Helmet Vent

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by goog, Aug 11, 2012.

1. goog

goog Well-known Member

Ok, what is it with people not wearing helmets when horse riding? It really gets to me when I see riders riding in clinics or competing without helmets, especially those people who are clearly learning to ride or a little bit inexperienced. Soo who rides without a helmet and why???

2. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

yeah I see it alot also, I have commented at times and its always the same "the horse is bombproof or the rider is experienced" my Dads closest friend who was an out and out horseman with decades of experience learnt the very hard way that a split second is exactly that. He never recovered and the one good thing to come from that was all who knew him or of him now never mount a horse without a helmet.

3. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

should also mention it was at home on a very safe reliable old plodder.

4. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

its my choice. i choose not to.

i will wear a helmet if i fell less than secure on a horse, but all my injuries have occured from the ground - not from falling on the ground either! lol.

my children MUST wear a helmet, when they are 18, they can then choose.

5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

helmets are so much better then they used to be. I try to never ride without one on. Have been saved from injury too many times to not want to wear one.

6. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I only ride without a helmet if it is hot, but no matter how hot it is, if I am riding a horse I don't know or trust, there will be a helmet on my head.

I have spent fair to much time and money, turing my brain into a money maker I don't want to scramble it falling off a horse.

7. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

When I was young and felt bullet proof I rode without one but these days I won't get on a horse without one. I'm even starting to think I should get a body protector too.

8. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

I always ride with a helmet just because I always have and feel funny without it. My husband won't wear one and that bothers me because he is still learning to ride.

9. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I wear a helmet everywhere but the beach. Coz at the beach we are normally swimming them, and if I fall off in the water... I get wet. I trust both my horses completely, but whenever I jump on them to school or compete my helmet is on my head.

10. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I do, except at the beach in the water where it could be more hazardous on than off.

The reasons for wearing a helmet are far more compelling than for going without. It's a simple pro vs con decision.

11. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

I used to care about 'others' wearing a helmet (or not) but I don't anymore :D
    So long as it's not my head, nor one of my kids' I truly don't care :D
    Its not like the medicare levy or my tax bill will be reduced if helmets were compulsory, so I dont think it affects me one iota what other people choose to do with their head. :D

12. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Im with Natty. I wear one except at the beach, and my kids wear helmets, but I honestly dont worry what others do or dont do. If someone asked my opinion on whether or not they should wear a helmet, then I would give all the reasons why you should wear one, but I dont go there unless asked.

I went through a long stage of not wearing a helmet, but too old and breakable now!;)

13. Pocket Rocket

Pocket Rocket Well-known Member

It doesnt bother me what other people do, have seen quite a few falls with helmets on that have saved them though...

Except at the beach I will also have a helmet on my head when I ride my boy , he has his little quirks so with him helmet is on :)

with my old girl, I will jump on her bareback in halter and leadrope and come up from the drive way with no helmet on.

New horses I will always have a helmet on.

If my horses have a saddle on I will have a helmet on :)

14. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I'm converting to helmet every ride :) It helps to have finally found a helmet that doesn't give me headaches :)

I was a bit disappointed to see one of the Olympic Showjumpers remove his helmet as he exited the main arena at London....and then ride back to his teammates. That's not the best example to be setting at that level with several billion starstruck kids watching. On the other hand, when I go to campdrafting, I see very few helmets. I'm stunned, I think this sport has soooo many oppurtunities for falls (slippery mud, crazy cows). But....each to their own :)

15. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

I always wear a helmet, no matter what.

I love the old saying "If you don't think your brain is worth putting in a helmet, then it's probably not."

(not that I am overzealous or anything *#))

16. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

It's not only horses and helmets ... Most farmers go out on their bikes without helmets :( A friend of mime had his head split open when he fell from his ag bike mustering sheep. His head hit a rock. He wore a helmet for a while after he'd recovered, then went right back to no helmet ';'

I vote for helmets **)

17. kyles76

kyles76 Active Member

Please don't think you'll only get wet if you come off at the beach :confused:
    Whilst having a Eventing Squad (so granted we were going quite hard!) training session at the beach my horse was swept off his feet by a wave we both went under the water (I ended up under him) and as he was desperately trying to find his feet he struck my head at least once. It could have been very serious had I not had my helmet on. Shame it didn't help my wrist but rather that than a head injury :p
    On a more somber note, my friend was killed by a horse accident on the beach. She had undone her helmet strap but it was still on her head, her horse spooked and she fell and very unfortnatley a stick penetrated her skull (through the temple), she was rendered brain dead.
    I respect every persons (adult) right to make their own decisions on whether to wear a helmet or not. Like everything in life I think so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else you are entitled to do as you choose. (although it could be argued that others would be hurt if you were killed)
    Stupidly though I must admit the last two times I've been to the beach I haven't worn a helmet cos I didn't want to get it wet :eek:....writing this post has reminded me why I will next time.

18. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

I've had a horse go down on me (literally on me) at the beach too. It's the only time I've honestly been scared for my life. If anything it's actually more dangerous because it's harder for them to get up. I was bringing a horse out of water (his first time at the beach and he'd gone in an worked very well) when he spooked at the last minute. He jumped into me because there was another horse on that side. Knocked me clean off my feet and then fell over me. I was under water and under him while he thrashed about struggling to get up. I copped his legs in my back, leg, arm and head. I was very very lucky that only his legs struck me and not his feet.

It was a complete accident, just ones of those things but it could've been so much worse.

We still don't wear helmets at the beach but now use 2 lead ropes with a person either side of new horses when leading in and out. Just putting it out there that just because you fall in the water doesn't make it any less dangerous.

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I always ride with a helmet and do not respect anyones 'right' not to wear one but I manage to keep my opinion to myself half the time ;).

Come to my property though and you leave your 'rights' at the gate.

When my kids turn 18, if they choose not to wear a helmet I will be seriously seriously disappointed in them for being so negligent.

20. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

I'm like jlnew it's my choice and unless required I don't wear a helmet, is probably a bit if a discipline thing as well I've been mainly a western rider and in western it not unusual to see no helmets.