted the virus in Queensland, including vet Dr Ben Cunneen, 33, who died in August 2008 while working at the Redlands Veterinary Clinic, east of Brisbane.

Another outbreak at a Cawarral property near Rockhampton in central Queensland in August last year also killed four horses and claimed the life of vet Dr Alister Rodgers.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. MyShadowfax

So scary - and so close to home!

8. Astcat

Astcat New Member

:( terrible :(