HELP!! cat people, I didnt know lavender oil was toxic to cats!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by katharlley, Feb 15, 2012.

1. katharlley

katharlley Active Member

HELP!! I put a couple of drops of lavender oil on the back of my cats neck and back. It didnt even cross my mind that it is toxic to cats because its ok for dogs.

He started to lick it and started drooling at the mouth and is acting really paranoid, he got outside and now I cant catch him. I am really worried about him! I dont know what to do, extensive drooling at the mouth cant be a good thing but I cant catch him because he is like dialing out like he is paranoid and will hide then bolt just before i get to him.

Any suggestions? I have tried food to at least get him in the house but no good.

Before anyone gets nasty with the "I should of know, how stupid are you?!" comments, if you dont have anything helpfull to say dont say anything at all. Generally I am a very responsible animal owner and he is the only cat I have ever had and simply didnt know.

Cheers

2. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

Vets asap, is all i can suggest.

Um ps. why did you put lavender on the cats neck? its no use for fleas.....?

3. Papsrus

Papsrus New Member

Yorkie Lavender Oil is used on dogs to repel fleas and ticks.

ETA: Just did a quick google search and it can lead to liver damage and possibly death, so I would be taking kitty to the vet if I were you.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

ah ok ive never heard of the remedy before thats why i asked.... no attack intended at all..

5. katharlley

katharlley Active Member

ok managed to catch him and wash it off the best i can. drooling stopped. poor sam never been washed, dont want to do that again!
    will keep him inside overnight to make sure he will be ok.

because he had eaten something gross (goodness knows where he got it from) and smelt rank and i thought it would be nice for him to come in for a while because it was so hot today and he is usually an outside cat.

6. Lucy11

Lucy11 Active Member

Oh your poor kitty! Yep would be calling Murdoch to see what they advise.

My cat had a reaction to something outside recently - was drooling and foaming at the mouth. Luckily it subsided very quickly but the vet I spoke to on the phone at Murdoch was great.

Good luck and I hope he starts to feel better soon :)

7. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Just see if you can keep an eye on him. I wouldn't go chasing him around as it may stress him more and cause him more toxicity. I am guessing if it causes toxicity it may and I mean just may affect his liver and kidneys.

Let him chill under the house and when he calms down see if you can get him inside. I would then get him to pee in a litter tray and if his wee has blood in it or is dark in colour he may have some kidney damage. Maybe PM Beagle or AnnaE and they will be able to give you more info.

He will probably be fine if it was only a few drops. Don't feel bad I have done silly things too. My cat got double dosed with flea stuff once (I think it was frontline) as I did her and then my husband thought I had forgotten so put another dose on her. She drooled at the mouth for half a day and vomited but then got over it. She has not been affected in the long term.

8. Lucy11

Lucy11 Active Member

Oops didn't see you other post.

Its good the drooling has stopped. Must be starting to feel better!

9. katharlley

katharlley Active Member

Geez what a scare!! Yes the liver damage was what I was worried about.
    I rang the vets, and they basically said they arent sure, and if the foaming dosnt stop then bring him in. If the vets here where any good and he was still foaming or showing other symptoms I would consider taking him in, but I doubt they would do much, and for an after hours fee, half an hour drive and bubs on my own, not really desperate enough atm.
    I just dont have unlimited $$ to be told there isnt much they can do and to wait it out. I have had enough experience with pretty much every other animal while living remote to handle this kind of thing.

I am doing my diploma in equine and small animal acupuncture so I have done some needling, and he is now chilling after having something to eat. I will have to find a litter tray now, so i can keep an eye on him.

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery, thanks for your help everyone :D

10. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Hey Katharlley
    No specific antidote for lavender oil. Bath him and then bath him again to make sure it's all out.... Vets would probably give fluids but that's about all they could do: bloods to tell you how bad the damage is might help put your mind at ease, but other than that supportive care is about all we vets could do.
    If you do acupuncture, try some points that are liver and stomach supportive - the back shu points spring to mind as well as GV20 to calm him down
    ETA: you've already done that acupuncture!! I shall shut up now...

Note to all: MOST volatile oils are potentially toxic to cats - this includes tea tree and eucalyptus. DON"T use them topically as the cat will almost always groom them off: they lack a very specific enzyme in their liver to break down the organic something or others which give oils their smell...

11. katharlley

katharlley Active Member

Thanks Anna E, pretty much what the other vet said and what I suspected. Always good to have it confirmed by another qualified profesional to put my worried mind at ease. he is sleeping it off on the bed i made him in the laundry where its quiet and dark. Poor little bugger, im not a cat person but sam is particularly special, hence the only cat i have ever had because im actually allergic lol. will post tomorrow to update :))

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm glad your cat is doing ok! Keep us updated!

I had one last year drink toilet cleaner! She too was drooling. Usually the vets run bloods and then put on fluids and it flushes out the system and its basically a matter of time! Its the same at any vet you go too :). Unfortunately it didn't show on our cats bloods at all! So exploration surgery was done then discovered she had been poisoned! Should of been dead apparently! But even on deaths door, the fluids worked and she was home in a few days :). Vet bill for surgery, fluids and bloods was only $1000.

13. katharlley

katharlley Active Member

Arnie 1k is very reasonable for what your vet did! Our country vets charge an arm and a leg up here! When one of our dogs got something in his eye and it started turning that milky white overnight, we rushed in to the vet, they had a look said they are not sure, said flush his eyes twice a day and put these drops in and that was over $600!! no surgery, bloods, fluids, removal of anything or tests. AND the drops where the cheap part at $30!
    Glad your puss puss made it too, its amazing what some can cope with *#)

Sam is up and about all cuddly and relaxed lol I dont think I have seen him this clean ever after his bath lol

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I found this out after a very expensive new years day this year when I accidently used the dog's flea spot on treatment on the poor cat. Just to add to tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender...permethrin (which the flea treatment had in it :(,
    Peppermint
    Lemon Oil
    Lavender Oil
    Melaleuca Oil
    Tea Tree Oil
    Cinnamon Bark Oil
    Wintergreen Oil
    Thyme Oil
    etc etc :(

15. katharlley

katharlley Active Member

pleased to report Sam is alive and well, large as life and stwice as dangerous :)*

16. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

I found out the hard way too. My mum had asked me to put flea powder on her 3 legged cat and within a few minutes of putting the powder on he was frothing at the mouth and not in a very good state. Turns out he was allergic to the ingredients in the flea powder. The vet gave him fluids and kept him overnight for observation and he was fine.

I'm glad your kitty is ok Katherly. My boy gets bathed once a month in baby shampoo and I've never had any fleas on him :)