Help - In Horse Training

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by GallopGirl088, Aug 2, 2012.

1. katelol

katelol Guest

Thats surprising you say that LNT, I thought that its not nearly enough for a large underweight TB :p

I would be feeding 4 sections of hay twice a day. And cups aren't a very big measurement so 3 cups each of the different items is probably just adding up to a reasonable protein requirement. The feed looks ok to me, just double the hay if you want to see a real difference in weight :)*

2. sunline

sunline Well-known Member

you wont be able to check, unless she is scoped by the vet.

her mouth sounds like it would have been a big problem, but dont forget racehorses predominantly have ulcers its just part and parcel really..

if her behaviour continues to be girthy and aggrivated after her mouth settles down, it might do you a favour to try gastrozol or a herbal feed to help combat.

3. GallopGirl088

GallopGirl088 New Member

Thanks Sugar's Mum

4. Sikorsky76

Sikorsky76 New Member

As a trainer I see this a lot. You are not alone with this problem.
    And what I am about to say will no doubt offend you. But I have been doing this for 23 years and this is super common problem.
    Your horse is over fed and under worked. Change those two around and the problem will reduce.
    That horse is training you to put up with that crap.
    Remember race horses get put through there paces as young horses usually in stables where time isn't a virtue. Now the horse comes to you and all you want to do is be nice to the horse and he/ she responds like that.
    Firstly feed your horse just hay meadow hay is great grass in a paddock is bette always have a mineral block in the paddock. Don't stress if your horse isn't the size of a house. I would prefer a light horse that doesn't try to kill me than a fat rude horse (especially a young horse)
    Unless mine are working full time Twice a day for an hour or so seven days a week they don't get hard fed.
    It's hay and a mineral block. If they drop weight further I mix the hay up with bit of Lucerne in the morning oaten for dinner. Next day meadow for breakfast lucerne for dinner.
    If you hard feed and don't work them at least once a day depending on the horse. You will end up having to work off the food when you do ride. My colt can eat rocket fuel and barely keep his eyes open but that is his breeding and personality, yet my mare hypes up on air go figure but it's management of horses like this. (ie work lots of it )
    If they have paddocks to graze in great if not give them meadow hay lots of it.
    Horse will fatten as it develops. And TB are bred to race you can't have overweight race horses or they bust their legs. So if the horse is light on weight as long as the horse isn't so skinny you can count its back bones, if you can feel ribs that is fine or see them slightly. Just feed hay.
    Or send your horse to training where they can feed it hard food and work the horse.

5. samgard

samgard New Member

Im hoping I wont get my head bitten off for disagreeing with some of the stuff on this thread but I wanted to chuck in my two cents worth. While sending your horse to a trainer is a fantastic ideas, it is costly (and if you're like me can be difficult to afford) - ALSO, I have been training my VERY difficult WB mare (rising 5) with alot of issues needing addressing. I have found it very rewarding (and a fantastic learning experience) to do the training myself (with assistance from instructors and experienced horse trainers). Yes, it does take more time than sending to a proffessional but how do you learn if you dont do it yourself? I also have friends who have sent horses away, had them "fixed" and then started having issues with them a few months down the track once the horse realised they didnt have the knowlege to prevent it.
    I had to go back to basic groundwork after I started having issues with rearing and running away under saddle. I hated losing out on saddle time (and feeling like I was going backwards in my training) BUT the horse I have now is brilliant for having done it (in hand and under saddle). It is also possible to still have some saddle time whilst training in hand. After trying a variety of methods (Steve Brady and Andrew McClean to name a few), I used the Parelli 7 games for the ground work (with great success) and then used the John O'Leary method for remouthing (which is essential in any horse off the track). The O'Leary method has also helped with building muscle (in the correct places), obedience under saddle and working in a nice frame without resistance.
    However, I would address the following before even starting training (ridden or ground):
    Teeth - use a qualified dentist (with the right equipment) who will be able to let you know how often your horse requires doing (usually 6mo to 1yr).
    Pain issues - use a qualified proffessional who uses massage, manipulation and other therapy to assess and treat. Bowen may also be beneficial.
    Saddle - use a good saddle fitter to make sure your saddle is correct for your horse as well as fitting it correctly. I had to sell mine as it didnt suit this horse and buy another brand. Also use an elasticated girth like the pressure eze as it is more comfortable. Your bit is also important. I prefer using a full cheek snaffle to remouth and educate as it wont slide through the mouth and assists with turning.
    Wow, this is turning into a book - sorry. Also, feed wise, I have found the best way to put on weight without the fizz is Fibrebeet, Lucerne and Wheaten chaff and oaten hay. I also use Equilibrium B1 cool vitamin/mineral supplement which helps.

Hope you have success. Please keep us informed of your progress! :)