Help my gelding is a rig???

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Marisi, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I have to agree with smash. I dont see a problem with using a serving stallion to tease the mare, but only if he is getting that mare. I would not use another stallion to tease the mare if the serving stallion can see it. Frustrated stallions can easily end up out of control, regardless of how experienced the handler is. I have also seen stallions hit fences, trying to get to the mare when he can see her being teased by another.

2. The answer to both of your questions from our personal experience is NO.:}
    We are talking about TEASING here.
    Handling any stallion, frustrated or not, being used as a teaser or not, could be dangerous, but it has nothing to do with what you've stated re teasing with a stallion on a property that stations more than one stallion. What's the difference?:confused:

Why NOT?:confused:
    I would still like to hear your answer from your personal experience to the quoted above.

MLP
    PLEEEEEEEASE don't tell me that your breeding practices with your gelding that jumps and penetrates mares are better than ours, pleease!

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  3. sil

sil Gold Member

Our two stallions are paddocks with a 5 metre laneway between them.
    We tease and serve mares with the respective stallions in their paddocks, where the other can see what's going on.
    They can trot up and down a bit and gawk, but that's about it. I don't see any frustrated behaviour, taking it out 'later' on the handler (usually me!) at another time etc.

4. Same here, Sil;)
    The stallions paddocks are surrounded by mare paddocks.:)

5. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

PLEEEEEEEEEASE dont turn a discussion into a personal attack. Everybody does things their own way. I never said that a major TB stud has better breeding practises than you, get off your high horse.

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

:}

All my horses can see each other & I have 3 serving Stallions on my property.

I paddock outside mares next to the Stallion to be bred too.

I usually "tease" the Stallion /mare I intend to breed, but I have been lazy or short for time and couldnt or didnt walk my mare around my property to the Stallion I was intending to use over her- and just "teased" her up with the closest boy to her paddock. So far all has been ok. ;)

Cheers
    Lee

7. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

This one has run it's course now!
    Time to close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.