HELP! I shrank my Akubra!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Naomi, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

It still fits on my head but gives me a headache, does anyone know how to re-stretch them? I know it's hard because the leather band inside is what shrinks but just thought it's worth a try. I've just steamed it and forced it over a bowl in the hope that will stretch it but I think I may have stuffed my trusty little hat =(

2. westie2009

westie2009 Active Member

Mine has shrunk too so I'd be interested to know how to fix it aswell!!:(

3. southwardKIWI

southwardKIWI Well-known Member

Stretching Hats - Leather/Fur Felts

Leather - you need to be sitting down. Put your hands & knee inside the crown & give gradual pulls, try on after each pull to ensure you do not overstretch. After each stretch, rotate the hat so you are stretching evenly around the crown.
    Fur Felts/Akubra put the hat over steam then use the same procedure as with Leather shown above.

4. westie2009

westie2009 Active Member

Thanks Southward kiwi!! I'll give that a try!!:)*

5. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

I was told by a old drafter years ago that to get your hat to fit soak it and let it dry on your head, it works to get them to shape to your head so cant see why it wont work to un-shrink your hat:)*

6. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

was always told to shower in it and let it dry on ur head, will fit perfectly again :D

7. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

My dad use to tell me to stand in the pool with my boots on when I was younger to make them fit better. I never did :p

8. Agri2

Agri2 New Member

Shrinking Akubra

i know this might seem a bit drastic seeing as everyone loves their akubras but when mine shrank i just borrowed a quick unpick for sewing and pulled out the leather strip inside the hat. This gave me plenty more room and now it fist really good. This might not be possible for some people seeing as some akubras have a silk lining on the inside.

So the best way to do it:
    1. Remove hat band (depending on which one you have it might slide of or you will have to unpick the stitching)
    2. Pull leather ring towards the inside of the hat revealing the stitching underneath.
    3.Start cutting the stitching (you may only have to cut a few the be able to pull the ring and the rest will follow)
    4. There you have it! a great fitting akubra :)* !!
    *if you are careless with how you go about this i do not take any responsibility for you're lack of patience and will not take the blame for your hat being ruined

9. Lil Dove

Lil Dove Well-known Member

This happened to mine cos i left it in the car, for a long time haha

What I do is boil a pot of water and stick my hat on the pot and leave it there for about i dunno 3mins or so, then I put a tea towl on my head and shove my hat on and walk around the house with it like that until its dried up and then removed the tea towl and it fits perfect :) It moulds to your head shape and super comfy, I think using a bowl would put it out of shape a bit when its dried!

10. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

from the Akubra website...

Akubra as a rain hat

Your Akubra makes a great rain hat. However if it becomes wet it is important that it be cared for correctly. Do not force dry the hat if it has become wet. The inside leather band will shrink and once this happens it is hard to stretch back to its original size. Akubra hats are shower-proof and include a water proofing solution. As the hat ages the water proofing during manufacture may break down and the felt will absorb water. However, generally your head will remain dry.

11. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

soak them and put them over a soccer ball or something mesureing your head size and let it dry on it

12. Gary Bondeso

Gary Bondeso New Member

I was thinking of cutting out the inner hat band but thought it prudent to check if others had tried that. After reading all the suggestions, I did what I thought to be the least damaging and stretched the hat as suggested using my knee and hand. I worked but as it was obviously sweat that originally caused the inner band to shrink, I turned the band inside out and smeared it with Dubbin in the hope that it will become more water resistant and pliable making the next stretch much easier. I never used steam as was suggested.

13. Jordy D

Jordy D Active Member

I stretch and re-shape hats. Akubra and other western brands.