Helmets

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by chavi, Sep 10, 2003.

1. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

What type of helmets do you like to use? For looks, for comfort? I have an older standard dublin eventer that I still wear (opps, naughty me. I'm buying a new one with next weeks pay). And a current standard velvet one that I've never worn, as I don't like to use it for everyday. What would you buy if you were going out to get a new one?

- Danielle

2. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I only have one helmet, but have only had it for about 1 year. When i first started riding at the riding school they had helmets to borrow and when we first got tristan i rode with a bike helmet (not good), jeans and sneakers, but now I have proper riding boots, from saddleworld, and a few pairs of joddies. My helmet is a Dublin Eventer AS/NZS 3838 so it is a good one, it is just white though. I am thinking about getting a black one. I went to a pc show and that seemed to be what everyone was riding in.

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I have an AussieRider one for my everyday riding but its not up to the proper standards. My show one (which is white) is a nz/aus 3838. Soon I'll get a nice proper velvet helmet for showing and use the 3838 for my everyday riding...

~§Arnie§~

4. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

I tend to fall off when wearing a helmet. Dad makes me wear an old white (brand???) one, but mostly I prefer the freedom of riding without one. I generally bounce well enough and if one day I don't, well, that's something I'll have to live with (or maybe not)

5. MINTY

MINTY Active Member

My everyday riding helmet is a white dublin cool rider, I just purchased a Derby classic navy show helmet for $169 this is used only at shows very comfy and fits well has a nice soft leather harness.

Kelly

6. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

I have a cool rider Minty......i find them uncomfortable, do you? Not enough padding (hence to keep it cool). So I have a an old standard black one that i use for everyday rding and also a new show velvet 3838 with the nice leather harness given to me brand new never worn, still in the box....*score*. No to mention the old/other velvet cap i got from England yonks ago and other older white helmets sitting around.

Ness

7. MINTY

MINTY Active Member

Zahira I find the same problem with the cool rider not much padding so moves around on my head a little.

Kelly

8. Veronika

Veronika Active Member

I've got a Cool Rider as well (older style than what's in the new horseland cat), and it does move a bit now that it's a bit older. You can pad it up a bit more (they included some extra pads in mine when i got it 3 years ago). I like it because of it's light weight and the Dublin on pushed down on the back of my skull too much (I only had 2 to choose from).
    I always rode in a helmet when i was a kid because I would have been grounded had mum caught me without one. As I got back into riding 3 year ago, i started not wearing one. Luckily, the day that I had my worst fall ever, I had this feeling when I was saddling up that I should put one on. I didn't feel like something bad was going to happen, just that it would be a good idea to put one on. Funny that. If I hadn't been wearing one, I would have copped a really nice concuscion - would probably been lying in the paddock for a while without help and all that...
    Got to love those Guardian Angels.

Still, I'm looking for one with bigger vents in them to ride in in Summer. Any suggestions?

9. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

i have a casco master helmet for working at home......so comfy and cool!!!!

and for shows i have 2 charles owens, they look so much nicer for the hack ring than those classic derby ones.

p.

10. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Im naughty as well ! I bought new 3838 black velvet wayyyy back in Feb but i haven't competed ( in ridden ) all year and it has never been worn so I would hate to think what standard the one I do wear is ( probably PC from at least 5 years ago ) - but it is comfy !!
    [​IMG]

11. kt

kt Active Member

3838 for pony club and then a 3838 velvet for shows - does ne1 else find these look huge on you and make ur head look twice as big as it is? I feel like a bouf head!

~~~~kt~~~~

12. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

I think it is because of the extra points on the harness and the thickness and material used now KT, makes it look bigger than the ones in the old days. But i agree, you look like you have a huge watermelon on your head.

13. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

I just want to know if any of you people have fallen off and hit ya head wearing a helmet, do you replace it? what are your thoughts?
    I do wear a helmet when riding and in the past I have replaced a helmet after a fall just incase it doesn't save me the next time. Although I don't fall over very often and when I do, I bounce. I just want to know on that odd occasion I fall off, is my helmet is going to do the job properly if it's been smacked on the ground b4? I also believe it's a personal choice of each adult rider whether to use a helmet or not.

~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses!~ r.b. cunningham graham

14. kt

kt Active Member

i think you r meant to get a new helemt if you fall off and hit your head, having said that I stacked it a while ago, whacked my head and got mild concussion and I havent replaced my helmet yet! oooops! I know they definately say you should...

~~~~kt~~~~

15. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Recently I was show a damaged helmet that really made me think "My god, I don't care if we all look like boof-heads, these helmets REALLY work!" This helmet had the perfect shape of a hoof imprinted into it where the rider had fallen off in front of her horse (only trotting) and the horse had trodden onto her helmet! If she hadn't been wearing it she would've been dead I think!

Ali

16. kt

kt Active Member

ouch!!!!!!!! doesnt really matter if you look like a boof head ne way coz every1 else does too

~~~~kt~~~~

17. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

the times i have had falls that have involved my head hitting the ground the helmet has been replaced.

as for looking like a boofhead with the safety helmets at shows - i'd rather look like a boofhead than a vegetable!

also it depends on the brand and style you go for.

p.

18. kt

kt Active Member

lol....yeh

~~~~kt~~~~

19. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

Isn't it strange how sometimes when ya fall off and you don't remember if you have hit ya head, but then next morning you wake up and ya neck aches where you have strained it with the weight of ya noggin?! lol

~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses!~ r.b. cunningham graham

20. robbi

robbi Active Member

Hey,
    i wear a Dublin dunno what type (bad memory)... i know its a 3838 and it does make my head a boof head and i find mine to be very very hot!!

Once i fell off over a jump went over the horses head and fell face first it broke my visor off my helmet (its was snapped bits everywhere and cracks in my helmet) and i got whip lash so i bought a new one that i have now...You can never be tooo careful! [​IMG]

~:p~*Jess* & *Malley*~:p~
    "Any Sire Can Be A Breeder, But Only The Great Sires Breed On"