Help my gelding is a rig???

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Marisi, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

sooo..... on the other foot.

Can anyone enlighten me on the practise of teasing stallions?

Is it common to do so with a mare ect?

Just to confirm in my mind information I have heard - thankya awl!

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

hi Eoroe,
    (this is for large Tb studs)
    "normally" a pony stallion or gelding will be enclosed in a small yard.
    the stud will let a group of mares into an ajoining yard to the teaser.
    the mares that are "ready" will go over to the teaser and tease the beezeebas out of him, by backing up and squirting wee wee all over him and letting everyone know she "wants a bit or is ready", the teaser is usually quiet vocal (as males are) LOL

the stud will then normally pull out those mares that are "ready" and clean them up and get ready for the vet to scan (this is where, if mare has any "girly proplems" they are also dealt with) and then work out the best day/time to serve.

well that is the basics anyway.
    most studs will run the whole group of mares through with the vet, to make sure everything is good, and how far they are off ovulation blah blah blah

cheers

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Agreed.............except this practise is not exclusive to "large TB Studs".....this is how its done on most studs that use a "teaser" as a matter of course. "Teaser" stallion might if he is lucky get to breed a mare or two at the end of the season.....some very nice ponies are bred from some of those studs!! Guess thats his reward for months of frustration!

4. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I didnt explain myself very well. I meant in a situation where the stallion is actually being teased up by a mare - eg. prepping the stallion for season.

The opposite of a mare being teased by a teaser.

How common is this? is it a good idea?

(not that I will be doing this or anything of the like - ect.just wondering on other situations...lol - Im not breeding anything! lol )

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

some studs/people do not have teasers.
    they would "normally" use a vet to see where the mare is at, then when the mare is ready, they would simply bring the stallion out to tease/serve the mare.
    it would be unsafe practice to use a stallion (that you are standing at stud) for teasing purpose, unless you are intending to serve.
    example: if you had two stallions, you would NOT use one stallion to tease the other stallions mares.
    cheers

6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

The situation Im referring to is where a mare was actually used constantly to 'tease up' the stallion prior to his serving mares.

The mare was taken to the stallion - a mare that was not going to be served at all in the season - on a regular basis, to 'tease' him up.

Basically so he was ready to do the job.

Its sounds ludicrous to me - as their is no need.....in my mind the stallion is always ready if the mare is (generally speaking) and its only the mare that need to be 'teased' to encourage cycling and folice production.

But that was what was being practised. Thats not really a done thing...is it?

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

mmmmm, if the mare was being used to "prep" the stallion for his duties, i think that is ok.
    i would not agree with this, if the stallion was not going to serve "a" mare after the tease.
    some stallions can be a bit "gay" about serving certain mares (hard to believe i know) but the rare ones can be quiet selective, so producing them with their "favorite" mare before the actual real mare to be served, can help get the job done.

i definately would not agree with this if the stallion was getting teased today, and then serving tomorrow or next week, if you know what i mean.
    i hope that makes sense?
    cheers

8. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

lol - it does - thankyou kindly **)

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Stallions may get the benefit of a mare (barren or doctored) to help keep their libido ripe. They are also used to collect stallions for artificial insemination...the stallion thinks he is breeding a mare but he will be collected.
    A stallions libido can go through phases but good studs know how to accomodate their "boys" so that they are consistent throughout the breeding season.

10. Smash, why would it be unsafe?:confused:
    We have never had a teaser when we stood one stallion at stud, we still don't have a teaser when we stand 2 stallions.
    We tease ALL mares with ONE stallion, regardless will he breed them on the day or they will go to the other stallion:} We have been doing it for years. The reason behind it is quite simple really, this stallion is a better teaser:)*
    In a couple of years time we'll be standing 3 stallions, but will be still teasing mares with the same stud. Why change something that's working?;)
    lena

11. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

We had a stallion that would only tease up to a bay gelding.. he had no interest in our mares regardless if they were in season or not. But he was also put on some kind of medication by the vet at one point. Can't remember what it was exactly though :eek:

Out of the 5 4 serving stallions on the property we only used one to tease up mares. He got walked around the property to see who was in season on the different paddocks. he was smaller then the rest and every bit a gentleman so it was easier to take him out then one of the other boys.

But we also did everything by AI it was rare of us to do a live cover.

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

just my opinion coolie,
    cheers :))

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

14. smash

smash Well-known Member

the "majority" of "teasers" are just so lovely to handle, and even more joyful to handle when another horse is around. NOT !!!!!!!!

now i did say majority, not all as only a few are well handled in a way that coolie is talking about.
    the MAJORITY are not.
    so it is not something i would "suggest" to others that i do not know.
    cheers

15. Smash,:D
    I am talking from personal experience based on years of teasing mares with stallions. I can't understand why a practice of doing so when having more than one stallion on the property might be "unsafe" ?:confused: Unsafe for who? For a handler? For a mare? For a teasing stallion? Or for a stallion who watches a teasing stallion? Could you please explain a bit more, please?:)*
    Thank you in advance:)*
    lena

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

colibanqh,
    i dont think there is much to explain, seems pretty common sense really.
    look if you wish to tell everyone that they should use their stallion to tease other stallions mares, that is totally up to you (that is what is being asked) i really dont give a hoot what others do with their own stallions.
    i simply would not tell someone i do not know, and i do not know who or what the stallion is (breed) on a puplic forum to do this.
    that is just me.
    but if you feel that this is a good practice for ALL to use, then go for it, as that would be YOUR OPINION.

cheers :))

17. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

I think maybe smash means teasing a mare with one stallion while the other is present. In which case I'd agree that it was unsafe, especially if the stallions weren't 100% focused on what you were telling them to do.

If one stallion was lead out, teased the mare then was put away before the other stallion was brought out then I don't see how it would be unsafe.

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

replied via PM hgj :)*

19. We don't take a stallion out of his paddock to tease mares, we bring mares to be teased to him! So I am genuinely interested in how could it be unsafe for anyone involved?
    Wher is the danger, Smash? What did you mean by tagging it "unsafe"? :confused:
    If you know of any accidents or anything else happened to other people, I would love to know about it!:}
    Could you please explain it to me and preferably not through a pm?.:)*
    cheers, lena

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

gee colibanqh, do you know of any accidents that happen when teasing ANY MARE ???????
    do you know any accidents that happen when handling frustrated stallions ???
    cheers :)*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.