Help! Mare yellow discharge from vulva and swollen teats?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by paulnkate, Jul 5, 2010.

1. paulnkate

paulnkate New Member

I have a 12 yr old mare that has a thick yellow discharge from her vulva. She also has swollen teats? She shouldn't be in season for another week.
    She was put in with a stallion 4-5 months ago but has been in season every 3 weeks since and did not show signs of being mated.
    What could this be?
    Vet has me trying to collect a wee sample! Any easy ways?

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

as for the wee sample I would go and have a good hard ride give her a drink then take the mare into a stable and be ready with a saucepan to catch the flow. It may take you a while or it may be quick.

It could be that she is having a phantom pregnancy, a real pregnancy (Not all mares stop cycling)or a hormone problem caused by a tumor somewhere. This really is a vet job to find out what is going on.

I would be looking for an ultrasound to check for uterine contents adn to check ovaries.

3. A stallion won't breed a mare if she is not "right".
    There is no easy way, you have to pull her out and swab her asap.
    She might transmit the uterine infection to other mares and your stallion (without an intercourse).:)))

4. paulnkate

paulnkate New Member

Thanks all,
    I caught the wee today after waiting 3 hours! Nothing wrong with it. Vet gave me some systemic antibiotics to try for 5 days. If she is still if'y after that i am supposed to go back and get a swab.
    I am concerned shouldn't they just do a swab? I am wanting to breed her this season.
    We are in isoolated pilbara, (Tom Price) so have only one part time vet available.

5. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I would get her swabbed and checked out. It might be that she is a urine pooler and have slot of fluid in there. Also you said she had been running with a stallion, did you get her preg tested? She might be in foal and presenting with placentitis jence your discharge and udder development.

6. paulnkate

paulnkate New Member

I will go to vet and demand a swab. They don't have any here and have to order one in! Unbelievable.
    She was running with a stallion - well we tried yard serving for a few nights, (he was there for 6-8 weeks) but she never seemed to come in season whilst he was there. She didn't seem to have been touched by him as her vulva was still very tight.
    She has been in season every 3 weeks since.
    She is a very big season mare and seems to be desperate to get in foal. She backs up to geldings and all.
    Perhaps i might ask for bloods as well.
    She is my only mare, and i really wanted to breed her. So cross fingers theres no damage.
    Thanks for info, i tried to google her symptoms but couldn't find anything. Might phone a vet in Perth.

7. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

As odd as it sounds I have seen mares show and even stand for a stallion while in foal. Some mares will squat and urinate around geldings in anxiety or in usual horse posturing. I am not saying it happens often but it does happen. So I wouldn't discount a pregnancy until ruled out. You could always try another vet, some are comfortable with horses and some are not