help, my horse is losing his top line!!

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by wooki, May 14, 2007.

1. wooki

wooki Well-known Member

hey everyone,
    my horse is losing his top line and im having difficulty getting it back- i've been doing lots of hill work but its having little effect

are there any extra excercises i can do? any suggestions would be muchly appreciated
  2. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

hmmm out of the blue here, but when you say work, how much? Like 4 times a week and what are you doing?

For me a lot of riding is once a week LOL
  3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Whats he / she being fed?
    Is he / she rugged?
    How is he / she for weight???

Got a piccy? :D
  4. country chick89

country chick89 Active Member

i no my boy lost hes for a while but i lunged him for a couple of weeks bout 30mins a day and that broughty it back up
  5. Talz

Talz Active Member

As said before, piccies would be helpful? How often do you work him/what type of work/how old is he?? The best thing I have found for building top line on my mare is working her long and low. When I bring her back into work after spelling (which equals horrible neck and absolutely no top line!!!) I start by lunging for 15-20 mins 4-5 times in the first week in the low position of my pessoa system or loose side reins, then drop this to 2 times a week and a couple of rides with long and low work and moving from behind. Once they start building a bit more of a topline and muscle, you can start asking for morefrom them and it will continue to improve. Just my opinion and what has worked for me.
  6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Some horses are born with a natural topline.... others need long/low work & correct feed.

Things like ill fitted saddle are a killer for bad topline as well.
  7. wooki

wooki Well-known Member

ok, well this was cal 6 months ago

this is him now

in terms of work he gets ridden 6 days a week-5 proper work outs of about 50 mins to 1hr and 1 social trail ride

Every ride we need to go up to a neighboring property (25 mins down the road) its a very hilly area, so he's doing hills at walk trot and canter most days

our workout are mainly dressage (our showjumps got stolen) we do lots of up/down transitions and lenghthen & shortening of strides

he keeps his weight on a little too easily- he's grazing throughout the day and gets a handful of hav monring & night and 3 cups of pellets (half a scoop)

in terms of rugs he has a cottong & bib on during the day, in the pm he's in a sheltered yard woth cotton,bib, p/f neck rug and a eurohunter true blue

what do you think?

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  8. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I dunno , I am no nutritionist, but with the freezing winter coming on lots of horses are losing their roundness if on grass only, which is probably not quite enough for a horse ridden for an hour with faster work on hills every day. A handful of hay and a couple cups of filler pellets would hardly touch the sides. He has a half tonne of muscle to maintain. Gotta feed the need for speed.

How does everyone define 'keeping weight on'? To me, Cal still has a grass-tum, but his neck, shoulder and HQ are wasting a bit. Could be the photo though.
  9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Of course they don't look as flash as they do with a wooly winter coat then a sparkling summer coat so I don't think that last picture is really relevent expecially seeing he's got one leg resting. Maybe take another body shot now?
    Like mentioned you might not be feeding enough. The work load you have for him sounds like an aweful lot. Maybe cut it down a bit.
  10. Nice horse Wooki.....but I agree with BB, hes got a pot belly or grass belly. (Bit like those starving african kids, all skinny with a big belly cause there not eating

I would increase his hay, Lotsa hay...:)* you cant go wrong!!!

Hard feed (try something simular)
    Barley, or Lupins or full fat soy, or pellets

A horse getting ridden 6 times a week needs to be fed accordingly. I believe you can exercise a horse but he wont put on muscle without the right feeding.

No matter how much long and low riding you do if your horse is burning all his energy then he will drop weight were it counts the most.

You say he keeps his weight on, but to me looks like in all the wrong places. Try adding more protein into his feed and see how you go :)*

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  11. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I would work him long & low at trot & feed him more. Soya bean meal is good for helping with topline also we were recommended using a product called John Konke's Muscle XL for building the topline on Donnas WB.
    You have to work them everyday for 10 days & give them the muscle XL with in about 15 minutes of being worked.
    We thought.......ok we will give it a go as Aircraft had lost alot of weight just travelling over here from SA. I was amazed at the result, it certainly did help. He was getting well feed as well because he had to work so hard, but he is looking heaps better now.
  12. Hi!
    I don't think that you feed your horse adequately to the amount of work he is doing. FEED him MORE! You can't get muscle build up (top line) without feeding protein. If you are concerned that grain will warm him up, then add a cup of canola oil into his feed and reduce the amount of work untill he catches up with his condition. Work load and amount of feed MUST be balanced for the horse to keep the condition. Oaten hay and more good oaten hay, pellets, soya bean meal, canola meal and oil! And use your common sense, when body builders are doing their workouts to get more muscle what do they do? They encrease their food intake accordingly to the excersises. I bet they don't eat lettuce and cucumbers (like grass in the paddock), they eat meat (protein) to build the muscle up! Obviously the amount of protein you feed him is not enough and therefore he is LOOSING his top line (muscle) instead of building it up!
  13. KC...can you tell me more about this Muscle XL. Tell me if I am plain stupid but do you have to ride for 15 minutes then stop and feed your horse and then get back on and ride :confused: ......sorry im confused or just blonde :p Is this stuff a pellet or a paste????

Sounds like an interesting product :) im glad it worked for you!
  14. I read it wrong :p not hard to confuse me!!!!

Yep with ya now Rose thanks for clearing it up :D .
  15. QHfan

QHfan Well-known Member

just thought i'd put my 2cents worth in, the muscle XL is fantastic- you can almost see the muscle building up before your eyes!!!! A particular stockfeeder i know sells it by the kilo!!! AND is smells divine- like a vanilla milkshake Yummy!!!! Long and low is good for topline and helps relax your horse as well
  16. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Yeah, have to agree it does smell great & I was amazed at how well it worked.
    Its a powder that you either mix into a paste & give like a wormer or put into their feed.
    We just mixed it up & syringed it into him.........they dont mind it.....maybe it tastes as good as it smells LOL
    I agree QHfan you can almost see the muscle develop before your eyes. Crafty certainly looks heaps better for it :)
  17. QHfan

QHfan Well-known Member

I used it on both my Appy's when i was getting them ready for the Ch'ships and i was more than happy with how they came up!!! I used tojust add a little water and put into a handfull of lucerne!!!! they licked the bowl clean!!!! The other thing is that the muscle stays there as well is doesn't need to be maintained!!!! Yay!!!!
  18. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I know this is basic stuff and you have probably got it under control. But make sure his teeth and worming are up to date!!**) O.....and agree with what everyone else has said!!!
  19. Snippit32

Snippit32 Well-known Member

OOoooh, that stuff sounds good for my girl. Just a question tho, how long on average would you have to work them for? Would 1/2 an hour be enough, flatwork, walking and trotting? Or would I need to push her a bit harder?
  20. QHfan

QHfan Well-known Member

Well mine were just weanlings so i couldn't ride them and i just lunged them till they were just starting to sweat- i don't think you need to go crazy and work your horse till it drops but just a normal workout would do. It works after you've finished not before- if you get a container of muscle XL it has the scoop and all the instructions and feeding guide on the back!!!