HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by icebabie296, Jul 13, 2002.

1. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

My colt that I am breaking so a fairly good boy. I have a problem though, he likes my Dad better. He will do any thing for him and he knows he can get away with things me. I know that I have created this problem, because when I can't get him to do something Dad makes him do, only so that he doesn't win. Unfortunatley this makes him think that he can get away with thing with me. It gets a bit intimidating when he rears up at me, and he kicks out at me when I feed him sometimes, I know I should be smaking him or something but I feel bad doing it.

2. Em

Em Well-known Member

Don't feel bad reprimanding bad behaviour and manners!! If you were another horse in his herd and you were determined and positive that YOU were better than HIM, I can assure you that you would not be standing back letting the behaviour continue, you would be in there with ears back, teeth bared and hooves flying putting the young colt back in his place - after all he MUST RESPECT HIS ELDERS!! he may be bigger than you, but remember it is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog! Don't accept any other behaviour than the behaviour you want. But always remember to ask him nicely first to do what you want him to do, then follow through with stronger pressure and make him do it by the fourth ask.

Hope this helps

Em

3. Goose

Goose New Member

And remember it has to be consistent - he has to respect you all the time, not just when he feels like it or you're feeling up to bossing him. I find that and timing aret he hardest things to get used to working with my mare. It's so easy to just let a little misdemeanour slide if you're in a hurry but does so much damage to your training.

4. Em

Em Well-known Member

Could not agree more Goose - it all cones down to practise, practise, practise. And fortunately horses are the most incredibly forgiving animals. If we stuff up (which happens frequently) it may set us back a day or several months, but once you work through that you may find that things are better than you thought could ever be!!!

Happy horsing!!

Em

5. Veronika

Veronika Active Member

That use to happen to me all the time to. When I first got my boy, I had just lost my Rosie so I never wanted to do anything bad to Barney and we were going to be the best of friends, yada yada yada. He walked all over me - literally. He even knocked me over once. 'But i can't hit him'.
    Yes you can - you have to! It's what happens out in the paddock. You are the herd leader, you must be obeyed.
    He won't hate you for it. The first time I stood up to Barney, he was soooo shocked that he came straight up to me and put his head on my chest in a submissive gesture.
    Don't forget that your voice is also a very good way of telling them off. Particularly when they are just out of hand's reach.
    You have to be firm. Remember, ask nicely first, then ask firmly and if that doesn't work, demand. But you have to be prepared to demand and demand forcefully. Always be clear and the horse won't ever hold it against you, but will respect you more.
    And never forget to praise.

6. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

I don't have a problem hitting my horses (only when they deserve it though) My mare Gem wacks you with her tail when you do any thing near her back end, even when there is not a fly in sight, the more I hit her the morse she does it!! The problem with my colt is that I have hit him a few times like when he pushes into me when I lead and when he chews his lead rope, though he is getting a litlle head shy even if I smack him on the neck or shoulder. When he hurt his leg we had to give him needles. As most of you should know you thump them on the neck a few times before jabbing the needle in, so then after a few days he knew what was coming after you thumped him a few times. This also caused part of his shyness. He also scares me a little when he does some stuff and I am afraid that If i hit him he will do it more and I don't want to be afraid of my horse.

7. Em

Em Well-known Member

You don't necessarily have to hit him to reprimand him. Try driving him away from you either sideways or backwards, using the rope for backup if he doesn't move. Always allow him to stop and assess what just happened and then be nice all over him and desensitise him from the rope that you may of used. If you have had to bop him one with the rope you don't want him scared of it, he has to understand that the rope is your teeth and hooves!!

Em

8. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

We have a young filly adgisting on the property who is obsest in males. She is naturaly friendly and comes up and say hello and then go back and play with the horses, unless dad or my partner are out in the paddock then she is all over them. My partner was practicing his golf swing when the pony saw him and came over and wouldnt leave him alone. Even mouthing his club. I had carrots and she didnt care, there was a male to play with.
    Dad being fairly tall/big seems to intimidate some of the horses and they come to see if he has food but dont stay around for cuddles, however this pony loves cuddles from dad. follows him like a dog.

-bec-

9. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Thanks for that guys, I'll give it a try. He gets very scared of things very easily, but only when they do something bad to him. This is also why I don't get why he likes Dad better, because gives him a good old wack at least once a day, and has also thrown things at him for kicking him. No matter how nice I am to my baby he just doesn't seem to like me.

10. Em

Em Well-known Member

All horses are looking to us to be their leaders, or else they will be the leaders themselves. The only way you will start to have a relationship with your horse is through gaining his respect. Once you are in charge he will look to try and please you

Em

11. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Thanks I try to be the leader but I suppose it can be hard when he scares me. I am starting to think that maybe I need to think about getting profesionally broken.

12. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Icebabies , if you would feel more confident in having him broken in before you start work on him , do so , but say what sort of bit you want used on him. Even supply the bit for him.
    Breaking in a horse is not as easy as some people think , and I have been laughed at because it has at times taken me anything up to six weeks to be actually riding the horse that I have been working on.
    However I haven't taken any notice of this , and have not had any trouble with the horse in question.
    Another thing , you really have to be confident in your own abilitly to be able to do this , and not show you nervousness.
    Every one is a bit wary of a new or young horse , and if they aren't , they are an accident looking for a place to happen.

Jo

13. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Most horses don't scare me, only I think because I haven't had the best of horses from the start of my riding life. I don't know why my gelding scares me. I have loads of people here who have broken plebty of horses and worked on heaps of problem horses and they are all tying to help and give me advise. However this confuses me and I don't know who's advise to follow. The bloke that runs our feed shed is helping me to mouth Destiny, though he says to use a bosal and we don't have one, and can't afford to spend $150 on one just to use for a couple of months on one horse, because I don't plan on breaking any more horses!!

14. bianca

bianca New Member

My pony hates my Dad

15. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

I would suggest the Parelli method of getting this horse to respect you. He needs to respect you or you'll never get him to do anything. I agree with Em, do not feel bad about reprimanding bad behaviour. Even if it is a light smack, it lets him know that you are not impressed by his behaviour. I have been exercising a friends horse (2yr) and he is very much the baby - gets bored easily and trys every thing and anything. I've just been giving him a light slap when he starts acting up, and he has improved out of sight! He's even stopped chewing his rope when i leave him tied up!

16. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

I can't afford to pay someone for lessons at the moment, and videos, while they help don't work completley. So I guess, I jst have to start to put the time in and give him a wack when he deserves it. Though I am afraid of making him head shy. Even though he has never been smacked on the head he still shys away from my hand and what ever is in my hand. (unless he wants to chew on it)
    He is very sensitive and I am afraid of ruining him, because of giving him a wack.

17. Mel

Mel New Member

So Don't Wack Him...
    You obviously feel this is wrong, follow your intuition Icebaby.
    If he is a rat at feed time, tie him up, take him away, make him wait, if you are walking into the stall with his food and he comes at you, turn around and walk out again ignoring him when he is not behaving and being impatient and keep doing it until he gets the right idea his belly will soon settle his manners.
    If he rears, learn how to disengage the hindquarters from the ground with your rope and chase his back end, I have never seen a horse able to rear whilst turning a circle and I am sure he will get the drift when he gets sick of turning circles.
    You will lose his trust just lashing out and hitting him with no warning, at the moment he trusts you with disrespect, you dont want no trust with disrespect or you will have a monster on your hands.
    Good Luck

~Mel~

18. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Thanks Melanie, I'll give it a try. When he comes down, I should be able to work him every day, because he will be in the backyard.

19. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Icebabies, I found that if I had to reprimand any of my horses by giving them a whack , I only ever whacked them with my open hand behind the girth area.
    My horses learned that the different tones of my voice meant when they were in trouble.
    I only used the open hand when they were/did something really bad like cow kicking , or anything of that nature.
    Remember that all horses have their own natures , some of the playful , some of them naughty like a child , where they will want to play , or try you out as a child would to see what they can get away with.
    An example of this is our "Luke " who loved to hold the legs of my jeans when I was putting the rugs on him. This was purely play , and no attempt was ever made to bite me. To this day I reckon that he used to grin when he was doing it , and when I had to back up so that I could stop him to get to the legstraps.
    One mare that I was working on , was a real bitch , and would come at you with the teeth bared when you went into her stable to do anything with her. I tried all sorts of things to make her more tractable , and finally had to hit her across the front of the rug so that she would back up . After this I was the only one who could get in the stable with her , as the owners would not boss her.
    I must admit though , when we had our rugs stolen , the ones on her weren't taken. I bet she gave the thieves the rounds of the kitchen.

Jo

20. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Destiny is very playful, he usually has other colts to play with. But when we take them away from him he trys to play with us. (we used him to help wean foals a bit because he would play with them and he loved it) He nips at me and rears up and runs circles around me and I know he is just playing, though it is a bad thing for him to do. We have to watch him carfully around little kids and cats, because he tries to play with them, by picking them up with his teeth!! Dogs aren't a problem though because a friends dog chases him all the time so he has learnt to chase back, trying to hit them with his hoof. (I don't think we have to worry about dogs attacking our horses with him around) He doesn't try to play with anyone but me and sometimes dad (unless it's a llittle kid or someone who is with me) and he hates strangers and won't go near them (another good thing) I guess he sees me as being at the same or lower level in the pecking order and I need to change that.