Helmet Vent

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by goog, Aug 11, 2012.

1. goog

goog Well-known Member

I understand that it's peoples choice weather to wear one or not, but in just a handful of posts it's pretty obvious that the benefits of wearing a helmet far out weigh not wearing one. I also find it strange when people say it doesn't affect anyone else if i don't. Potentially maybe not if you don't get hurt but what if you got seriously hurt or even killed? Wouldn't family and friends be affected by this?

I know i shouldn't care but so often I just want to yell at people put your Flipping helmet on!!!!

2. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

Goog - tbh I've had more of a close call with getting a head injury from standing on the ground by a hoof to the head than from falling off so does everyone wear a helmet handling their horse on the ground?

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Wasnt it fantastic to see the Gold Medal winning Dressage rider wearing a helmet instead of a top hat!!

And from another top level rider - something to watch and consider - please.

Courtney King Dye - Riders4Helmets - YouTube

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yep, I always wear a helmet no matter what horse I'm riding.

It's hot up here, so I've bought a helmet to suit the conditions with adequate ventilation **)

If someone doesn't wear a helmet when they get on a horse, yeah I may set my jaw for a few seconds and think 'you stupid idiot, you should be wearing a helmet' but then I do a double check that the chin strap is fitting all right on mine and away we go. If people don't want to wear a helmet, that's fine, that's their choice but don't come looking to me for sympathy when you come a gutsa and have hurt your head :}

The thing that ticks me off is when you see on TV or in magazines people learning to ride or going out on a trail ride or things like and the students/paying guests are all wearing helmets yet their leader isn't :confused: Seen it several times in Outback Magazine where the trainees are all wearing helmets and those employed aren't ';'

It's called 'leading by example' and I know within myself that I always set an example and make sure I'm wearing a helmet, my boots are safe and my stirrups are the correct size for me.

5. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I do wear a helmet for ground work and things that I think may put me at risk of a strike in the head eg tending to wounds on a horses legs etc. common sense if you ask me.

Arnie, I like your thinking, I don't often agree with you, but I do this time. It is a choice but if people do not wear helmets they should have to pay extra $$$ to medicare for their future costs. Once they have fallen off and been injured I'd hate to think my hard earned tax dollar go to fund their care. Sounds harsh but hey, JMO!!!

6. goog

goog Well-known Member

when I got kicked in the face by my horse I was on the ground and I was wearing a helmet, if I hadn't been I probably would have ended up dead! So yes generally if I am on the ground I wear a helmet too, more likely because I'm going to ride as well.

I understand that there are always going to be risks when dealing with horses and you can't rule out or protect yourself against everything. I just personally find the whole no helmet thing really arrogant.