Heating up on Equijewel?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Brodie1808, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

Hi,
    just wondering if anyone has experienced any 'hottness' from equijewel? have been feeding it to my ottb for the last week, and he seems to be a different horse!! Previously i struggled to get him moving he was so lazy, and nothing bothered him. Now hes acting all stereotypical ex racehorse.

Nothing else has changed in his diet, so im thinking it has to be it, but i thought it was meant to be non heating? thoughts?

2. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Yep I've seen the same thing. My friends warmblood lost the plot on Equijewel. I guess all horses are different and get heated up over different feeds!

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

yes!!!!!! lazy little lead rein pony thought he was big snorting stallion:(

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl Well-known Member

My OTTB mare is on equijewel and I haven't noticed much of a difference in her behaviour, but yet turned into a nutbag on Mitavite Xtra-Cool which has far less in it compared to equijewel. I really think it comes down to the individual when it comes to feeding.

5. i have just started my OTTB on it :)

she has been a bit more energetic but thats good because usually shes a plod that doest move :eek:

she has only been on it a week though. i wonder if i will find more difference over the longer period she is on it :)

6. SpArTiAn

SpArTiAn Well-known Member

yep... my usually quiet, laid back eventer went a bit nuts on equi-jewel LOL so have changed all my horses to omega feeds weight gain **)

7. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Yep, 2 of mine have turned hot on it :)

8. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

It is highly uncommon for horses to heat up on Equi-Jewel as it a high fat based feed supp.**)

When you feed horses up to improve condition, they will start to feel better, and be more energetic and lively. They show their true colours! This will happen regardless of what you are feeding!:)*

More work is the only answer.

Many people get caught out when they buy that "so quiet" skinny half dead ex-racer. The lack of good feeding and high work levels keep them flattened mentally and physically. Until the new owner starts to feed them up to look like a lovely show hack.:D:))

9. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I've got my OTTB on equijewel and the only change is his coat has gotten better and he's slowly gaining weight

i put him to being perkier down to that he is getting fitter and the days are starting to get cooler.

10. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Well-known Member

My 8month OTTTB got 1kg for about 3 months and never showed any changes in behaviour or energy. :)))

Are you introducing it in small amounts?

I suppose the only way to tell would be to cut it out and see what happens.

11. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

How much is a bag of it? and what size is the bag?
    Would a cup or 2 a day be good for an oldie, in addition to his studmaster?

12. the bag cost me $54 for 20kg!! , you dont need to feed that much of it though. bella gets .5 a kilo a day and she is looking GREAT .
    it is a high fat feed im sure if you needed him to gain condition it wouldnt do any harm ;)

13. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

Ive started him out on a cup of it, with his regular feed. Hes been off the track for a couple of years and was used as a pleasure horse before i got him, so i dont think its from going to one extreme to the other.

Im going to keep him on it for now as its made a difference in his appearance and i dont fancy wasting the bag considering how much it costs! Hes not too hard to handle, just completly different to what he was before! so was just wondering if it could be the feed, or somthing else. Maybe he is just feeling good! lol ;)

14. FDPH

FDPH Guest

All my campdrafting horses got pretty strung out on it, as soon as I changed backed to performa oil they were fine.

15. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Well there you go!
    I used to feed Liberty, which has equijewel added. I had no problem, although the bloke i was feeding it to is a bit of a nutter anyway :p
    Certainly going to be noting this!! Especially since FDPH & cait both mentioned having to change to another high fat supplement, and they're horses go back to normal.
    Anyone got the details of whats in equijewel?

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

isnt equijewel basically just rice bran repackaged with a some added vitamins ?????
    cheers lol

17. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

For the price people are paying for it, i hope not!!! lol
    but...... you never know **)

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

me finks ya should check it out siren LOL

(sorry been having a good figgle for a little while about this)

19. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

i cant, i dont buy it :p
    just taking notes for future reference (in my noggin)

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

ok, well BASICALLY sirens it is rice bran repackaged LOL
    they call it "stablized" rice bran, which is what the ORIGINAL rice bran is, as you cant feed unstablized ricebran to horses (they wont eat it).
    they say they have balanced out the ca and p levels, but dont say they have added anything ?? so i dont know how they did that LOL
    so either way, you are paying double th price for a pretty bag LOL
    sorry
    cheers