Heating up on Equijewel?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Brodie1808, Mar 25, 2009.

1. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

ive always had the understanding that bran or pollard is really bad for mares in foal/foal at foot, because of something to do with it eliminating calcium or lack of calcium or something like that!!! sure someone could clarify

2. FDPH

FDPH Guest

I think you might be right Minninup Road thats why I stopped feeding it shortly after the mare foaled, maybe two weeks, also I was told it's not a good feed when it is really hot as I have also heard that fed too much of over a long period can cause fatty deposits around the heart!!! Don't know if that is true either? Would be interesting to know
    It does make them put on weight quickly I've only ever used it short term though.

3. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Manninup Road.....I think it is more that vits/mins that you MIX with bran is eliminated.

I never felt the need to feed bran as it has no nutrional value (from what I have been told over the years)

Equijewel has certainly helped put weight on my guy...highly recommend it.

4. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Babe do you know much about pollard?

5. smash

smash Well-known Member

this is impossible FDPH it is just an old wives tale.
    both bran and pollard have their uses in balancing out feed rations (for phosphorous levels) but like anything, it can be abused and often is.
    cheers

6. FDPH

FDPH Guest

thanks for that smash.

7. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Used rice bran and also equijewel.
    Rice bran required more than twice the amount to add weight and keep weight on.
    Horse was also calmer and looked better on equijewel.
    Unless Rice bran is less than $20 there is no real saving compared to Equijewel?
    That has just been in my experience though...

8. well my mare has been on it for .. 1 and a half weeks i think today..
    she looks bloody awesome.. but shes also a nut..
    lunged her today and she usually plods around quietely. today we got some huge vertical rears and trying to take off. leading her we got rear after rear. and for the last few days she will gallop around her paddock for hours.. till she is sweating and heaving :(
    me thinks she has too much energy. unsure if it is feed related.. but ill give it a few more days.. and see what happens

9. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Hmmm..I suppose you all are gonna run off and buy Copra now?
    What works for one horse may not work on another...all I can see are results in the horses.

Have fed Copra....not a fan.

10. smash

smash Well-known Member

this is bran and pollards nutrician levels.
    i dont know if these figures will stay or get all buched together when i post.

bran
    DM (kg) DE (mj) CP (g)
    0.5 6.2 7.8

Ly. (g) Ca. (g) P. (g) Mg. (g)
    2.8 0.6 5.7 2.8

Na. (g) K. (g) Mn. (mg) Zn. (mg)
    0.3 6.2 60.3 49.5

Fe. (mg) Cu. (mg) I. (mg) Se. (mg) Co.(mg)
    73.4 6.4 0.0 0.3 0.036

Vit.A Vit.D Vit.E Thiamin Riboflavin
    529.7 0.0 7.2 4.2 1.8

pollard
    DM (kg) DE (mj) CP (g)
    0.5 5.9 70.2

Ly. (g) Ca. (g) P. (g) Mg. (g)
    2.6 0.6 4.1 0.0

Na. (g) K. (g) Mn. (mg) Zn. (mg)
    0.0 5.4 46.8 27.9

Fe. (mg) Cu. (mg) I. (mg) Se. (mg) Co.(mg)
    0.0 8.3 0.0 0.0 0

Vit.A Vit.D Vit.E Thiamin Riboflavin
    2340.0 0.0 19.8 0.0 0.0

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

mmm they all bunched together LOL LOL
    but i think ya can work it out LOL
    they have stayed in the correct line, but are just side by side instead of a gap between the numbers
    neither are NOT with out values, they are useful to balance out feed ratios.
    hope his helps
    oh nearly fogot, the above is worked on 500 grams of each
    cheers

12. nup.. its apparently not available australia wide until may..

and i dont feed it anyway. :)

13. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

*waves to smash* hey! long time no see :)

I've fed Ricebran .. loved it, didn't find it heating, but my fault for not putting it in a watertight container lol .. doesn't mix with rain very well haha.

The only thing I've found heating for Hon was 'coolmax' .. she didn't stay on that long at all.

Smash - would you mind if I PM'd you a feed question (not related to this subject)? :)

14. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Well-known Member

Programs like feedXL make feeding much easier to understand. Without it I would be lost, all these numbers do my head in *#)

I was told the same thing as what Smash is saying about bran and pollard. They are not bad if feed in balanced amounts.

Also, keep an eye on how much digestable energy you are feeding to your horse. If you are feeding over its daily need, then it will most likely be a bit more energetic. However if you are trying to fatten up your horse then you will need to feed over its daily intake but if you are riding them then I would try not to go too much over. Try to do it gradually and with 'cool' feeds i.e. Lauren616713! :p he he he

I am keeping a close eye on my TB atm as I slowly up and introduce new things to his diet, so far so good but I don't want to push it! :}

This is just my understanding of it all anyway.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  15. nag

nag Well-known Member

my horse heated up on pegasus liberty that has equijewel in it

16. FDPH

FDPH Guest

Can someone please tell me how much Copra you should feed a 450kg horse per day to maintain a horse that is in medium work, I have not long started to feed copra which i might add does not impress the horses much but have had problems getting the amounts right ? What are peoples opions on this sorry a little by track but have noticed heaps of people use it and think it's good stuff.

17. smash

smash Well-known Member

FDPH
    it all depends on what you feed WITH IT.
    lots of things work, but it all depends on a WHOLE RATION not just one part of it.for example, everyone feeds chaff (white and green), yet no one says how wonderful it is. try feeding all the other ingredience with out chaff.
    FDPH dont look for ONE ingredience to make a difference, as it is the WHOLE ingredence that needs to be balanced to work.
    you would be suprised at a simple balanced diet could do for a horse.
    i have come to realise that people LOVE complicating a very simple exercise.
    the more simple it is, the more a horse person will complicate it.
    but to answer your question, no one can answer you as no one has an idea on what you are feeding your 450 kilo horse to see what balance you would need.
    pm if you like (make sure you hav weighed each ingredience you are feeding) and i will tell you what you need to know (be quick, computer is getting packed tomorrow, as we are moving to VICTORIA) yippeeeeee
    oh and stick your email in there and i will email you the results
    cheers

18. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

Victoria OMG woot!

Extra close now Smashy!

I summons you to come back to visit!!! lol lol lol

19. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Just letting you guys know I put my 25yo on equi-jewel yesterday, I'll let you's know if I find a change in behavior and weight in about a month **)

20. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I have been told by a few people to stay away from it as its heating (equi jewel) so I have. I have fed liberty and as been said it does have equi jewel in it and it was heating but also my horse did like the big cubes and found it hard , he is 17