Help! This sore won't go away!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by naughtydog63, Dec 18, 2007.

1. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

My horse had an... "accident" like 3 weeks ago now. This caused him to have three stiches in his side. And what appeared to be a couple of scratches, one on his fetlock, pastern and stifle. The stifle one was quite bad, healing nicely. The pastern one is pretty much healed. The stitches, which are (supposedly) dissolvable are still there, but they are healing nicely too!

The one on his fetlock is giving me greif! The vet said his stifle could be broke and to get it xrayed, but he was walking fine so we didn't bother. One vet bill is quite bad enough thankyou. And he appeared fine. So the vet said to keep it bandaged for a couple of days. So I was commited, for a week I went up and bandaged it every day! It swelled up so I bandaged it up his leg to push it out. Everything was going good. It was staying clean etc, but around the sore site it was still quite hard. Thought nothing on it, should go down soon.

The other day it swelled up again! After it was going so well. So I bandaged it up again, to push the swelling out. It went down a treat. I thought it may have been infected, so gave it a really good clean, but it looks fine. Put boots on cause I thought he may have knocked it. Today his leg is swollen again! Not as bad, but swollen none the less! The sore area is swollen also (still has that hard stuff around it) and there is a bit of heat in it.

So have pulled the boots off, thought they might be agrivating it. put some sea salt minerals on it and purple spray! Walked away. I've got no idea what to do, and I'm at wits end. He is trotting fine and is quite happy to gallop around his paddock like an idiot. What do I do and why is it all hard like?

Please help!

2. samm

samm Gold Member

Is there a possibility there's something in it?Like a small splinter or something like that?
    Do you know what he did it on?

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

If the fetlock is still the prob, why did the vet mention that the stifle is broken and maybe needing x-rays??? Whats the connection???

How did the injury occur???

Is there any foreign object embeded in the fetlock for it to be still swelling?? Perhaps the horse has soft tissue or ligament damage i instead??

Perhaps a second vet opinion is the go for your peace of mind.

Very hard to advise further from a computer screen!!!

4. pso

pso Gold Member

I'd advise another vet visit...You did hit the rock awfully hard...A foreign object or chipped bone would not be suprising!

5. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

you dint say what you wrapped it with either did you put a poultice on it to draw it or just a dressing? i had a horse whack his leg once and three months later a splinter came out in between it kept swelling up

6. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

That doesn't sound to good, better get a second opinion on this one. :(

7. naughtydog63

He hit it on a rock samm, at a gallop mind you. The vet came out at first caroline, when it happened it was at an event, so it was immediatley after. It wasn't a poltice, just a bandage. gamgee maybe? after that I did guaze, cotton wool and bandage then just gauze and bandage.

Wouldn't a bone chip hurt and cause him to be stiff. Maybe I can get a photo of it. The cut is like a 5c piece, and the surrounding area like a 20c piece size it just hard? Am I just being paranoid? If the whole leg swells someone said likely not tendon damage, and wouldn't he be like ouch on it? He's not.

I guess the question at the moment is, do I just wait a little longer and see if it comes good? Or do I get the vet out now. (there goes the xmas bonus...)

8. pso

pso Gold Member

Well, I'd atleast ring the vet and speak to them, They will tell u if it needs seeing straight away...and the course of treatment in the meantime...:)

9. Derby Chaser

Derby Chaser New Member

While you have the vet on the phone, I'd ask about that sutured wound. 3 weeks is a long time, you may need to take them out yourself. Good luck with him.

10. naughtydog63

Went up to see him today. Pulled his stitches out after being told they weren't dissolvable. Very angry at the person who told me they were (not the vet). Both legs were swollen... What the? So giving him the once over and noticed his other stifle is swollen. And has like this massive slit. It was a clean slice from his rug leg strap! I'm horrified! So I'm thinking maybe thats where the swelling came from and not the sore on his fetlock. I dunno what to think. Hosed it down and playing the waiting game again. Put boots on to hopefully push the swelling out a little until the weather clears up and I can bandage it up.

11. Derby Chaser

Derby Chaser New Member

Hmm... strange you were told they were dissolvable.

That's no good about continued swelling. I'm really tired... not following you... where exactly is the swelling in the leg? The other leg may be compensating. Hosing is definitely beneficial! Maybe try a poultice (such as swelldown), just remember not to apply over the open wound(s). Once a wound has started being treated as an open wound, you're probably better of continue that avenue of treatment. The vet who has examined the wound should be able to offer you the best way to manage it. Hope that swelling subsides! :(

12. Feuer

Feuer Guest

I thought stitches were only dissolvable if they were in the mouth?

So sounds like you have tried everything.......hopefully there is nothing inside of the fetlock causing it to swell like this.

A friend of mine swears by honey as a healing agent. I would slather it with proper bees honey if u can get your hands on some.....apparently it does miraculous things...bandage it up and leave it for a day or so. Good luck :(

13. simbin

simbin Gold Member

IMO I would be spending my xmas bonus on vet fees. :)