Help my gelding is a rig???

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Marisi, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marisi

Marisi New Member

I have just found out that my "gelding" horse might be rig. An experienced horse lady who was riding my horse noticed it when she was out riding.
    What do I do? What processes are involved? What are the signs?

Background info:three years old rising four,appy

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Doc Martin

Doc Martin New Member

Blood test. Call vet. Simple :)

3. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

And you do know that we need a picture!!:p

4. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

its just a simple blood test to find out. a rig pretty much is a stallion with one nut. he can still get mares pregnant, can become agressive and may fight with other horses. also, becoz the undecended testicle is at a high temperature all the time, he has a big chance of developing cancer. the vets will operate and remove the undecended nut**) so definatley get the blood test, its not too expensive either

5. Marisi

Marisi New Member

Yes I am on to it. Will call first thing on Monday. I am guessing the blood test will confirm whether there is high levels of testosterone?? Has anyone else been through this?

I am still trying to work out the picture thing - any tips?

6. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

i go thru it all the time aat work. we have to keep the rigs seperated from the other horses. also, once the testicle has been removed they take several weeks to settle down.
    yes, the blood test is for testosterone levels:D

7. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I discovered that the gelding I bought my daughter had two abdominal testicles.

I first noticed that he seemed to get a bit amorous with the mares and one day actually notice he ejaculated:eek: so I made an appointment with the vet to check him out! To say we were surprised that the vet discovered testicles is an understatment - lol I thought the vet was joking with me:eek: Mushu was never agressive only loved the ladies. I booked him in for the op and had my mares all pg'd just in case.

Vet knocked him out and removed the offending testicles - then noticed that he was getting amorous with the mares again about 8 mths later so I took him back to the vet who took blood and discovered he had just a tad too much testosterone for a gelding. I left it for another 6 mths and retested his blood which came back with normal gelding readings:) So he is officially a gelding now:D

Good luck with your horse:)

8. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Wow, what a reading about your boy...glad it's all over and done with it, better for him!**)

9. pugjoey

pugjoey New Member

Can i just ask why did the horse do to make the lady think he is a rig?
    A rig is a horse with 2 testicles but only one which is descended the other is still there but it is smaller and harder to find.If your horse was gelded then i doubt the vet would have removed only one testicle.But by all means get him tested at least then you will know.
    I know of a gelding who was gelded quite late and he still acts like a stallion.
    Good luck.

10. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Sometimes in gelding though, a small piece ( sorry I dont know the technical name) that is attached to the testicles, can be left in, so although both testicles are removed it still cause RIG tendencies. They might not actually be able to impregnate a mare, but certainly can have all the behavioural issues.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  11. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Yes your right about this one...as my vet made sure he got the two testicles and two little ones behind it removed completely!

12. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

well................now you guys have me worried. i think i might need to check my husband for this problem. it would explain a lot. HEHEHE!!!!

13. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

ROFLMAO! I needed that laugh this morning:)*

I am with pugjoey on this what did your boy do for him to be suspected as a rig?

Thanks TS it has been a long road but Mushu is worth it, he is one of the nicest horses I have met albeit a stubborn one at times:) The fact alone that he was what he was and was not agressive with it or very stalliony is a testament to his temperament:) We had taken him out and about with my daughter before we discovered there was more to him - amazingly lucky that he did not act on any hormones:eek:

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I wonder who on earth thought one day to chop off their horse's nuts ???:confused: .

15. rociena

rociena New Member

Hi i also have this problem my horse was gelded 18 months ago and is still very stallion like he lives out with my mare who for about the last 6 months has not been in season i have seen him mount and enter her also he has ejaculated is it possible she could be in foal she has gotten a little rounded around the belly going to see the vet tonight to see if he will come tomorrow to scan her :(

16. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Hi Rociena welcome to stockyard:)

Oooh yep I would definitely have her preg tested just incase, and also have your gelding checked too.

Good luck:)

17. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Yes get them both tested..

How soon after he was gelded did he go in with the mare??

18. emilyst

emilyst New Member

hey i need help my gelding has been a rig for god nose how long he is now about 12 or 13 years old i just wanar no if we coud still help him to be a normal gelding a couple or years ago he uste to try to surve every mare he saw even the ones not in season now there is all mares in season and he hasent tried anythink but is there anythink i coud do to make my boy be a gelding again plz thank you u may email me for anseres and adivec at luck-star-7@hotmail.com plz please thanks

19. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Probably the same people who thought Eunichs were a good idea.

20. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

Haha okay no-one panic about your gelding being a rig... Mine was too until about a year ago. You need to get him a blood test to know for sure, then if he tests positive you'll need to get his 'hiding little friend' removed (I'm not 100% sure but I think this is a surgical process.) :)

Once this is done your boy will probably display stallion like behaviours but all in relation to the type of horse they are themselves (ie quiet horse, spirited horse etc.) My boy's settled down completely (he's a placid little thing) but can get a bit excited when the girls start squealing at his attractiveness :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.