help! i cant stop

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Horselady, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Horselady

Horselady New Member

hi all,

when trotting on my mare at times i find it quite difficult to stop and when cantering she is hard to bring back to trot and will almost canter on the spot. at the walk she is fine and will stop on command from my voice but it seems she gets over excited when we go faster and just dosnt want to listen. i hate pulling on her mouth, but sometimes it seems to be my only option.
    does anyone have any excercises or tips they can recomend i try?

Cheers in advance

2. Marz

Marz Well-known Member

I would suggest lots of transitions- if she's getting excited maybe she's had the reward of being able to hoon off with her last rider/owner?

let her know that just because she's cantering doesn't mean that she can stop listening- give her things to think about besides "go"- 10/20m circles, serpentines 1/2 ten and return.

How is she when you lunge her with trot & canter? Even put trot polls at the quarter marks of the circle while lunging so she can't just hoon off.

Also make sure your hands aren't coming down and into your crotch- this usually result in leaning forward- taking off the breaks and essentially letting her go again. Remember your deep seat and lift your hands. You'll have much more power & balance.

Maybe she needs a different bit? I'm no expert on them but it might help her listen again- you could swap back after?

Sorry if this isn't very coherent.

3. Marz

Marz Well-known Member

Also half halts **) when you feel her change gear half halt her with your body until she's back under you, see how slow you can get her- she'll listen much better to "stop" if she's already paying attention to your seat.

4. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

Also a good question for myself or others... i presume she is a TB.... how long has she been off track, how old is she?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  5. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

I would suggest you teach her to disengage her HQ (with ground work first). Disengage at the walk 1st when on her back, then as soon as you put her into the trot to make sure it works correctly. Always ensure she fully disengages not just turning her back end. Once it is all working safely, as soon as you ask her to slow down and she doesn't disengage, before she can build up too much forward energy. It won't take her long to realise that it's a lot less hard work just to slow down a bit than to have to disengage and stop completely. Repetition and consistency will solve the problem :)

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

horse lady I am going to go out on a limb and say if you dont have the knowledge to install brakes then maybe it might be really worthwhile to get a trainer for you and your horse simply because they are the most vital thing for a horse to have.

A good trainer/instructor will be able to teach you this one far easier then trying to get an understanding of what people are trying to teach through words which are open to interpretation.

7. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

Totally Agree sugars mum! It sounds like she needs remouthing, I had to get Barney remouthed a few years back, he went from a rushy and couldn't be on the buckle at all, to a calm horse that listened! It was like the chill switch was used! It'll cost u a few hundred or more but it's a life saver. The disengaging of the hind quarters is used with a one rein stop and that needs to be trained to the horse and also needs a lateral mouth.

8. Horselady

Horselady New Member

Thanks for those excellent tips everyone! it was all really helpful, will definiately be giving them a go:)