Help with picking up feet

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by serendipity, Jan 29, 2013.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

My broodmare used to be terrible having her back feet done, would snatch them, stomp them, wrench them, kick you over you name it, she tried it!

After she foaled down, I tied her up (to baling twine, although she gives to resistance so could tie her solid too!) and then every day, twice a day, I picked up her feet, and picked them out. If she tried to pull them away, I growled and held firm. If she tried to kick or anything else, I gave her a slap (sounded good, but hurt my hand more than anything :p) and she came good within two days. Hers was a dominance issue.

She used to walk all over me on the ground, but now she'll walk in her own space, stand quietly for the farrier, and be happy to stand out on the arena on the lunge instead of insisting she has to be in my pocket.

It hasn't taken me that long, I just had to show her who the boss is!

2. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

Thanks CD! This mare really.doesnt respond well to the 'showing who is boss' tactic, she falls apart when you take a hard hand with her. Conversely the gelding living with her is exactly what you describe ad ive done just what you did except front feet so ive been pinching his neck and hindquarter yielding him and he is now good as gold. Important as he is the one with the abcess so he needs to let me and vet look at his feet.

I do think the next step is teaching her to tie and i am hopeful that this will help the foot situation. I will be starting.on the weekend - she is in season currebtly and being a charming witch but should be over it by saturday if she follows the same pattern as her last heat.

3. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Haha, don't you love mares! :rolleyes:

I got my colt and a friend of his together for a play date the other day, she was in the middle of a raging heat, and went absolutely insane! Usually she couldn't care less! Mares! :rolleyes:

4. serendipity

I didnt connect the dots until yesterday. I noticed the last heat easily as there was a gelding here that she had the hots for so along with going crazy she was also weeing and posturing for him etc and being a real tart. That boy has gone and she doesnt see the other gelding as a 'real man', so she's only got the narky behaviour this time round. I was scratching my head wondering where my sweet mare had gone a couple days ago when I went out to work her, and asked her to lunge at a walk and she took off in an angry little canter bucking and pigrooting. And had the neighbour complaining at me that my horse was 'dangerous and I needed to get her under control' she was yelling, running the fences whenever someone was out there and apparently rearing when the neighbour went in the paddock to get her mare.

All of this had me scratching my head in disbelief until I realised yesterday was exactly 21 days since her last heat.

I will admit I've had more to do with geldings than mares but the mares I have had, have never really played up during heat.

This one keeps me on my toes!

5. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

serendipity, it actually sounds like you have quite a nice horse there with a lot of the basics well installed! **)

Time, consistency and patience will see you win the day! :) (And if you don't, hey, there's always tomorrow! :lol:)

:))

6. serendipity

I agree jj :)

i thinkbshe is a lovely.little horse. Highly.intelligent, nice nature and someone.obviously.loved her at some point. She just fell on rough times. I reckon.give her a year and she will be a competely different horse.

7. TBrule

TBrule New Member

problem picking up feet

I found this solution to a horse not picking up its feet from a wise old farrier. He told me to loop a bandage (or polo) around the horses fetlock a couple of times, hold the rest in your hand and 'lift' the foot up by pulling on the bandage. Seemed to good to be true so I tested it out on a couple of Police Mounted Unit horses that wouldn't pick up their feet (BIG drafts!). Can't believe it worked but it DID. Have tried it on some other horses and it worked a charm on them too. It is MUCH easier to hold the foot up when holding the ends of the bandage. A quick pick then reward with a treat and soon the beasties were picking up their feet whenever I asked. (The Police officers thought I was a genius! :D)

8. La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita Active Member

Where you hold the foot also makes a difference - if you hold the fetlock and heel it is easier for them to pull away. Holding the toe seems to stop them from doing this, or at least try less hard to pull/push the hoof away from you. While your baby is unshod, try holding the toe. It's not a good method for those who pull the hoof away while shod, as the shoe can cause some seriously ouchy grazes, but practising now means you won't get any owies later on :)
    This will sound nuts, but ... looking hard at the fetlock will also help. Maybe because your horse sees where you're looking and goes, 'what? This?' and takes the weight off it, or it's an inherent Spock-like trait in us all. It just helps to stare at it, almost willing it to move upwards, for about ten seconds before you lift. It also helps in future as they will lift at a glance.:rockon:

9. serendipity

As an update since this thread has been resurrected, we are no longer having foot issues thanks to a good farrier and a good trainer helping us out